Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All about dealer installed a/c in a 61-67 beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
I just picked up one of these 62 - 67 style units! The round vents aren't too great. Is there a source for replacements that anyone knows of?

No repro parts available for the case or vents. They could be molded and cast from black plastic- are yours broken? I have a good set on the 62-67 a/c unit I have in the garage and could mold these.
Otherwise try looking for vents out of a 70's Toyota truck, late vw bus, Mazda miata, 80s jaguar or similar- something you could adapt.

I'm working on molding the vents, repopping the stickers and knobs, and making a blow mold of the case so it can be sold ready to go.
In the mean time you have to use a little ingenuity
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GüteAndTite wrote:
AlanInMass54 wrote:
I just picked up one of these 62 - 67 style units! The round vents aren't too great. Is there a source for replacements that anyone knows of?

No repro parts available for the case or vents. They could be molded and cast from black plastic- are yours broken? I have a good set on the 62-67 a/c unit I have in the garage and could mold these.
Otherwise try looking for vents out of a 70's Toyota truck, late vw bus, Mazda miata, 80s jaguar or similar- something you could adapt.

I'm working on molding the vents, repopping the stickers and knobs, and making a blow mold of the case so it can be sold ready to go.
In the mean time you have to use a little ingenuity

Hello! Mine are both broken, yeah. I thought only one was broken but on closer inspection they both are. The knobs are good, sticker's faded. Center vent is fine, just the round ones are busted. Were they originally a silver/chrome finish? It looks that way in the accessory books. I don't even have the car for this thing…yet! If you make repros count me in for a set please!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its the common system like the red one below, the bay window bus defroster vents look so close is isnt funny.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been tinkering with my new A/C unit. I powered the blower motor and it spins, but screeches like a stabbed cat. I went to remove the fan cage so I could take apart and clean the motor. Has anyone removed that set screw that holds the cage to the motor shaft? I can't budge the damn thing. Is it reverse thread?
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: All about dealer installed a/c in a 61-67 beetle Reply with quote

Wow I somehow missed this! That looks bitchin, if there were an LX Beetle that would be it. Did you ever get around to making the circular vents? I tried Bay Window ones but couldn't make them work.
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: All about dealer installed a/c in a 61-67 beetle Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
Did you ever get around to making the circular vents? I tried Bay Window ones but couldn't make them work.

Have you tried contacting Ed at Gilmore Enterprises, he is making retro units and his vents may work. See below.

http://gilmore-enterprises.net/index.php/product/view/11/23

I’m not old, but I once knew a man who was alive during the Civil War, and he once knew Revolutionary War veterans.
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: All about dealer installed a/c in a 61-67 beetle Reply with quote

Trying to keep it all in one place.....
I see many use the sanden compressors now, so does anyone have pics of one installed in a pre 67 with a 1600DP ?
The previous owner of mine had it done (sanden 505)but the pulley has cut a hole through the deck lid....I need some reference before I go hacking at the bracket that's there now.
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: All about dealer installed a/c in a 61-67 beetle Reply with quote

Installed in a '67 with a bracket made for a Sanden compressor. Bracket was modified to lower compressor.

I’m not old, but I once knew a man who was alive during the Civil War, and he once knew Revolutionary War veterans.
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From all the pics I have seen it seems like there is more room with the later style deck lids (67+)and people get away using an additional belt to run the compressor.
Out of the couple pics I found with earlier style bugs was one is from Gilmore which uses one belt to run the ac/alt/crank and another from earlier in this thread as seen below...

Low Bräu wrote:

I used an old York style compressor bracket and modified it to work with a Sanden 505 rotary compressor. You basically just use the plateform. Those brackets used to be really easy to obtain from late model beetles. Most people just threw them away since you rarely saw a car with working a/c and a York compressor. With the 40 hp motor I had an a/c pulley riding piggy-back on the crank pulley and a second belt. Later with the 1776 I had to get the compressor to sit further back so I ended up changing things around and using one belt. I never had any issues throwing belts or keeping tension. I also recommend that you forget about running R12 or Freeze 12.

Good luck,
josh

So this leads me to believe that its just not possible to do unless running a common belt or placing the compressor top centre of the engine which I cannot do because of my carb.
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: All about dealer installed a/c in a 61-67 beetle Reply with quote

Give Ed Muha call at Gilmore Enterprises. He can supply the compressor mount bracket for either a single or two belt system. He should be able to answer your questions about clearance on older bugs. I like to run two belts because there doesn't look like enough belt wrap contact at the crank or alternator pulleys on the one belt system. I may be wrong, but the one belt system may get some belt slip at high RPM. Ed should be able to address this concern also. Keep us informed on which way you go.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: All about dealer installed a/c in a 61-67 beetle Reply with quote

my 65 uses a two belt system,compressor on left side of engine bay, stock 65 decklid,clears the carb. The distributor drive tang was relocated to allow clearance of the distributor cap access, left heater tube port on fan house was relocated, as was sparkcoil This is a stock 1965 dealer installed unit. Granddad bought it brand new this way.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: All about dealer installed a/c in a 61-67 beetle Reply with quote

To get more clearance between distributor and compressor I use an angled distributor cap. I think it was original equipment on a Fiat. Not easy to find.

balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: All about dealer installed a/c in a 61-67 beetle Reply with quote

So I made up an adjustable bracket which allowed me to move the compressor (Sanden 505)at all possible locations while remaining in alignment with the belt and the only location that was close was down and low over the distributor....with the cap removed Sad .

Even if I used the cap pictured above I don't think it would fit, and as is, its still very close to the lid so it may touch with any engine movement.

So single belt it is!
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: All about dealer installed a/c in a 61-67 beetle Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
my 65 uses a two belt system,compressor on left side of engine bay, stock 65 decklid,clears the carb. The distributor drive tang was relocated to allow clearance of the distributor cap access, left heater tube port on fan house was relocated, as was sparkcoil This is a stock 1965 dealer installed unit. Granddad bought it brand new this way.

More than likely this is with the original style York compressor which uses a smaller diameter pulley where the belt rides allowing more space to clear the lid. There are pics on the page before.
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: All about dealer installed a/c in a 61-67 beetle Reply with quote

balljoint, which groove on the A/C compressor are you aligned to use? You can move the compressor towards the fan housing to use the rear groove to give more clearance with the deck lid.

balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: All about dealer installed a/c in a 61-67 beetle Reply with quote

Yup...I'm using the outer groove
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: All about dealer installed a/c in a 61-67 beetle Reply with quote

I am assembling an A/C set up not using a kit.

Can anyone measure the Condensor sizes used on the early Beetle Air Conditioners?

Here is the parts drawing and a photo......

[/quote]

[/quote]

How close to original size is this unit Joel posted earlier?

Joel wrote:
2 would be too much, unless you staged the fans you would risk over condensing most of the time.

they are 4 row and about 4" thick which is why you only need one.

They market them as being perfectly sized for all their universal evaporator kits.

This is my condenser, its 7/8 thick and 20"x12"

Thanks!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: All about dealer installed a/c in a 61-67 beetle Reply with quote

Brian Anthony wrote:
To get more clearance between distributor and compressor I use an angled distributor cap. I think it was original equipment on a Fiat. Not easy to find.

You can reclock the distributor by relocating the pin that holds the dog drive in place. that is how my ac stuff clears the dizzie.

Bug On, Ice Cold!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: All about dealer installed a/c in a 61-67 beetle Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I am assembling an A/C set up not using a kit.

Can anyone measure the Condensor sizes used on the early Beetle Air Conditioners?

Here is the parts drawing and a photo......

[/quote]

How close to original size is this unit Joel posted earlier?

Joel wrote:
2 would be too much, unless you staged the fans you would risk over condensing most of the time.

they are 4 row and about 4" thick which is why you only need one.

They market them as being perfectly sized for all their universal evaporator kits.

This is my condenser, its 7/8 thick and 20"x12"

Thanks!

Dave[/quote]

I dont have the size handy, but the original style is a tube and fin type heat exchanger. these are less efficient than the type you have shown, so even if yours is a bit small, it maybe fine at doing the job. I highly recommend the louvered debris shield under the heat exchangers.

Bug On!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: