Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Longest time with type 3
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
batoni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

Hello folks
First,Happy holidays to all!
Dont know if it was posted before,but I am wandering who has the longest owning type 3? Any owners since brand new? My dad purchased our notch brand new. I did restored the car in 97 when he passed away. I grew up and learned to drive on that car. Now,my daughter is driving it,she is so proud. It's 3 generations in the family. Planning to keep it for about next 50 years.
RickW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

I bought my 69 FB from the second owner in September of 1987. Just finishing up the engine rebuild and about to start on the transmission.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

Well, it's not 1-owner in the strictest sense, but my dad gave me his '71 so it's been in the family since new. I rode home in it in November 1970, so that's a little over 48 years.
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Well, it's not 1-owner in the strictest sense, but my dad gave me his '71 so it's been in the family since new. I rode home in it in November 1970, so that's a little over 48 years.

I say that counts, and is so awesome!

I've owned my notch since 05 not very long, but the longest I owned any car. I tend to get bored and keep buying other cars. I'ts not my nicest or most valuable car, but I don't think I'd ever sell it. All others would go first.

-Lucas
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

I’ve owned my notchback for 21 years. And like most people I will sell a lot of things before I sell that car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

My dad gave me my Squareback around '88 to start working on, and I still have it to this day. He was the second owner and I think bought it in the early '80s.
2018 VW Atlas SE VR6 4Motion
2019 VW Beetle S Final Edition Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

I've met 2 guys that bought their cars brand new, and still have them. One is a 69 Squareback, and the other is a 71 Fastback. My self, the longest I've owned a type 3 has been since 1989, when I bought Sue's 70 Fastback on July 4th weekend. It wasn't my first one though, as the was a 66 Square I bought used from a VW dealer in September 1986.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Roadbeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

Bought mine in Jan of 88, not sure how many owners it had before me.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

Fall of 1987 found my squareback in a wrecking yard in North Carolina.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

My 65 Notch I bought off E-bay in September 1999, and have had it ever since. It's a 3 season car though, to keep it out of the salt.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

54 years this year
My 1965 panelvan my dad bought new.
He crashed it in 1976.
We rebuilt it and i learned to drive in it in 1979.
I drove it as my daily until 1990 when the family came along.
It got put in storage until 2015 ( when it was restored ).
And im still driving it today.
Now its me driving my dad places. in 1965 it was him driving me places.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

I thought I might get the trophy, but you have me beat by 6 years! Congrats!
...unless someone comes along we haven't heard from yet!
Got photos, old and new?
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

I dont have any early photos, i would have to get my dad to search.

this is 1979
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is 2015 after 25 years in the shed

and here it is today

TheGrafs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

Owned my squareback since I was 15, a sophomore in high school. It will be seven years this may, and although Ive had a few watercooleds in between, The square will be with me for as long as I live!
1970 Squareback

Youtube: GrafsGarage3
Instagram: GrafsGarage
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

I have owned my '63 Notch since October 1971 -- the same month I turned 21. That's 47½ years.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Longest time with type 3 Reply with quote

I bought my 73 Square in 85 , it was sitting in the used car lot at a small Ford dealership where I worked then . I was looking for something that got better MPG than my 69 Ford E300 econoline van. It was slow at work and I never looked at the used cars and I decided to wander out there. I sat in it then opened the tail gate and lifted the mate to see what the engine looked like , never saw a fuel injected model before I had a 66 bug and 68 Ghia. It was $650 so I bought it thinking all I'll do is fix the bashed in rear bumper and replace the rear apron then got carried away and took everything apart and repainted it myself. I was all original . Been my only car since I sold the van in 91. I worked on it during slow times an a stall at work and it took a year to get it done. Now it's still running after rebuilding an engine and auto trans from a 72 auto trans I got from U hall across the street which got me a good rear bumper and all sorts or spare parts. It's now a bit worse for wear yet good enough.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: