Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

100 micron is the norm for a pre filter. If you could make a filter from a walbro work, that would be ok.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

Clone I have that same bender (the first one). Did you have and trouble with it getting kind of flat on the bend? I'm about to bend some 3/8 line for my carb and it seems like I remember the one time I used it (3-4 years ago) it sort of flattened where it wrapped around the Bender. Maybe it was because I'm using the bigger line?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Clone I have that same bender (the first one). Did you have and trouble with it getting kind of flat on the bend? I'm about to bend some 3/8 line for my carb and it seems like I remember the one time I used it (3-4 years ago) it sort of flattened where it wrapped around the Bender. Maybe it was because I'm using the bigger line?

I've only bent 5/16ths and 1/4 inch line with them so 3/8th would probably be a little tougher.
You have to make sure the tubing lies in the trough all the way and doesn't work up as you are bending it. That's why I use a rubber mallet it to help it around the bend.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
Let’s talk about pre pump filters.

I’m debating if a new fresh screen inside the tank pickup would suffice for pre fuel pump filtration. I bought a 3/8 standard carb fuel filter to serve as a pre filter but to use it I have to have 3/8 rubber fuel line at the intake side of my fuel system.

If I do away with it I can have nylon quick release there as well and not have any rubber or hose clamps anywhere in the system.

I used a standard NAPA filter that had inlet and outlet that matched my pump hose size which happens to be 1/2 inch. It's nothing special and had been there since I went FI.

I used a golf pressure side filter for after the pump since it had banjo connections on it and I could convert to my pumps hose size.

Here are some pics. I originally used standard fuel line hose on the gravity side with slip nipples but have since swapped over to cheap Steel and brass AN fittings and some hydraulic style flexible hose.
Not the best pic but you can see the hoses and filter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the original layout with slip nipples...it worked but was a PITA to take apart for winter upgrades.

I don't think the stock inner filter would flow enough especially if the return is pushing back.
That said....My setup has been trouble free with the 1/2 inch feed and the 1/4 inch return going into the tee.
I did use a 1/4 inch NPT tap inside the stock outlet for the brass tee though. It gives a lot more flow than the stock line out of the tank at about 1/4 inch.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

Sometimes a little paranoia is a good thing.

I decided to take the advice above and made and welded a bung onto my fuel tank so my return is separate from my fuel intake. I don’t pretend to be a master tig welder but I can accomplish what needs to be done even if it’s not pretty. My previous 20 year career was as a professional welder but tig welding was never a process I used. Surprisingly I didn’t burn through the tank even once.

The tank is pretty rusty inside. Prior and post welding I throughly steam cleaned and pressure washed the crap out of it. It’s going to soak in white vinegar for a few days then get a treatment of Red Kote to seal everything for the next half a century

1965 Chevy c30, Microsquirt turbo aluminum 5.3/nv4500
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

That should work nicely.does the ecu you are going to run have pwm fuel pump control?if so you could add a pwm controller from a subaru like I did. It works at 33%,66% and 100% pulse width. it does wonders on heatsoaked fuel system.super simple to hook up and price is cheap..
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

gprudenciop wrote:
That should work nicely.does the ecu you are going to run have pwm fuel pump control?if so you could add a pwm controller from a subaru like I did. It works at 33%,66% and 100% pulse width. it does wonders on heatsoaked fuel system.super simple to hook up and price is cheap..

I have some PWM outputs that could be so configured I’m pretty sure. But I’m mimicking the fixed pump output GM system for simplicity sake.

But please share more details. More info in this thread the better

gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

Well what I have found if you run your car for extended amount of time the fuel cycles alot with a big fuel pump and the fuel rails heat the fuel pretty bad.what I do is run my fuel pump at idle and cruz at 33% pulse width making it cycle less fuel.when I hit higher revs/boost I up the pulse to 66% than 100% depending on rev/boost.this keeps fuel cooler and wear and tear on the pump down. You can find them cheaper this just for example.....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-S...SwrwJbnFRH
And wiring....

Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

I’m definitely curious enough and am going to take some thermal images of the pump and return to see what is going on

With this system the fuel going to the rails will only exit through the injectors. But by the same token the fuel doesn’t have 20’ of hose to cycle through dissipating heat along the way. The total distance on the return loop will be about 6’. This is why I opted away from the TEE on the bottom of the tank because the volume of fuel recirculating would be very small

gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

Oh ok! That should work pretty good than.I miss understood you. So it's exactly like a returnless system but different!! Smile
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

gprudenciop wrote:
Oh ok! That should work pretty good than.I miss understood you. So it's exactly like a returnless system but different!! Smile

LS swap people like to call it returnless but it’s a little bit of a misnomer. There’s actually a return but it’s a really short return that goes no farther than the filter regulator.

Instead of a PWM fuel pump like ford or apparently Subaru uses GM put the pressure regulator in the fuel filter.

buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

That's a pretty neat idea. I had never heard of cutting the cycling down on idle and cruise, but it makes perfect sense to me.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
That's a pretty neat idea. I had never heard of cutting the cycling down on idle and cruise, but it makes perfect sense to me.

I’ll bet the pump isn’t pulling hardly any amps most of the time!

Definitely cool

gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:

Instead of a PWM fuel pump like ford or apparently Subaru uses GM put the pressure regulator in the fuel filter.

Now you got me thinking about the gm filter! I'm doing an sr20de swap into my 64 volvo amazon right now and that filter/regulator sounds interesting. Would you happen to have a link to one? I googled but 50 million things poped up. Thanks
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

gprudenciop wrote:
Krochus wrote:

Now you got me thinking about the gm filter! I'm doing an sr20de swap into my 64 volvo amazon right now and that filter/regulator sounds interesting. Would you happen to have a link to one? I googled but 50 million things poped up. Thanks

This is pretty much the standard for LS swappage today. It’s like a 99 corvette filter regulator. The flex fuel 2.2 S10 regulator I am using accomplishes virtually the same thing but has a male output that suited my build a little better.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-GM-LS-V8-Fuel-Filter-Fuel-Regulator-Kit-58-PSI,41791.html

66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

gprudenciop wrote:
Krochus wrote:

Mercedes-Benz do the same thing, my 2001 e class has it, be prepared for sticker shock though, I'm paying over $80 US for a filter change just for the fuel system

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

Lots of progress today.

Virtually all the wiring is done as is the fuel system. I will freely admit I have made a cardinal sin and ran the fuel line through the car. I just didn’t have any other options I liked that kept it well protected. But everything is secured and well routed. The line actually exits passenger compartment where the original battery cable did. The battery is now in the cargo area along with the speeduino. Getting a few things to the front of the car like tach signal, heater switch and the wideband wiring was made really easy with a 9 conductor “cord” I got from a local audio shop.

The tank has been lined with red kote as it was pretty rusty and trashy inside. You can see the tee on the bottom of the tank (one side is blocked) this was accomplished by simply tapping the stock tank outlet for 1/4 npt.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

Great Job Kroc, Luv the cup holder and the fact u removed your shoes before gettin in the bug(same here) Laughing Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

Nice work. On the fuel return to the tank I have made setups to go into the filler plumbing to avoid having to weld a separate fitting on the tank, not sure if that could be done on these?
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

I’ve powered up and have pressurized the fuel system. Thus far no leaks fingers crossed.

I am having a peculiar issue I had before when I tried to use a relay in conjunction with the master power to my Megajolt. The key switch will not shut off the ignition power anymore.

It almost has to be something specific to my car.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: