Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cold weather and oil cooler seal failure.
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Cold weather and oil cooler seal failure. Reply with quote

Well, here it is, I always get customers coming in on the first few really cold days with oil cooler seal failure & this time it happened to me. I fired up the Eurovan this morning & set off on my way to work when I noticed a burning oil smell, & noticed the cloud of blue smoke behind the van. I pulled over & checked under the van & saw that the stream of oil had coated the bottom of the van and the exhaust so I poured in the quart & a half that I keep on hand & bought another 5 quarts to limp the beast back home which was just enough for the 1.5 miles back. (And I just took the family on a four hour road trip over Christmas.)

If you haven't changed your oil cooler seals in the last 3-5 years, go ahead & do it now. $5 in parts & 1/2-1 hour is worth having the piece of mind of not having a failure on the road.

On a positive note, I don't have to worry about under coating it this year.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cold weather and oil cooler seal failure. Reply with quote

Just a bump on this thread.

I think I am experiencing this, though the oil leak seems small, and I am seeing some coolant leaking, but not all the time. I noticed the oil smell though. Only when really cold.

Going to pull the belly pan this weekend and take a look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cold weather and oil cooler seal failure. Reply with quote

Just updating here:

my issue turned out not to be the oil cooler, but two separate issues.

Cold temperature coolant leak coming from thermostat housing, and oil leak at valve cover gasket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Cold weather and oil cooler seal failure. Reply with quote

For the VR6 folks, I recently replaced the seals on the cooler and the two between the block and oil filter bracket. The latter were rock hard and came out in pieces. I would plan on replacing those the next time you're in there.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
d_walküre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold weather and oil cooler seal failure. Reply with quote

I guess it's my turn to do this repair. I went to start up the Eurovan last week to scrape off ice and snow (-10 degrees outside) and oil just comes gurgling and spewing out of the engine... I thought I had cracked the engine block starting it up in these temps! Well, I put in some cheapy oil today to see if I could recreate what happened and sure enough oil come gushing out from between the oil filter bracket and oil cooler.

I'm just glad it wasn't something more serious.

1987 Vanagon GL Syncro SVX NAHT "Valkyrie"
1993 Eurovan Weekender "Camper van Beethoven"
1959 Bug
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold weather and oil cooler seal failure. Reply with quote

Which o-rings are people using as replacements?
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold weather and oil cooler seal failure. Reply with quote

Are these the o-rings in question. Is there a write up?

https://www.eurocampers.com/EuroVan-Automatic-Tran..._2480.html
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold weather and oil cooler seal failure. Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
Are these the o-rings in question. Is there a write up?

https://www.eurocampers.com/EuroVan-Automatic-Tran..._2480.html

using the same website, here is the gasket in discussion.

https://www.eurocampers.com/EuroVan-Engine-Oil-Cooler-Seal-1992--2003--all-models_p_2487.html

Here is a good link on DIY.

Link
d_walküre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold weather and oil cooler seal failure. Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
Which o-rings are people using as replacements?

076-117-069-A Oil Cooler Seal $4.21
038-117-070-A Engine Oil Cooler O-Ring $4.37

Here's what I bought from VW*ortex. I ended up replacing both of these o rings since I didn't want to have to go in there twice, but the oil cooler seal was still in pretty good shape and probably did not need replacing.

1987 Vanagon GL Syncro SVX NAHT "Valkyrie"
1993 Eurovan Weekender "Camper van Beethoven"
1959 Bug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: