Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power locks instantly unlock...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blair_Francis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Power locks instantly unlock... Reply with quote

Hey all,

So I've tried to find this problem in the forum already, but it always seems to be the reverse of my issue. When I try to lock my van with either the key or manually when inside the van, the 3 motors lock the van but instantly unlock again! There seems to be no way to actually lock the van now! Any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks!
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Power locks instantly unlock... Reply with quote

I know this is a Captain Obvious reply, but did you make sure you haven't closed your door on a seat belt? When I do that, my locks behave as you describe. Any irregularity in the door closing can cause the power locks to fail as you describe. It is a feedback mechanism.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Power locks instantly unlock... Reply with quote

the wire to the actuator probably finally split in the boot between the door and the body. You can find out which door or hatch by taking off the cards and disconnecting on door and trying to lock the other.
This happened to me but maybe im wrong.
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Power locks instantly unlock... Reply with quote

I’d start here:
https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=46
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Power locks instantly unlock... Reply with quote

jmranger wrote:
I’d start here:
https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=46

One of the front door master actuators might have a broken/weak spring for the up/down contact copper bar, so there is continuous power to the unlock wire. My guess would be the driver's side since it is used most often.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Power locks instantly unlock... Reply with quote

Bust out the multimeter! Time to go on the hunt for a short!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Power locks instantly unlock... Reply with quote

Pop the door cards off
Disconnect 1 actuator.
Try to lock the other door.
If the door and hatch lock fine then you found the side that has the problem (disconnected side).
Swap out the actuator from each side, connect both, and try to lock the "bad" side again.
If it still does the unlock thing then there is a short (most likely in the boot between the door and the body).
If it does lock than it is the actuator.

VC sells the eurovan actuators with vanagon harness and they also sell the wiring harness from the actuator to the central locky thingy.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Power locks instantly unlock... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Broken Yellow wire in the door sheath

Broken White wire above and behind the fuse panel.

Both wire happen to break one after the other on the drivers side.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Power locks instantly unlock... Reply with quote

Mine was the driver side as well. I guess its just opened and closed more often.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Power locks instantly unlock... Reply with quote

inside the actuator is like this

the copper disk rotates to act as the ON/OFF switch position, the little plate acts as the contact point... either the disk get dirty/corroded or the plate fails to make the contact because of the week tiny spring under it.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Power locks instantly unlock... Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
inside the actuator is like this

the copper disk rotates to act as the ON/OFF switch position, the little plate acts as the contact point... either the disk get dirty/corroded or the plate fails to make the contact because of the week tiny spring under it.

In addition to the broken wires I had was one actuator that was toast! I bought two new ones from Amazon and cut off the wiring harness of old and crimped on connectors to attach to the new ones.
Works just as it should. The connector were then hot glued and then coated with liquid tape to keep water tight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BZ898WR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: