Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Constant power source?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Constant power source? Reply with quote

Am I correct that P 1-7 on this diagram are constant 12v? If not, suggestions for another good place to access said? I’m wiring in a digital oil pressure gauge and making sure.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Constant power source? Reply with quote

Don't use the P spots to directly power things that should be turned off when the vehicle is parked.

For gauges you can get power from the back of the rear window defroster switch and that will put it on a fuse and turn it off when the key is off.

Mark
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Constant power source? Reply with quote

Why do you want constant +12v on a gauge?
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Constant power source? Reply with quote

On the glowshift oil pressure gauge that vanagain.com sells, there are 4 wires coming off the power harness that are supposed to be hooked up as follows:

- ground, just going to go to the cluster.
- 12 volt switched was going to piggyback on to G2 or G5. The directions say to hook up the “to the fuse panel or an accessory wire”
- headlight power- it auto dims the gauge when you turn the lights on - was going to join up with G7. Maybe the headlight switch would be better?
- and 12 volt constant. The directions say to hook up at “the fuse panel or directly to the battery. If hooking directly to battery, add a 3 amp fuse within 6-8 inches of the battery.”

They’re generic glowshift directions, nothing extra supplied by vendor.

My wiring fu is weak. I’d love some feedback. I’ll be trying to hook it up Monday work for los federales so it’s a holiday for me.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Constant power source? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

For gauges you can get power from the back of the rear window defroster switch and that will put it on a fuse and turn it off when the key is off.

Is there a non-halfassed way to do this, ie w/o vampire taps or any of that? How hard is it to get the necessary terminal out and crimp in a new wire to do this? This is what I hope to do tomorrow. I have removed a lot of those sh*tty taps and am hoping not to add one for the gauges. I have power to the lights, thanks to that wire-weld bundle that is now ziptied and heat-shrunk.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Constant power source? Reply with quote

Google "piggyback tap"...add to any standard 1/4" spade terminal.

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Constant power source? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Google "piggyback tap"...add to any standard 1/4" spade terminal.

All I get are dinguses that replace a fuse with pigtail…I think I know what you mean by the description but they must have another name. "piggyback terminal" gets what I think you mean…now to see if FLAPS has such a thing.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Constant power source? Reply with quote

Search for "piggyback spade terminal"
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Constant power source? Reply with quote

Indeed. Anyway, you're on it... <oops>

Embarassed Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: