Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36HP Cam and Crankshaft Options
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: 36HP Cam and Crankshaft Options Reply with quote

Original 36hp engine, I have the 010 Distributor and Exhaust upgrade on it. It helped a lot, but was wondering, is it worth it to add the stroker crank and cam shaft? Say from Wolfsburg West? I really want to keep it a 6v period correct looking engine, so I am not interested in engine swaps, just would be nice to take it on the highway.

thanks
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Cam and Crankshaft Options Reply with quote

Talked to WW and they said 5hp increase. Would that make any kind of noticeable difference?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Cam and Crankshaft Options Reply with quote

I don't have personal experience but 5/36 is about a 14% increase in power so... Yes.

I know a 40hp in a 36hp car feels much faster.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 36HP Cam and Crankshaft Options Reply with quote

If I could cruise at 65 and keep it period correct with out spending the original cost of the car I would be very happy!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 36HP Cam and Crankshaft Options Reply with quote

there is no reason a well built stock 36hp can't cruise 60-65 all day long. A stock engine with a WW okrasa head kit bolted on will just do this slightly easier. Adding the crank and cam help the heads to work a bit better, as the ports are too large for an otherwise stock 1200cc. Adding 80mm pistons with the 69 crank is really the way to go, then the engine will feel quite peppy for a '36hp'.

jugs and slugs..

https://aapistons.com/products/80x64mm-1286cc-36hp-type-1-hypereutectic-piston-liner-big-bore-kit

lightweight flywheel

https://aapistons.com/products/porsche-912-356-lightweight-flywheel-200mm-12v
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 36HP Cam and Crankshaft Options Reply with quote

You've brought up an interesting question; "How much can I modify my engine while keeping the stock appearance?"

You can increase the displacement to 1600cc so with 356 crank/rods and 82.5mm pistons.

You can improve the heads by porting/installing larger valves.

You can add a hp or two by installing 1.15:1 "high" ratio lifters.

Keep the 16 blade fan - a 28 blade fan cools 7% better, but will cost you 2-3 hp at 4000 RPM.

I suspect the carb will be your limiting component.

If you're serious about getting the most of a 36 hp (appearing) engine, you'll probably want to talk to the Formula Vee crowd.

http://www.sracing.com/Tech/veetech.htm

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Cam and Crankshaft Options Reply with quote

thanks for the Links.

So my car is still 6v so I couldn't use that flywheel.

However, my thought process is at the moment at least. Do the stroker crank, cam, bigger jugs and pistons for now. See how I like it then at a later date to the Dual carb and head conversion.

Thoughts?

good idea or horrible idea......
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 36HP Cam and Crankshaft Options Reply with quote

frankthetank81 wrote:

However, my thought process is at the moment at least. Do the stroker crank, cam, bigger jugs and pistons for now. See how I like it then at a later date to the Dual carb and head conversion.

Thoughts?

good idea or horrible idea......

not a horrible idea but not a good one either. With the amount of machine work and measuring you're going to do to set it up correctly with that crank/pistons, why machine and CC the heads twice? Those stock heads will definitely limit the potential of your new upgrades, so at that point why spend $$ on upgrades?

building engines twice is almost always cost prohibitive. If you want to keep it single port/single carb then I wouldn't go for all those costly upgrades.
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Cam and Crankshaft Options Reply with quote

Valid Points for sure, the 1500 dollar price tag is just hard to choke down in addition to everything else.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Cam and Crankshaft Options Reply with quote

frankthetank81 wrote:
Valid Points for sure, the 1500 dollar price tag is just hard to choke down in addition to everything else.

absolutely! making improvements to 36hp engines is somewhat cost prohibitive compared to what you actually get out of them. the cost to power ratio is far more disproportionate than later 1600 based engines.

if you are going to spend the money to have a 69x80 built correctly ($$$), then its worth spending an additional $1500.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 36HP Cam and Crankshaft Options Reply with quote

sled wrote:
frankthetank81 wrote:

absolutely! making improvements to 36hp engines is somewhat cost prohibitive compared to what you actually get out of them. the cost to power ratio is far more disproportionate than later 1600 based engines.

if you are going to spend the money to have a 69x80 built correctly ($$$), then its worth spending an additional $1500.

It isn't a $1500 upgrade, it's actually closer to $2000 to make that $1500 kit work the way it's supposed to.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 36HP Cam and Crankshaft Options Reply with quote

If you stroke it the conventional way the stock intake manifold needs some heat and serious persuation to be widened approx 5 mm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: