Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

West Coast mirrors
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: West Coast mirrors Reply with quote

My bus had West Coast mirrors on it before I picked it up. Considering putting them back on to plug the holes , and see better. My fear is that I won’t be able to pivot them far as they might hit the upper bracket .
Anyone have this issue ?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1860461
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: West Coast mirrors Reply with quote

Do you have a link or photo to the "West Coast" mirrors? The truck mirrors that were an option didn't hit anything except you walking around or people cutting in between your bus in a parking lot or fences or garages or trees or bushes driving in and around.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: West Coast mirrors Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Do you have a link or photo to the "West Coast" mirrors? The truck mirrors that were an option didn't hit anything except you walking around or people cutting in between your bus in a parking lot or fences or garages or trees or bushes driving in and around.

Yep...a deterrent to getting near the old beater.
https://www.raneystruckparts.com/west-coast-7-x-16...gKDC_D_BwE

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: West Coast mirrors Reply with quote

Just glimpsing at the link and the way it amplifies the bracket I'd guess you're ok but won't you have to add more holes or will you drill the SS to your VW holes?
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: West Coast mirrors Reply with quote

That’s one reason for using the mirrors, is to take advantage of the holes that are there . I’ll redrill, the brackets, or make new ones if need be.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: West Coast mirrors Reply with quote

A visit to any bus show should yield an answer about any clearance issues. They were wildly popular- and it's hard to find a pair of slider frames at a swap meet that don't have those holes (a lot of them got traded for better cores).

It was my understanding that the term "west coast mirror" referred to the original models with the yellow chevrons from long ago- but was adopted to refer to several mirrors of the similar style. Hence it's now more a nickname than a trade name. Those modern things belong on long haul breaker 1-9 what's yer 20 good buddy rigs.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: