Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Salvage title value
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rabbit_7702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Salvage title value Reply with quote

Does anybody know how low the value of a karmann ghia goes if it has a salvage title?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Salvage title value Reply with quote

It might not affect it at all, it depends on the year and condition.

For me, it affects the value quite a bit because I know insurance won't pay out nearly as much on a salvaged title vehicle.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Salvage title value Reply with quote

I recently bought a '72 bug with a salvage title.
Don't know why it was titled this way but for the quality of the paint and work done to it was better than ones going for thousands of dollars more.

As far as insurance normal insurance won't pay out much anyway because of age and title.

I was told I can buy classic car insurance for more of a payout.

The PO had State Farm classic car insurance and covered it for 15K.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Salvage title value Reply with quote

grandpa red wrote:
Don't know why it was titled this way but for the quality of the paint and work done to it was better than ones going for thousands of dollars more.

As far as insurance normal insurance won't pay out much anyway because of age and title.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that an agreed value collector policy doesn't care if it has a salvage title because they will pay the face value of the policy if other conditions are met.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Salvage title value Reply with quote

I thought about it a while back and decided that every 50+ year old car is "effectively totaled" by time. So it just doesn't really matter.

It's a liability thing, absolving the car maker and the insurance company from being responsible for it.
Now it's on YOU to make sure the car is built, maintained and repaired correctly. WEll OF COURSE! That's how it is anyway, so it should make no difference.

I got a call today about "your car's extended warranty is about to expire"
really? Laughing
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Salvage title value Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
grandpa red wrote:

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that an agreed value collector policy doesn't care if it has a salvage title because they will pay the face value of the policy if other conditions are met.

Yes, agreed upon value pays what you are insured for if it is a total loss...regardless of salvage title or not. But, you cannot change what others think when you are trying to sell vehicle. Salvage title is (usually) the kiss of death when you are trying to sell. This is almost always the case unless you are asking $2-$4000 on a $10,000 vehicle. In this world of vehicles and unless you have a really thick hide....just stay away from any salvage vehicle titles
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Salvage title value Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a strange concept: think of all the VWs that have been crushed in the front or rear (or both), and they WEREN'T totalled/salvaged, yet those specimens are apparently worth substantially more because they don't have the stigma. I have one of those examples myself, sandwiched in a rear-end crash, so it got it from both ends (all straight now, but the inner scars remain).

On the other hand, I plucked an identical copy of that car (BB '65 Beetle), with a salvage title, and it's 10 or many more times cleaner than the one without a salvage. And I'm talking about zero (ZERO, NADA) rust, anywhere, garaged most it's life, original date-stamped wheels still in blue-white, OEM German bumpers, all German body parts, mostly original BB paint, original manuals and documentation from Mill Valley Volkswagen (now defunct dealership), and complete, unmolested. Totalled at some early point merely because of a front-end collision...you can see the wrinkles in the spare tire well. But damn somebody did a hell of a fix-it. Way tighter body gaps and symmetry than many cars I see around, way way straighter...all for $3K...because of that "death kiss." I'll take that all day. Hell, serve me up a split Bus with a salvage ticket, I'll take that for chump change over all the baskets being offered up for thousands nowadays. Oh, wait, doubt there're many around, and besides, those probably aren't subject to the normal market forces.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Salvage title value Reply with quote

Insurance companies....I think they shake a magic 8-ball to determine rates and also payouts.

I THOUGHT a salvage title meant that the vehicle was damaged beyond repair..... NO

It means the insurance company didn't want the LIABILITY of repairing it.
Even if repairing it would be cheaper, they give you the full amount!
Dented fender and bumper?......TOTALED

So the sketchier and rarer your car is...... the more money you get!
It's a perfectly logical system, Shocked Wait..... no it's insane! but that's how it is.
It can be quite profitable to drive a sketchy rare car, and if it is salvage title or not does not make any difference.......as far as I know.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Salvage title value Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I THOUGHT a salvage title meant that the vehicle was damaged beyond repair..... NO

It means the insurance company didn't want the LIABILITY of repairing it.
Even if repairing it would be cheaper, they give you the full amount!
Dented fender and bumper?......TOTALED

Yep, I owned a GTI that was stolen and recovered.
Salvaged title because the owner had gotten a full payout on it.
It was never wrecked at all, it was actually nicer than most other cars around at the time.

My Mazda I wrecked was totaled, although I'm sure it was fixable with enough money. It was only worth $3000 so... totaled out. Probably worth more in parts anyway since the engine/trans and 1/2 the car I didn't smash up were still nice.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Salvage title value Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:

On the other hand, I plucked an identical copy of that car (BB '65 Beetle), with a salvage title, and it's 10 or many more times cleaner than the one without a salvage. And I'm talking about zero (ZERO, NADA) rust, anywhere, garaged

I know what you mean about cleaner.
After looking at other bugs and one Squareback I decided on the 72' bug I got with a salvage title.
The other one's were priced 3,000-10,000 dollars more.They all had original cracked rubber,fadad plastic, worn suspensions,Etc-.

Mine had newer paint, brand new wheels/tires,new rubber all around,German glass, new interior.The doors close perfectly.

The only damage I see was the front clip was pushed in a little so the bottom of the hood does not match perfectly.That might explain the title.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: