Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

Got a 1969 VW Bus with a transmission that needs rebuilding. Wanted to see if anyone could recommend a reputable shop for the rebuild. Thanks, Jay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
honestcharlie56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

I know its not what you asked, but consider that if you want to go with a like for like trans, your 68 trans can be replaced with a used unit pretty cheap. I have one if you interested. Hopefully someone will chime in with a reputable builder near you. Also, have you considered doing the rebuild yourself? Whats wrong with it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

Where are you located?
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

North Carolina
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

honestcharlie56 wrote:
…have you considered doing the rebuild yourself? Whats wrong with it?

The tools will be well over $2000 even if you get deals on them. Cool

This. Please tell us about your transaxle problems before you potentially waste money and good parts.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

Sorry, not familiar with anyone in NC. Jim’s Custom VW’s in Columbiana Ohio could fix you up, but he’s by no means local.

Not sure if I quite agree with asiab3’s amount for tooling, but you will have more invested for tools than in a rebuild, or rebuilt trans.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

I would contact matt steedle

http://www.mattsteedletransmissions.com/

he's in NJ, not a hack and does fantastic work. he is going to do it right or not at all.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

Where in NC? Unfortunately the best bus trans builder in the area stopped doing them not long ago. Next closest that I would trust is Billy at Rusty Bottom in Smyrna, TN. He did my last one, very pleased. I go over there regularly for work, from the Triangle, and could possibly transport for you if you needed.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Not sure if I quite agree with asiab3’s amount for tooling, but you will have more invested for tools than in a rebuild, or rebuilt trans.

Perhaps not; I've never done it. I was just going off of SGKent's post, where he totaled tools and parts at $3500 for his excellent at-home rebuild thread. I just took $1500 off because a good 091 would cost that much without a core, and though the tools are different for an 091, they aren't cheaper. Wink

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

Got it boxed up and ready to ship. Anyone know anything about weight gearbox in CA? Glad to about Matt Steedle.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

If you’re definitely shipping it, there are many vendors to chose from. You can do a search in the Performance section as well. There’s not much one shop over another does better on a proper stock rebuild. Who ever you are thinking about, give them a call, and talk with them. Some shops reuse a lot of bearings, and replace worn syncros with other good used VW ones, while other shops use all new. There are pluses, and minuses to each choice. Keep in mind that new bearings, and syncros will easaly be $300+ in parts. If someone is giving you a rebuild for $450, and saying they’re installing new parts, corners are being cut somewhere.
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

vwnc wrote:
Got it boxed up and ready to ship. Anyone know anything about weight gearbox in CA? Glad to about Matt Steedle.

Here ya go: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

To the OP - what you need to do first is get a hold of some companies in your area and see who they use when they ship awkward sized items like a transmission that weigh 100 pounds. Then you can think about where you want to send it. When I shipped a trans case to LA via UPS 3 day it cost like $140. When I sent that same trans case via a California based shipper that is commonly used 1 day it cost $34. Shop shipping costs. I'd stay away from any one who does not do shipping for a living. Also - if you can get a box big enough for it you can out it in garage bags then set it on some softwood blocks in the box and fill the box about 1/2 full of light expanding foam. When it hardens put another plastic garbage bag on top and over the box then fill the rest so it expands to the top. Then shave it even and close the box. It will be lightweight packing the cushions it from blows, but the folks at the other end can easily get the trans out.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

I bought a trans from Rancho. They shipped it to me, and I just reused their cardboard box to send my core back. I was surprised the box held up so well, but it was pretty sturdy and had lots of thick pieces of cardboard used as shims to hold it in place. That was an easier solution than crating or palleting it and trying to deal with shipping that way. I think shipping from California to Canada was about $100 USD each way using UPS one way and FedEx Ground the other. I would expect it to be a bunch cheaper staying within the USA.
100lbs or so shouldn't be an issue for any of the shipping companies. They should all have online calculators so you can enter in the weight and box dimensions to get a quote. Like SGKent says, shop around. There can be massive price differences between shippers.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Perhaps not; I've never done it. I was just going off of SGKent's post, where he totaled tools and parts at $3500 for his excellent at-home rebuild thread. I just took $1500 off because a good 091 would cost that much without a core, and though the tools are different for an 091, they aren't cheaper. Wink

Robbie

Actually maybe one or two of the required tools are different when it comes to 002 vs 091 mainly the removal tool for pinion bearing retaining nut on the pinion shaft. And the pin for the reverse gear on the shift fork adjustment jig. but still a sizeable tool investment either way.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

Its just a 4 speed manual transmission. Take it to your local transmission shop. They have the tools and can get the parts . Geez, you might think we are talking about a Lamborghini....

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

Its just a 4 speed manual transmission. Take it to your local transmission shop. They have the tools and can get the parts . Geez, you might think we are talking about a Lamborghini....

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:

It takes a special jig to be able to assemble the gear carrier and pinion, and adjust the forks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:

LOL!

I'm sure stupid looks are still free at your local 'murrican trans place...

What’s That Noise?!?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:

Where the emoji dude hysterically rolling around laughing when you need it....

Finding some to do a Lamborghini transaxle is easy... There’s a shop a few miles from my home. It might help the op if the employees of the local transmission shop were BORN before 1969. The local VW Dealership sends all Aircooled stuff to the shop I mentioned.

Try taking your 911 down to Aamco, and see what they say about a rebuild....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: