Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 360, 361, 362 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Took the 1970 VW to the hardware store today, felt it was a little "off".

I decided to pull, check, and clean the plugs on my 1970, 1600cc DP engine today. Plugs weren't bad, but did find that the rubber vacuum line piece on the outlet nipple of the left end casting had deteriorated, causing a vacuum leak. So new vacuum hose and golf tee plug there.

But if I'm not happy with how it's running, I have decided that I will pull the shroud and intake manifold (engine in place) next spring to take a look-see at the right connector leak (when I'm up here more and weather is warmer). There must be a flaw or crack on the right side manifold or end casting near the boot, as I've had a leak there since the engine was built, why I deviated from stock boot clamps on that side early on. And it's not on the side that I can see.

I'm prepared to get a new center section manifold (figure a used one might have same issue and would have clogged heat risers), or new end casting. The vacuum leak is not coming from cylinder to end casting or under the carb itself. I think I'll just need to take a look, and then fix what's bad or order new parts then. It's always something....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I installed today a genuine VW Optibelt fan belt, the very last one from my NOS stock.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Practiced welding by patching the casing of a factory heat exchanger I have in my parts stash. I have to say....I may be the worst welder in the Mid-Atlantic region. But nothing that can't be smoothed out w/the grinder and topped off w/Steel Stick! Very Happy

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Not car per say but more garage specific. I ordered a garage heater that should be here on Monday. This is going to help tremendously in the winter months since the garage, although insulated, has no heat whatsoever.

This will keep me motivated while inspecting and formulating a plan of attack for my soon to tow home '56 bug, along with finishing the little things on the '71 that I haven't had time to do.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

drove it in a storm( nothing new) parked at my brothers,delevered a fridg to moms house, came back to brothers...more massive storm....bug no start...baja, eb=ngine out in the rain...usualy no issues...well it's been probably 7 years since Ive had a wet issue....but this sucker was soaked...and still pouring..So I sprayed wd40 ...still no fire...removed cap...what a pain in the ass to de&recap this car...I need to make a week set of hold downs.lots of wet inside cap.... blew out with freeon then wiped out and came home.in the pouring rain. could barley see out the windshield with the wipers on hi. dam thats a lot of water. we are already at almost 3 feet more for the year.. so I dug out my vynel engine cover and stuck it on...just incase.
ShaneS2992
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Changed out both cv axles due to one clicking.
Checked adjusted the pointed and valves.
Smooth idle and even smoother ride.
Great day for a cruise in Cali! Cool
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Took advantage of global warming to work on my brakes. Replaced front driver-side wheel cylinder. The old one had become corroded internally and was no longer pushing the front shoe out at all. Used ATE brake paste on the metal parts of the replacement and red rubber grease on the boots. Adjusted and bled the front, have to do the rears tomorrow.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Did some garage cleaning today and probably gave myself a hernia by picking these two up and putting them on the bench by myself

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Started cleaning the package shelf for proper rust prevention and repair. I hate tarboard.

Beetle Bums VW Club Member
VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Went from this

To this

seiyaTokyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I made my beetle movie!

Link

Seiya
74beetle 1200 STD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

A little while back, my parking brake suddenly started working. (I'd thought it was wired shut. Been frozen since I got the car.) At the same time, the pedal went 3/4 of the way to the floor. No loss of fluid.

Jacked up the back, pulled the wheels off, and tried to remove the drums. Even with heat and an impact wrench, no go. I need a torque meister for that shit.

Since I couldn't get the drums off, I went ahead and checked the adjustment on both sides. Pass side was just a turn or so of the star. Driver's side... I was spinning that thing for so long I was expecting to hear it fall off and hit the bottom of the drum. But finally felt the shoes bite into the drum. Backed off a hair and checked the pedal. Perfection! And the parking brake only comes up 3-4 inches instead of 10 or 12.

Apparently the brakes were frozen somehow, and broke loose on their own. I still want to get the drums off and replace the shoes, hardware, cylinders, etc. But for now, I'll take good functioning brakes.
exsystem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

VengeanceASX wrote:
Went from this

To this

Looks Great!
dorsett7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Happy new year everyone!today I resolved the clearance problem I had from a recent grant steering wheel install,the wheel looked great but was so close to the wiper and turn signal arms that unless I was really carefull,turning the wheel would turn on one or the other....a samba member(thanks vwfreek61)
Suggested a half inch spacer...$16 bucks later along with a 5 minute install and the problem was solved,the picture is a before pic,since this fix went so fast I also installed a new drivers door handle and swapped in the old tumbler to keep the key the same for both sides,even though the car is stripped down for paint and has no lights,couldn't resist a short drive on a back road...

Len K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

After inhaling fuel vapor for the last four months,

replaced fuel filler hose
replaced breather hose
replaced (and routed to outside of the trunk Rolling Eyes ) vent tube

Still need to replace the fuel sending unit gasket, but already less fumey...
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Gutted the interior. Tossed out the carpet. Found two layers of tarboard (!). Scraped off some of it that was in bad condition. Scrubbed and cleaned, and primed and painted those areas. Matte black, if anybody cares. It'll be covered by dynamat and carpet.

Then it started raining, so I buttoned everything up, threw the seats in the garage, and am waiting for the family so we can go to Laguna Beach.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Forgot the pics!

I know, I didn't clean *all* the glue and crap off. I was mostly worried about some specific places that had surface rust starting to appear. I just used some Rustoleum to slow it down for a few years. I may or may not do a proper restoration on this Baja. Most likely not. This is a fun beater car. If I decide to do it properly, or I ever spot rust growing underneath the paint, Rustoleum will sand off easily enough.

Before:

Len K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Removed the Grant Challenger Series Steering Wheel that was on the car when I got it.

To the right is a Formuling adapter, with an adapter plate to mate the Grant wheel to the adapter. I think the total weight with all the fasteners is like 8 pounds Laughing

Oddly enough, I decided to replace it with a SWEET NOS Formuling Steering Wheel. This is the 100+ Model, 380MM

Now I can see my dash through the Steering wheel a bit better.

Also have an extra Formuling adapter for a late model Beetle!
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Well, nevermind about the sandability of Rustoleum...

I decided to go ahead and put Noico mats in... I had bought them for the 64, but since I already had everything out...
Texaussie78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I continued with the resto by welding in the irs trailing arm pivots to my swing pan. Measure twice, cut once has never been more important than now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 360, 361, 362 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 361 of 449

Jump to: