Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crescent vent close up?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptDave1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Crescent vent close up? Reply with quote

I will be replacing death foam area with new metal. Is it a good idea to keep the vents or weld them shut? For those who closed vents off what did you do with the indents? Wondering how closed vents with black painted indents would look...
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Crescent vent close up? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The vents are so the fresh air from the heating system does not pressurize the cabin. If it gets pressurized, the air has no where to go.

Last edited by theKbStockpiler on Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Crescent vent close up? Reply with quote

But they were not in early cars, however you were open from the headliner to the engine compartment and only blocked with those pillows. So if you you don't totally seal that space where the death foam was I don't see any problem. And if it were me, I would get rid of them.

In fact curious when VW actually started using the foam...I assume it was when they did the vents, but I think it may have been earlier....Anyone know?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Crescent vent close up? Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The vents are so the fresh air from the heating system does not pressurize the cabin. If it gets pressurized, the air has no were to go.

Close the outside 1/4 moon openings, but leave the inner ovals for better summer ventilation & winter condensation removal.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Crescent vent close up? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
But they were not in early cars, however you were open from the headliner to the engine compartment and only blocked with those pillows. So if you you don't totally seal that space where the death foam was I don't see any problem. And if it were me, I would get rid of them.

In fact curious when VW actually started using the foam...I assume it was when they did the vents, but I think it may have been earlier....Anyone know?

My ‘67 had the foam, no vents though
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Crescent vent close up? Reply with quote

My '68 still had pillows. Sure your foam wasn't added by a PO?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Crescent vent close up? Reply with quote

My '67 has foam.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: