Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My RhD 65.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: My RhD 65. Reply with quote

So i'm restoring my 65 RHD beetle but it has a lot of mixed and matched parts, some of which I dont mind keeping and some I would like to get back original.

My first issue is with the doors. It has 68+ doors fitted and has also been converted to power windows and locks.

I am keeping the doors but would like to get them back to original but i'm not sure exactly what regulator I need as I see there is one for 68-74 and another for 75-77.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: My RhD 65. Reply with quote

You should find a nice pair of original 65-66 doors. They will have all the original parts you need. The lower inside halves of those doors look cut.
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: My RhD 65. Reply with quote

Not really an option. That's why later doors were used in the first place.
Plus a lot of work was done already with respect to striker plate etc, something I don't want to interfere with.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My RhD 65. Reply with quote

Not that it's necessarily a definitive indicator, but the door handle looks to be the early trigger style used 1968-1971.
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My RhD 65. Reply with quote

balljoint wrote:
Plus a lot of work was done already with respect to striker plate etc, something I don't want to interfere with.

I don't understand the not really an option. You are willing to put the effort but not enough effort to set it as it should be?

2 replacement doors, all the guts are taken care of, no more effort there. Then you spend the time on the real horror, the modified striker plate.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My RhD 65. Reply with quote

don1357 wrote:
balljoint wrote:

I don't understand the not really an option. You are willing to put the effort but not enough effort to set it as it should be?

2 replacement doors, all the guts are taken care of, no more effort there. Then you spend the time on the real horror, the modified striker plate.

I understand fully .. . cost and ease..
We all dont need year specific parts to drive and enjoy an old VW.

To use 67 and late model 68 and newer doors on a 65-66 body.... some pain staking efforts were made to graft in the late model B pillar striker pin, hopefully correctly

Unless this is an otherwise unmolested car.. and needs to be correct... which I doubt.. .. roll on..

You have options..

1: The by far easiest solution.. since those doors have been hacked up... find a set of late model donor doors..

B: Use 68-74 style regulators with some work to make work.

3: most expensive... and labor intense decovert the B pillar back for 65/66 slider latches ... and nice 2 year only doors.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: My RhD 65. Reply with quote

I can well understand your intent to restore the '65 and get rid of the power windows. But IMO power windows saves you from leaning over towards the passenger seat and cranking the stock passenger window winder down, thereby most likely taking your eyes off the road. I realize that a Beetle is a narrow car and electric windows are more of a custom gimmick. You could save yourself reaching over to get to the passenger door window switch by installing a 2nd switch wired in parallel somewhere under the dash, or adjacent to the driver's door switch. You could also make the sets of door switches look like they came out of the mid '60's by sourcing a pair of Cadillac or Chrysler OEM or repro chrome switches. Mount those switches so that they are not tilted. https://www.ebay.com/itm/power-window-switch-58-69...3ACadillac

Buy a pair of '65-style door panels that have not been cut for the window cranks or door handles, and carefully cut out the backing material in the location where the switches are. Wrap the vinyl over the cutouts like you see with Tyvek house wrap on house window openings, then fit the switches in.
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My RhD 65. Reply with quote

Guys, I'm from a small island where there is not many beetles at all far less for one I could salvage any decent parts from...even rot free/unmolested late model doors do not exist here.
I am already paying out my a$$ for shipping small items, so like I said its not an option....I have to make do with what I have.

The striker plate conversion was done very good as I can basically close the door with one finger and has even gap all the way around.

I'm thinking 68-74 as well as the majority of beetles here were 67-70.

Rome-I don't mind keeping the power windows if I get them moving smoothly, its been parked up for 6yrs.... but the interior has to look stock.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: My RhD 65. Reply with quote

Quote:
but the interior has to look stock.

How about this: Find a 1967 door panel set, which was the first year of the new "trigger style" door release. That's the kind of release handle on your doors. Relocate the electric window switches off the door, to a visually hidden location such as directly behind the shifter on the top of the tunnel. Then buy a '65 style window handle and escutcheon and screw it firmly in place on the back of the door panels, pointing down. It will be non-functional, and just serve to close the hole in the panel. This way, you still have a stock window handle in place but nobody will know it is not functional since you have the electric switches mounted off the door.

As to the power door locks- hmm- maybe just remove the actuators, go back to the stock manual lock pin (which would be '67 correct)? This way you've removed the switches. Only a few people would notice that you have a '67 door panel on a '65.
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My RhD 65. Reply with quote

Some more research leads me to believe that the door is a very late standard or a super beetle door...but the thing is I now realize it doesn't match the other door which is the earlier unmolested 68-74 door....So I've decided to bite the bullet and ship in a matching one .

Any suggestions to a trusted source here where I can get a right side door?
Or any junk yards in south FL I can check as I would be travelling to the US in a couple weeks.
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My RhD 65. Reply with quote

Reliable source for a 68+ beetle door in Florida anyone??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: