Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

I think we're getting a little off topic in Luis's thread...you can comment in my Ghia thread if you like: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=245866 Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

My oct 56 is going back to its original Pelican red/Toucan black, so I just removed the steering wheel and did a temporary install with "Black Tack". Very happy, will need a few minor tweaks here and there but its so much better. Thank you, Luis it's a great product.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The aussie Trimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
My oct 56 is going back to its original Pelican red/Toucan black, so I just removed the steering wheel and did a temporary install with "Black Tack". Very happy, will need a few minor tweaks here and there but its so much better. Thank you, Luis it's a great product.

Not that it matters; but didn't 56 to 57 have carpet and rubber combination, 57 to 59 had full rubber floor coverings, personal choice I guess. Bloody nice floor coverings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

The aussie Trimmer wrote:
otahuhu wrote:

Not that it matters; but didn't 56 to 57 have carpet and rubber combination, 57 to 59 had full rubber floor coverings, personal choice I guess. Bloody nice floor coverings.

HI Kevin, you are right, the really early cars 55 and early 56s up till body number 3760 had the carpet and rubber, this car is body number 9804 it's an oct 56 built car.

55 and early 56 that you mentioned...

Post body number 3760 56-57 grey/black rubber interior

I have some good clear pics from some very original 55 and 56 interiors to send to you along with the material samples.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Kev's always right....there's not much Kev doesn't know about KG interior!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

So as a rule of thumb if you have forward heat vents then you had the carpet and mat combo, when they moved the vents back they went with the full mats.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
So as a rule of thumb if you have forward heat vents then you had the carpet and mat combo, when they moved the vents back they went with the full mats.

pbaptist wrote:
1154228 (may ’56) (body 3761) All-rubber firewall cladding introduced (was carpet+rubber): Available in three distinct colors: grey, green, and beige.

...from: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2246031#2246031
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

It's also listed here in the 57 and 58 parts manuals Arrow

boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Luis, have to thought of adding the sound deadener that goes under the trunk liner into your insulation kit?
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

I was also thinking of a fire-retardant firewall for the engine area.
rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Tall Bloke wrote:
I was also thinking of a fire-retardant firewall for the engine area.

IDK about "fire-retardant", but I have one NOS that I can provide a template from for Luis. Someone else will have to come up with NOS rear fender pocket insulation examples...

Note that Luis and I have already talked about this, so thanks for your additional suggestion that this is indeed a good idea.

Karmann Ghia and Porsche 356 enthusiast
Founder, The Karmann Ghia Club of N. America
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Fender pocket insulation? Do you mean those stuffed, pillow/cushion-like things you put above the rear fenders as sound absorbers (and as a fume barrier as well I guess). Looks like a banana. There should be a small "square" one as well
on each side.
In that case I have those that looks new.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

I may have one of each that could be offered up as a pattern.
rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Burman wrote:
Fender pocket insulation? Do you mean those stuffed, pillow/cushion-like things[...]

No, those things are easily made by many people's grandmother!

I'm referring to the closing panels for the engine bay, right and left, that make closed cavities (when installed) of the rear wings just ahead of the tail lamps and to the rear of the rear inner fender housings. These are comprised of four pieces, two per side, one of which is of a similar material to the door panel backing boards and the others are, depending on year, much more like either the insulation above the transaxle or more like the underlayments to the floor mats.

Reasonable / accurate reproductions of these have been needed for time immemorial for our Ghias!

lajs57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

2019 NEWS

Hello All,

I arrived from Mexico 2 days ago, the driveway was packed with snow, cleaning it did not help the bad cold I had, I feel better now. But today it snowed again Mad !

Well, my vacation was different from what I expected. My Dad passed out the morning of December 31st. It has been very hard for me and my family. We are grateful that he did not suffer, when he waked up that morning, he felt tired and went back to sleep and peacefully he went to heaven to join my mother. I feel lucky to be there with him his last few days, and spend quality time together.

I need to restructure my life, I need to recover a financial stability, I hope that the Karmann Ghia products i'm making are part of my recovery, but if I don't see results I may have to look for some thing else.

First, I have to finish all the Low Light Werks orders pending. Don't worry, everyone will get their mats.

The under-mat Sound Absorber sets are cut and ready to be picked up. I hope I can do that this week or at the beginning of next week. Then I need to glue the two layers and pack and ship them.

As you all know, last month I started the project and the store for the later years KG floor mats. I plan to have the molds ready in the next couple of weeks, I'm still waiting for orders from people that committed to participate and had not place their orders. I will make another post in that forum shortly.

I also announced that the RHD bulkhead mat is available NOW. As it uses a different mold, I can manufacture those simultaneously as the LHD sets. I want to be clear that the RHD floor mats are not available, as it looks that nobody has a set that can serve as a model to make the molds. If you have a RHD Low Light, this may be the only chance to get the bulkhead mat.

Also, I am happy that more Founder Members that received their sets, installed them and shared very nice comments and pictures in the forum. I know that some owners had been waiting to place their orders until they were sure it was a nice product. This may be the last production run, so please consider placing your orders now.

I will wait until the end of January to see the response in orders placed. I will then place the final order for the materials needed to cover those orders, and more than likely, that will be the end of the Karmann Ghia Low Light mats reproduction project. I will plan to make all orders before April 1st.

Regarding the side clips and grommets sets, as I only received 3 orders, I will refund the customer that placed those orders, unless I get at least 25 orders before the end of the month. The way I will follow the demand, is that the inventory is at zero and orders will show as back ordered.

Same thing for the under-mat Sound Absorber sets, unless I get at least 15 more orders (minimum that water jet shop will take), they will show as back ordered.

If there are enough orders to make this a profitable business, I will reconsider and continue making Karmann Ghia products. I hope with all my heart that this will be the case, but I need to be sure it works for me. My son just started college and I have bills to pay, in 2018 I ended using my retirement savings instead of making money.

Before I left to Mexico, I sent everyone that placed an order, a KARMANN Key Fob, as a small present for been with me in this project. Unfortunately, USPS returned some of them requesting additional postage, I will resend them tomorrow.

I sincerely wish that 2019 will be a good year for all of us!

Luis
rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Thank you, Luis, for your hard work.

I am deeply moved by your posting and wish you all the best. I also understand your need to survive financially and have been amazed throughout this experience how you have continued to maintain supplying us even though it was / has been not financially viable.

Some of us have been aware from your comments that this has not been financially successful and surmise that you've been going well above and beyond what any sensible person would do and even at deep personal expense you're trying your very best to deliver on an unprofitable product, simply because you gave your word. ... SOME OF US get it that you were asking us to buy underlayment sets as a way to at least break even!

We, the intelligent among us, realize that there was a dynamic choice involved and that you crossed the proverbial rubicon: you could price mat sets realistically and maybe not enough people sign up, or price them realistically and it never happens. YOU chose to take the former choice at your own risk, and you priced it too low; We, the few, are getting our mats, but at YOUR personal expense. I HOPE ALL YOUR CUSTOMERS UNDERSTAND THIS.

Every one of your customers who can possibly do so should immediately buy a set of underlayments as a means of helping make this financially viable - and for covering the true costs we have asked you to bear.

With deepest respect,
Richard

Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Well spoken Richard!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

Luis, I am very sorry to hear of your father's passing, my sincere condolences to you and your family.

This might sound self-aggrandising but I try to support all who put their money and time into our hobby.

Knowing several people who have embarked on projects that seem like folly but have been carried through to completion, (and in some cases lost money)I think all committed hobbyists should do their bit to spread the word in any way they can. That doesn't mean buying something you don't need but we all know others in the hobby who could be interested so, as I say spread the word.

It is vitally important that people like Luis make a profit. Not because Luis making a profit was the sole objective, it wasn't but if he makes a loss, Luis's, skills, dedication and honesty will be lost to the hobby. Short runs to serve a limited market such as the Lowlight Ghias are high risk but the floor mats and under-mats for the entire range of Karmann Ghias are where Luis can recoup losses made elsewhere. That's not to say you will be underwriting losses made on "Lowlight Mats"...they are still very affordable. We are all in this together.

If you want these mats made...IT'S TIME TO STEP UP AND COMMIT.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

That all is tough to read on a couple different fronts, Luis.

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your father. My condolences to you and your family. I hope it's of some comfort that you did get to spend those final days with your dad. Life has many seasons, and the one where we children have to care for our aging parents is a tough one. Hang in there.

It's also disappointing to read the production of the mats has been such a financial challenge. I'll continue to spread the word to other Karmann Ghia owners I come across. I hope things turn around quickly for you.

Last edited by PeteSC on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS... THE SOLUTION! Reply with quote

My condolences Luis, I wish you the best, and good vibes during this difficult time. I couldn’t be happier with my mats, and the key fob is very cool. Here are a couple of pictures with my mats all glued in and set. Notice that I had Luis keep the heat vents closed since my heater boxes have been taken out. Thanks again Luis!! Muchas Gracias!!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 40 of 51

Jump to: