Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery oil leak into top end rebuild
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Mystery oil leak into top end rebuild Reply with quote

I put new AMC heads(non-HAM) on a couple years ago but have been plagued with an oil leak that was coming for the 3/4 side. I have been replaying when i torqued the heads because at the time, i wasnt convinced my torque wrench was calibrated properly. I have been wondering if I had a loose head. I did install new pushrod tubes with viton seals. I have been having to replace my valve cover gaskets too frequently. On a long trip last year I even had oil come through the fan shroud up by the coil where I started to suspect my oil cooler gaskets blew and the fan was blowing oil in places it shouldn't be.

I just got it on the stand today and mostly undressed. My flywheel was dry as a bone so I expected to find oil all over the oil cooler, but nothing there either. I don't have the fan shroud off yet because I ran out of weekend... I'll get some pics up of my progress next weekend.

I did want to ask 1 question. Is a leak down test on a cold engine worthless? I figured it's still good for the valves but not sure about the rings.

Thanks for your help!

The silver lining is that since I have it this far torn down, I'll go ahead and replace the heads with my HAM heads I've been sitting around for just such an occasion.. Very Happy

VW Campmobile
For people who believe a family's
car should be it's castle !

Last edited by ac78 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

If your heads were loose you’d hear it before seeing oil. Gallery plugs can leak. Oil pressure switches often leak. You should have use UV dye and. Black light before you pulled the engine.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
If your heads were loose you’d hear it before seeing oil. Gallery plugs can leak. Oil pressure switches often leak. You should have use UV dye and. Black light before you pulled the engine.

I must have deleted that part. I do have dye in the oil and a blacklight to do some inspection next weekend. Ill take a harder look at the switch as well.

Thanks!

VW Campmobile
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

I assume you can run it on your stand?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

you mentioned valve cover gaskets frequently. The newer ones are thinner, while old stock are hard and less pliable. Put the covers on each head with the seals off and see if they rock. If they do the covers are tweaked. That was the cause of why mine were leaking. Tweak them back until they don't rock.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

I believe high breather pressure can cause valve covers to leak
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I assume you can run it on your stand?

I am not able to run it on the stand. To be honest I just planned on looking for the drips with the blacklight. The decision to pull the motor was from my last leak down test where I could only get a decent reading on #4.

SKG- I never had a problem with gaskets until the most recent heads. I cant sem to explain it. Ive always done the rocking to make sure ive got the cover seated. The main leaking seamed to be inward and upward.

What are your thoughts on the cold leak down test? I'm talking rockers off so valves are completely closed. Not sure if cold rings would seal 100% or not.

Thanks!

VW Campmobile
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

ac78 wrote:
I ... oil come through the fan shroud up by the coil where I started to suspect my oil cooler gaskets blew and the fan was blowing oil in places it shouldn't be.

... I don't have the fan shroud off yet because I ran out of weekend...

If you have oil generally covering your engine at this point, I'd say you hit the nail on the head and your oil cooler seals are leaking. I have that same issue right now, i'll be dropping the engine this winter to fix that... again... because I just straight forgot to torque my bolts last time it was out... they're essentially hand tight Embarassed
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

sorry, just found me original thread...Finally got some time to tear down a bit today. I've had been experiencing a pretty good oil leak and an oil light flicker on long drives. I'm interested in your feed back on my cold leak down results and pics from when I removed the heads.

I removed the rockers and the cold leak down gauge results are as follows:
#1- 100lbs- 100lbs
#2- 100lbs- 98lbs
#3- 100lbs- 100lbs
#4- 100lbs- 98lbs

That made me feel pretty good until I removed the heads. #3 and #1 had some oil in the cylinder. The pushrod tubes seemed clean. The oil cooler didn't look like the culprit. The clutch side of the flywheel looked good but It sure looked like the block side could have been slinging oil through the hole up onto the heads. Based on the oil in the cylinder, It looks like I have an issue with the rings. What do you all think?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW Campmobile
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

Could that oil in the cylinders come from being shifted around after
removal? Thinking a welch plug may be ready to let go on the flywheel side.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

I’m not sure on the oil but your thermostat looks shot.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

Excess blowby and an old hard o-ring on the distributor can get you oil on top of the block. I think you have excess blowby no matter what, though. It looks like the cylinders were honed very recently so I wonder if the compression rings were installed upside down or something??? Pull the cylinders off so that you can run a hone through them and seal the base of the cylinder to the block with high temperature silicone or other goo. Buy new rings and a rebuild gasket set and the two crankshaft seals. Do check your galley plugs carefully and peen around them if this hasn't been done before. This is not needed if the press in plugs have been replaced with threaded plugs.

Check for how much side to side movement the valve stems have in their respective guides.
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Excess blowby and an old hard o-ring on the distributor can get you oil on top of the block. I think you have excess blowby no matter what, though. It looks like the cylinders were honed very recently so I wonder if the compression rings were installed upside down or something??? Pull the cylinders off so that you can run a hone through them and seal the base of the cylinder to the block with high temperature silicone or other goo. Buy new rings and a rebuild gasket set and the two crankshaft seals. Do check your galley plugs carefully and peen around them if this hasn't been done before. This is not needed if the press in plugs have been replaced with threaded plugs.

Check for how much side to side movement the valve stems have in their respective guides.

These are the new Mahle piston and cylinders along with the new AMC heads I put on in July of 2016. I probably dont have more than 12k miles on them. The rings were already installed on the pistons so I only rotated the gaps away from each other. I did use the ATF goo at the base to block. However, I do have a shim down there too based on my prior CR calculations. I don't have the tools for honing so I'll have to find a local shop for that. Do you have recommendations for a good set of rings?

On a side note- my HAM heads have been sitting in the box for 2 years waiting to be installed so they will be used when everything goes back together.

VW Campmobile
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:

Everything on that side looks a little rough on that side from using a fire extinguisher when I dead shorted my alternator and smoked my harness. I saw red and there was so much smoke, I panicked sprayed. I'm definitely going to check the thermostat and see if a replacement is needed and available.

VW Campmobile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

my eyes say that there is a ridge on the cylinder so that means wear. The heads are warped. To my eyes that say the engine is getting tired. The pistons don't show problems with oil control so it might be from the guides. If the piston rings were worn, the oil washing over the rings would leave a clean area around the outside of the pistons (unless you are using a non-detergent oil). Go back and look over the photos for what I am describing.

rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

I believe #3 and #4 cylinders are marked wrong.

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

ac78 wrote:
71whitewesty wrote:

Everything on that side looks a little rough on that side from using a fire extinguisher when I dead shorted my alternator and smoked my harness. I saw red and there was so much smoke, I panicked sprayed. I'm definitely going to check the thermostat and see if a replacement is needed and available.

These thermostats fail in the “open” position. Since your engine is cold and the thermostat is expanded all the way, it tells me it’s shot. Easy fix since they are easily available. Someone makes new ones and I have bought them and they are great. I think it was made by “awesome powder coat” if I remember right.

I think 3&4 cylinders are marked correctly.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

Yes, they're correct. Momentarilly photo-dyslexic.
My bad.

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
my eyes say that there is a ridge on the cylinder so that means wear. The heads are warped. To my eyes that say the engine is getting tired. The pistons don't show problems with oil control so it might be from the guides. If the piston rings were worn, the oil washing over the rings would leave a clean area around the outside of the pistons (unless you are using a non-detergent oil). Go back and look over the photos for what I am describing.

When you say a ridge, are you referring to the jagged edge that's now there. What's your best guess on cause for that. Also, how can you confirm a warped head At this point?

VW Campmobile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery oil leak Reply with quote

ac78 wrote:

When you say a ridge, are you referring to the jagged edge that's now there. What's your best guess on cause for that. Also, how can you confirm a warped head At this point?

To my eyes your honing marks go up right to the top of the ring travel thus showing there is going to be little or no ridging. The cylinders on the POS 1800 presently in my van had a very noticeable rig ~0.006" and the honing marks were wiped out about 3/8" below the top of the ring travel. This never before cracked engine was basically proof of how poorly those SF rated oils so many seem to yearn for did their job.

Your heads show that they have been leaking over a fairly wide area. This is not unusual. This is one of the heads off of my old high mileage (250K mile) 1800, you can see that even with copper sealing rings the heads had leaked quite extensively.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: