Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Failing Bosch Points
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PumaVW79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
The wear block is the brown bakelite? material like the German NOS ones.

Most likely not. Bakelite is a generic term for resins based on reactions of phenol with formaldehyde.

Because of the high risks for health (including cancer) associated with both components, the original formula has been changed a lot over the years. And also their properties.

I dunno, if today's bakelite properties are better or worse -- probably better -- but in terms of aesthetics old bakelite is much more pleasant.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

PumaVW79 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
The wear block is the brown bakelite? material like the German NOS ones.

Most likely not. Bakelite is a generic term for resins based on reactions of phenol with formaldehyde.

Because of the high risks for health (including cancer) associated with both components, the original formula has been changed a lot over the years. And also their properties.

I dunno, if today's bakelite properties are better or worse -- probably better -- but in terms of aesthetics old bakelite is much more pleasant.

I'm sure you're right about the formula changing in the last 50 years. But you're 100% correct that they just look correct vs. the cheap white plastic wear blocks on points. Not to mention how correct the dark brown Bosch distributor caps look on the correct year distributor/VW.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:

Im not gonna hi jack this thread anymore if you want to discuss go here please

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Sounds good, thanks!
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

When buying tune up parts it sometimes says ”Bosch” disguised as a referense for the style or fitment but the part is not Bosch at all. I got tired not knowing what I would get when ordering new tune up parts, some worse than others, so I started collecting NOS parts a few years back instead. I don’t think you can go wrong with German Bosch points and you can still find plenty of them. It might change when they are gone, but why bother with new junk?

NOS German Bosch points. What I really like is the reinforced phenolic rubbing block.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is Bosch compared to old Bremi points. Notice the crack in the rubbing block above rhe rivet? Almost all old Bremi points I’ve seen has this crack. I almost beginning to think it’s suposed to be there? But I wouln’t feel safe using them. Maybe the new plastic is better?

NOS Bosch to the right. Notice the grid pantern in the rubbing block (phenolic) to plain brown ”plastic” in the others. The others are used points I’ve changed out, so I don’t know the manufactured of them. But the ones to the left have the same rubbing block as Bremi and the same crack, but huge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

Just bought these at NAPA, Echlin CS313, already installed or I would have taken a better pic.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

Yep, those are the ones I run to trigger my TFI. (Napa)

I was noticing on the picture before that showed the old stock bosch on the right, and the cracks on the middle and left points, that the pivot shaft on the Bosch ones looks wider than the other two. It seems this reduction difference in shaft diameter is what is making them fail prematurely. Just the other day I saw yet ANOTHER set of newer Bosch points with the same issue on someone's car.

Fun fact, Autozone used to sell Bosch style points with a c clip on top of the shaft. Problem solved! Now I see they have the Echilin style points. Anyone care to comment on the design of the Echilin points with respect to the Bosch points? I find them to be excellent.

Happy new year all!

-Frank
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

I took out a Bosch that had a little bit of pitting and put in the Echlin. I can say that the diameter of the pivot bushing is definitely larger on the Echlins. The end with the points doesn't look as beefy as the Bosch but there is a stiffening lip as you can see so I think they will be fine.

I also found a gray remote TFI with heat sink in my wiring stash. On a F150/Cummins conversion project I cut out the whole wiring harness out of a junkyard F150 including relay/fuse box and pretty much everything else I think I paid like $20 for the whole thing. I have used that many many times for connectors, sections of wire, relays, etc etc.

I am going to eventually install the TFI on my 1679, I've got the original connector plus about 2 feet of wires from it. Then run a hotter coil too.

On the '90 F150 that I put the Cummins in it had a 5.0 pig with the dizzy mounted TFI and it failed so stay away from the dizzy TFI's. Even if they are ok they have lead a hotter life than the remotes.

Happy New Year
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

Exactly rodeking, remote TFI is the way to go. Modok was the one that peaked my interest in the TFI conversion and ever since I did it, pertronix possibilities haven't even crossed my mind.

Funny you should mention about using a hotter coil. I have a CB magnaspark coil on my car, plugs gapped 0.030 ". I was thinking of opening up the gap to 0.035 or 0.040 seeing that stock TFI was anywhere from 0.045 to 0.052 or something like that. I have not done it because I have some concern for the limitations of the spark plug wires. I currently run beck arnley copper cores from rockauto, with a copper core center lead to coil as well. (Made it myself, the kit comes with a suppressor center coil to cap wire.) Today I ordered a set of smp glossy silicone jacketed wires because I have installed multiple sets on cars and have been VERY impressed with the quality of everything from connectors to sleeves.

I'm sure a stock TFI coil would be bulletproof on our applications but what about the wires and cap? Not trying to reinvent the wheel but I do like tinkering and all those factors got me thinking.

Thoughts?

-Frank
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

I don’t think the pivot shaft wear out but rather the material in the plastic bushing that might wear. It would be interesting to see pictures of the failing points.

However the contact breaker lever is not hold down in any other way than with the spring (and snug fit shaft/bushing) in the later 1 piece points. If you release the spring you can pull the lever off the shaft. I would suspect you might have another isue with the distributor that's pushing the lever up or that the rubbing block isn’t hitting the cam evenly (you mentioned that you had to tweak them to line up the points).
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

Frederik wrote:
It would be interesting to see pictures of the failing points.

Maybe they don't make them like they used to but I have not seen a set of failed points.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

Frederick you made a good point. It is true, I originally thought that too but when I started seeing this repeatedly on other cars I started wondering. Why would it happen on 009's?

-Frank
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

in my 57 years of life I have found from my observations points are likked by the condensor, by the installer not greezzeing the lobe, installer not cleaning the lobes befor adding the new greessee,or a effed up lobe serface from rust or been run dry to long. and yes I have see contacts fall off a set of points...in the box.... I learned back in the early 90
s condensors were now shit.and the only ones that were not shit were the mallory condensors. occasionaly when the seasom was early and the work load was backed up for all the other guys I did some tune ups on some of the boats to get the people in the water. ( normaly I just did pussy boats...40'+ with 2 or 3 600 hp or more per engine & I ran the compleate HP machine shop) for the boats I put mallory condensors on all of them that required points...Ive chased my ass more than one time due to shit condensors...on my small boat
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

The TFI coil is quite powerful, and will work, but IMO a little overkill, it can charge fast enough to run 8000rpm, I prefer a 1.5-2 ohm coil, so the module runs cooler.

Keep the gaps at about .035 IMO.
Open the gap too far it may start to crossfire in the the small distributor cap and rotor.

I am still using the same used set of points I had in 2013, with the tfi.
GOING for the record, I'm probably not there yet tho Laughing
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

Just for reference, beru from germany compared to turkish

Sorry this second picture has reference inverted Rolling Eyes

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

fairly old vs new. You people saying I should probably keep the old ones because of current quality?

mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

Hope to go not too far off-topic.

wcfvw69 wrote:
I've sourced brand new Bosch 01011 points. They are made in Mexico by Bosch. I've been super impressed with the quality of them. Faces line up perfectly. The wear block is the brown bakelite? material like the German NOS ones.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1772596.jpg
In the past the wear block seems to be made out of Resitex. Polyimide or thermoplastic were also available, but not used for VW applications.
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

perello wrote:
Just for reference, beru from germany compared to turkish

Do they have the same part # ?
Just curious, because the wear block looks different, with the Turkish one having a abrasion resistant block (indicated by the P in KS700P).
The other could be just KS700 without the P, but in your picture, the part # is not visible.
https://www.beruparts.co.uk/parts/ignition/contact-sets.html
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

”Resitex” is the fibre reinforced phenolic material in the good old points. It was also the material used for example in the weight sliding plate. Phenolic almost being synonymous to ”bakelite”.

”Bakelite” is perhaps the most famous phenolic plastic and ”duroplast” (read about trabant cars) another reinforced phenolic plastic. I think it’s normal that when a patented material gets popular the brand name almost gets synonymous for all materials alike. It’s like using ”teflon” for all PTFE materials.
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

mr. lang wrote:

Thanks for that reference! It is at least is correct for the old Bosch points

Here are 3 simular German Bosch points (they fit the same in the distributor and have the same wire length) 1st picture from the left/ 2nd from bottom: 1237013.. 116, 044, 081 (or 01042, 01026, 01011)

The 116 is watercooled points (se application below) but they fit the exact same as the 044 points. The spring is 0.4mm (same as 044) and the rubbing block is 2.5mm (same as 081) but is made of polyimide (black color). The 081 is for Porsche 911/912 (without vacuum) and has a 2.5mm phenolic/ ”resitex” rubbing block (as to the 044 2mm phenolic/ ”resitex” block) and a 0.5mm spring for higher RPM. I’m a bit sorry for that I don’t have any 130 points in the comparison, they should also be the same fit and have polyimide block, however I’ve heard they might have a stronger spring but I don’t know? The 116 was later replaced by the 130.

I tried to Google translate what the heck ”hochsteigsicherung” ment in the reference list and got back: ”high security sidewalk”. Opened up a set of NOS 062 points and found out what it was. It’s accually that the pivot pin is locked with a shim under it. Almost what the OP was after. This is however left hand points (simular to the 061 points for Porsche 912 with vacuum). I also wonder how the ”nickelkontakte” differs from regular points?

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Failing Bosch Points Reply with quote

I'm officially done installing non NOS German made Bosch points. Their entry level 01011 points made in Mexico faces line up nicely. However, I discovered on another set in a customers distributor that the point arm that moves open/closed is on a rubber bushing. It was very sloppy on this set of not very old points. I caught it on my Sun distributor machine.

I'd also bought Bosch's highest quality 01011 points. The points faces are WAY off from aligning correctly. I had to take them apart to bend things so the faces lined up correctly.

I'm using another brand now that are much better quality.

Also, since this thread mentioned a few different brands of points over the years, I'll add some pictures of a few of these points sets for the record.

The first set is a Blue Streak set of premium points. They are almost new. The have the hole in the middle of the base face.

This is a Sorenson "cross-cut" set of points with a + cut across the faces. The cuts are to provide ventilation for the points faces. I think Wildthings suggested it was to help the points to not develop a pit or nipple on the face.

I've started to take a closer look at the used points that I've taken out of core distributors while I'm restoring them. It's kind of interesting to go back in time and find these long NLA sets and brands of points mounted on distributors that haven't been used for decades.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: