Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gear shift
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Gear shift Reply with quote

Hi
Looking for quick gear shift for a RHD 1954 oval with a 30hp engine & original gearbox. Can anyone recommend what would be best & forward a picture if possible.

Thanks for your help
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gear shift Reply with quote

Gene berg shifter will do the trick.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear shift Reply with quote

I agree that the GeneBerg unit is an excellent product; I've had one in my hand for at least 20 years in my hobby-driving Ghia. But it might be a visual overkill for an otherwise stock oval, with its T-handle, tall metal base and pleated rubber boot. You can achieve the short-throw effect with a good "short shift kit" which uses your stock original shifter. Make sure you spend a few $ more to get the premium aluminum kit, not the hard plastic one. If you paint up the aluminum base base in semi-gloss black, it will not be visually prominent in your interior. http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Quick-Shift-Kit-Standard-Transmissions-p/quick-shift-kit.htm

A high-performance shifter which would not look out of place in your car could be this one- http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-Classic-12-Shifter-155-795-52200-p/155-795-52200.htm
Has the benefit of being bent rearward so that you don't have to reach so far forward to get to 3rd gear. The pull-up ring under the shift knob is so that you don't need to push the shifter down when going into reverse.

Both of these shifters, and any aftermarket one, depends on the shift rod bushing in the tunnel just to the rear of the shifter being in good shape. http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Shift-Rod-Bushing-Bee...1-259a.htm
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear shift Reply with quote

Agree on Vintage Speed units, come in black and ivory

Performance with stock appearance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gear shift Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Thank you for feedback. I have just purchased a gene burg shifter
although for a stock gearbox & 30hp engine it does have the added speedwell supercharger along with some body mods so I think it will be well suited thanks again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: