Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VWs preserving history
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

It doesn't need to be dilapidated or abandoned (But my Ghia doesn't look out of place near one. Laughing ). I just try to keep an eye out for interesting old structures. In my area, old buildings & houses are getting torn down to make way for the new, flashy, boring new construction & I have to go out to the rural areas to find older structures, which usually need to be leveled. Unfortunately, since the rural areas weren't as flush with money, this usually means simpler, smaller homes & buildings.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

I took my '73 Super on its first-ever landmark hunting trip in Virginia Beach this morning (and realized that I need to park the car until I fix the exhaust leaks...whoops).

Here's the Cavalier Hotel at the Virginia Beach oceanfront, one of the most iconic structures in this city. It was recently refurbished and saved from demolition, but I still haven't been inside it yet. The hotel is more than ninety years old and even housed soldiers during World War II, I believe. It also had its own railway back in the day, but that has long since been removed.

You can read more about the Cavalier here: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/hotels/2018/08/15/cavalier-hotel-virginia-beach/980993002/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Beetle Bums VW Club Member
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

I have a timeshare in VB but I'm at the south end of the beach. More quiet down at that end. You need to get a pic with the Cape Henry Lighthouse since you're in that area.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I have a timeshare in VB but I'm at the south end of the beach. More quiet down at that end. You need to get a pic with the Cape Henry Lighthouse since you're in that area.

For sure. I'm also going down to Pungo and a few other places with historically important buildings.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
A few months after taking pictures of a neat old covered bridge in Philipi, West Virginia, it was destroyed by arson.

It was brought to my attention that the above bridge and this bridge also in what was Philipi Virginia, now West Virginia were key pieces in the first battle (Or skirmish depending on one’s perspective.) of the civil war.

Here’s the history on the bridge...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippi_Covered_Bridge

And the nearby train station...

Here’s the history of the Philippi battle...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Philippi_(West_Virginia)

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

I got some of them covered bridges in my area too. We don't have problems with vandals. Instead we have problems with idiots driving thru with vehicles that are to tall, or backhoes on trailers that wipe out the roof of the bridge.

Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Nice Beetle. What year is it?
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Beetlebaum wrote:
Nice Beetle. What year is it?

It's my favorite of the 2 I have running.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Today I decided to visit a nearby "castle" that was built by a local artist who abandoned it before it’s completion, Castle Mont Rouge.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Mont_Rouge

On the way back, I was enticed by a historical marker to check out this old plantation home called Stagville, built in 1787.

Perplexed by why this home was of such importance that it should have a dedicated staff & tours, I asked the ladies in attendance “What is the significance of this property?”. They told me that it was the first home of the Cameron family. Okay, whatever. Upon strolling through the museum, I realized it was sooo much more than that, this was one of the largest slave holding plantations in the south with around 30,000 acres & over 900 slaves by 1860.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagville

Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

I always liked those big plantation homes in the south. Not sure how warm they were in the winter though. That was a lot of space to heat with just a fire place.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I always liked those big plantation homes in the south. Not sure how warm they were in the winter though. That was a lot of space to heat with just a fire place.

Yeah, & the Suthnahs didn't know shit about thermal dynamics & thermal mass, otherwise, these homes would have the fireplace & chimneys in the middle of the house, not hanging off the ends.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:

Yeah, & the Suthnahs didn't know shit about thermal dynamics & thermal mass, otherwise, these homes would have the fireplace & chimneys in the middle of the house, not hanging off the ends.

Would it even matter?, after all it seems they had no shortage of "staff" to keep the fires fed.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:

Would it even matter?, after all it seems they had no shortage of "staff" to keep the fires fed.

I dated a girl who lived in an big old farm house. They would use the big fireplace at the end of the house in the living room for heat. Efficiency was terrible plus it would pull the heat from the kitchen, on the opposite end of the house, as it was always cold in that room when the fireplace was cookin'.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:

Southerners know plenty about thermal dynamics and mass. That's why winter isn't the season they were concerned with. Rolling Eyes

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Here’s another little general store/gas station south of Spring Hope.

I bought a bumper from the owner & got some history on it. It was built in 1921 & owned by the property owners father and ran as a Texaco/Sky Chief until 1959.

Interestingly, he mentioned that the station closed down due to a change in law regarding permits, this leads me to believe that this is the reason why so many of these old gas stations/general stores all seem to have simultaneously forgotten in one moment in time.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Here’s another old home that I’ve watched languish for 25+ years, this one is off highway 64 near Siler City NC. The construction equipment nearby suggest that it will make way for highway widening.

And it’s barn.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

These look like they were nice homes at some point. I'm surprised they continue to just stand there and nobody tears them down or buys the property and builds a new home. Just odd to me because I just don't see abandoned homes or buildings like you show in my area.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
These look like they were nice homes at some point. I'm surprised they continue to just stand there and nobody tears them down or buys the property and builds a new home. Just odd to me because I just don't see abandoned homes or buildings like you show in my area.

I agree. My contention is the original family who built the house (parents) died. The estate taxes or property taxes may have been too much for the kids? Or the kids moved away and had no interest in the property.

Either way, you'd think unless the house was a disaster that it would of had some value (along with the property) vs. just being abandoned?

It would be interesting to look up the ownership records or deeds on some of these properties.

I dig this thread BTW.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:

I agree. My contention is the original family who built the house (parents) died. The estate taxes or property taxes may have been too much for the kids? Or the kids moved away and had no interest in the property.

Either way, you'd think unless the house was a disaster that it would of had some value (along with the property) vs. just being abandoned?

It would be interesting to look up the ownership records or deeds on some of these properties.

I dig this thread BTW.

But somebody has to own the property and pay taxes on it, so why leave rot away and continue to pay taxes? Unless the bank owns it but even they would be trying to unload it.

I agree, this is a cool thread. Places I want to get to so I can take pics but it's gonna have to wait until Spring.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

There are literally thousands of old abandoned farm site here where I live. Just a few still have the buildings still standing. The trend over the last 50 years has been away from small family farms and to big corporate ones. That trend is accelerating at an unprecedented pace so the abandonment of houses here continues. These days though the new owners are generally pretty quick to bulldoze and burn the farm yards to reduce liability and increase farmable acreage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 20

Jump to: