Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2387 build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan Tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
Shawn will set you up too.

For reference, here is a Borla (TWM) 62mm throttle body sitting on a manifold ported for 51.5s. Street car stuff.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thats sweet, but why the backwards step to hinder top end pull? Or is that a street tune up and run 62 ported manifolds on the track?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ryan Tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
Jack @ Jaycee Ent built my 51s. You can buy a set direct from him, or CB sells Spanish IDAs (new) that Jack has built ($1700 for carbs only). I prefer the CSP linkage (US supplier is CIP1 imports), CB big beef manifolds. Most port matched manifolds need work, so plan on firing up the TIG and die grinder.

42-44 vents should be right for your engine.

Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

It was just for comparison. I ran the engine on IDAs before switching to injection.

Here it is after porting.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

Popcorn

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

I’m surprised there’s 7 pages wasted on this guy... clearly whoever he has “watching over his shoulder” also doesn’t have a clue.

Interesting read though, he doesn’t have a clue when someone is making fun of him...

The horsepower numbers on your cars are a dead give away that you don’t have a clue.
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

Your kidding right? There were 7 pages spent on a thread about poor pulley alignment and throwing a belt @ 7000+ rpms on an engine with a engle 110...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ryan Tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

Your 62 port job and blend looks great. Thank you

Ive got a call into CB and JayCee working me quotes on a 51.5mm kits

Found something interesting on ebay, 51mm EPC race kits for just under 1k, and a nice filtered set that may be great for the street for less than 1100. Are these EPC carbs same as IDA? Thx

Last edited by Ryan Tucker on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

Ryan Tucker wrote:
Who is running a larger Scat thumper? I have a 2332 going together and have a new C55, C75, and 85, ive decided to start with the C75, it looks good on paper, anyone ran one? Im looking for between 200 and 250 hp n/a. Heads, cam, and compression is every thing in building good power. Have Scats max wedge or whatever they call their race heads 44x38 big ports. And prob will put squeeze around 10.5 to 1 so i can still street drive it on 100 octane. Opinions or thoughts??

Getting closer to 250hp you need something like CB CNC CE 48x40 or better yet MS230 which are the best street head at +230hp league.
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with the EPC carbs. They could be great, but EMPI seems to struggle with getting cylinder tins and fan shrouds to fit, I'm not sure I'd trust them.

The Spanish Webers work very well. Cry once as they say.
Ryan Tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

-Alex77- wrote:
Ryan Tucker wrote:
Who is running a larger Scat thumper? I have a 2332 going together and have a new C55, C75, and 85, ive decided to start with the C75, it looks good on paper, anyone ran one? Im looking for between 200 and 250 hp n/a. Heads, cam, and compression is every thing in building good power. Have Scats max wedge or whatever they call their race heads 44x38 big ports. And prob will put squeeze around 10.5 to 1 so i can still street drive it on 100 octane. Opinions or thoughts??

Getting closer to 250hp you need something like CB CNC CE 48x40 or better yet MS230 which are the best street head at +230hp league.

Thanks, ya im probably short on head but Scat didnt offer that set. Mine have 46x38 40cc written on them. Ive still not put a mic to them though

Last edited by Ryan Tucker on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryan Tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
I don't have any experience with the EPC carbs. They could be great, but EMPI seems to struggle with getting cylinder tins and fan shrouds to fit, I'm not sure I'd trust them.

The Spanish Webers work very well. Cry once as they say.

I hear ya on that, just ordered a set of 51.5 IDA, we will see
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

51 EPCs, Big beef manifolds, Ultraqedgeport heads, Pauter rockets, CB aluminum pushrods, Scat pushrod tubes.

CB 3.5mm deck case, CB crank and rods, Web cam, CE cam gears, Thorstem Pieper lifters, AA forged pistons. Berg 4qrt sump

Haulin the mail

I do use 2 other Scat parts, valvecovers. But I always buy the best parts my wallet will allow, no such thing as one stop shopping in the performance VW world.....unless you go to Pauter.

brad
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

ekacpuc wrote:
I’m surprised there’s 7 pages wasted on this guy... clearly whoever he has “watching over his shoulder” also doesn’t have a clue.
Interesting read though, he doesn’t have a clue when someone is making fun of him... The horsepower numbers on your cars are a dead give away that you don’t have a clue.

Roger that, troll or dreamer - can't quite figure it out.
He deleted 2 posts in this thread, after trolling for info on a very lame streetable 1600 combo, something "reliable for the kid" & using a Scat C55 with center mount 48/51 IDA:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8965763&highlight=#8965763

Copied & saved in Notepad:
Ryan Tucker wrote:
a single center mount 48 or 51 IDA carb and manifold for the 1600 ........ a mild cam, wondering if i could run my smallest C55 cam with stock 1.1 rockers to save a few bucks? Suggestions?

The bottom end was well-worn (60k on it) & he planned to run it as-is because "the bearings look good", but also claimed that any money spent on it was not a concern.
For a good chuckle, check the profile page - Occupation: Mecanic
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=464968
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
Ryan Tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
51 EPCs, Big beef manifolds, Ultraqedgeport heads, Pauter rockets, CB aluminum pushrods, Scat pushrod tubes.

CB 3.5mm deck case, CB crank and rods, Web cam, CE cam gears, Thorstem Pieper lifters, AA forged pistons. Berg 4qrt sump

Haulin the mail

I do use 2 other Scat parts, valvecovers. But I always buy the best parts my wallet will allow, no such thing as one stop shopping in the performance VW world.....unless you go to Pauter.

brad

Brad, thats great advise and now 6 months into the VW project i see that your correct. Big Scat move was only because their ties with Damon and getting a better price on parts. To be honest all the short block stuff i have looks good, just wished id got heads from CB i like the larger 48x38 valves but the intake ports aldo look much bigger and shaped better, no proof because ive not had either on a flow bench like im used to always doing on a race engine build. Scst has been a bugger bear to deal with, to say the Least.

Brad, you engine and car looks great, very cool to see a aircooled built for the salt! Do you have break down mile numbers yet through 5 mile?

Thanks fir the pictures too. Thats what i ordered, 51EPC/ IDA
Carbs and short beefy manifolds, and oddly enough air filters which is a great option for if im taking it to town rather than track days. I have a lot to learn on tuning webers!!! My first rodeo. Whats a close inital tuneup for a 2.4L with 12 to 13:1 squeeze? Think it said they come with conservative tune up and 48 venturi, 120 mains, cant remember the other couple jets sizes. Wished to hell i could post a few pictures of the car
Ryan Tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

FeelthySanchez wrote:
ekacpuc wrote:
Interesting read though, he doesn’t have a clue when someone is making fun of him... The horsepower numbers on your cars are a dead give away that you don’t have a clue.

Roger that, troll or dreamer - can't quite figure it out.
He deleted 2 posts in this thread, after trolling for info on a very lame streetable 1600 combo, something "reliable for the kid" & using a Scat C55 with center mount 48/51 IDA:

Copied & saved in Notepad:
Ryan Tucker wrote:
a single center mount 48 or 51 IDA carb and manifold for the 1600 ........ a mild cam, wondering if i could run my smallest C55 cam with stock 1.1 rockers to save a few bucks? Suggestions?

The bottom end was well-worn (60k on it) & he planned to run it as-is because "the bearings look good", but also claimed that any money spent on it was not a concern.
For a good chuckle, check the profile page - Occupation: Mecanic
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=464968

Whats wrong with you and people like you, are you that bored or hateful, where you from?

What the hell is a troll? Im in my mid 40s and have raced heavy since i was in high school, id damn sure not waste My time on a VW forum unless i had questions about an expensive build im working on and dont have the ...any aircooled building experience. Forums are slowing down mostly due to dickhead comments like yours and facebook.

Im sure your a 15 year old kid in Mommys basement but when i was a kid if you didnt have anything useful or nice to say you kept your mouth shut. Way we were raised. Please dont waste my thread space or time again please
Ryan Tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

Forums can be such a great place to learn if you can weed through the weirdos. I even raced diesels for a few years both in Pro Street class and Top Diesel, set records all across the country from 2006 to 2010. Bad car wreck and 5 neck and back surgeries later im retired from racing but not from building cars. I was only a small engine mechanic through high school, has only cost me money to turn wrenches ever since. My trade has alwsys been HVAC, install and service mostlt large commercial. Point of the diesel stuff was to say i learned Everything about hot rodding the 12 valve Cummins from diesel race forums, i then added my other race knowledge and was the fastest in the country for a while. Look up my name on You Tube for race videos. Ive even competitive shot long range rifle shooting for several years, quess where i learned the inital stuff and such valuable knowledge, yep forums. Thay can really be great for people to teach and learn

I think by spring i will have a built and dynoed great running engine, thats the plan. Bought the car thinking to rebuild the 1600 mild for my 15 year old twins to drive, and a big engine for Daddy. Thought was to run 1 of my big webers in the center of the little engine for just the times its in the car, see now that wasnt a good idea. Heads are junk on it and need rebuilt, surprised it ran so well. Ring seal being good is the reason why, it had 105# pump on each cylinder and around 90% leakdown. Kids dont like the car so its no longer a need to overhaul the torn down stock 1600. Good, that money can go in my engine, lol
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

What is the plan for the rest of the car? Are you building a close ratio transaxle? Are you making any improvements to the chassis, brakes, cage, etc?

What vents come in the EPC kit?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

what are big beef shortys?? Shocked I hope it's not the old bugpoop intakes sometimes called big beef.they are shit...pure shit. or did cb come out with some short big beefs? and why short? longer is better.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

[quote="HotStreetVw"]What is the plan for the rest of the car? Are you building a close ratio transaxle? Are you making any improvements to the chassis, brakes, cage, etc?

What vents come in the EPC kit?[/quote]

48mm vents, way to big. I could barely get enough signal to pull fuel through the jets at b-ville.

Ryan, I only ran the car on the one mile course this year. Next time it will be on the 2.5 mile and then on to the 3 mile. You need to be going faster than 250mph to get on the long course (5+ miles).
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat camshafts? Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
What is the plan for the rest of the car? Are you building a close ratio transaxle? Are you making any improvements to the chassis, brakes, cage, etc?
Plan?
Doesn't know WTH he wants, needs or is doing - just leeches info & then splits to start another directionless/clueless thread similar to "Scat camshafts", & his last one -
Post subject: 1600 single center mount 48mm weber * Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:59 pm *
Ryan Tucker wrote:
Delete

Not even so much as a simple "Thanks" to anybody for their help, either - just continued to spew FUD & dig himself a deeper hole.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 23

Jump to: