Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. *Update 1/5
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. *Update 1/5 Reply with quote

if you, a friend or a shop have another trans around you can just swap out the entire bellhousing.

I have had at least one of the levers be an all ungodly pain to get off..

you'll also get a quick peek at the R&P health while it's open.
save and reuse the gearoil or replace.

I've reused the BH gasket if it doesn't rip/tear below the oil level. but YMMV new ones are only a few $
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. *Update 1/5 Reply with quote

T3messie wrote:

Next you need a piece of pipe fitting inside the outer bearing but over the shafts OD.

How did you procure this?

-Rob
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. *Update 1/5 Reply with quote

To my surprise, it didn't put up too bad a fight:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

*The PVC which has been cut in half in the photo was used to drive out the bushing.

I put a wet rag on the inside of the shaft, to absorb the heat as advised, and torched the lever for about 3-4 minutes. I then tapped it hard with a hammer about 100 times, not in any direction just for the vibrations. I began to see it move while tapping and then it pried right off.

It seems it is assembled so there is a large brass bushing surrounding the outer diameter, and nestled between this brass bushing and the clutch fork rod there is a rubber bushing, a metal sleeve, and then another rubber bushing same as the other(in that order). I am typing this out for future reference as I was very confused as to what was going on in there while going in.

I drove the bushing out from the inside out, not sure if that's the typical method. I measured the clutch fork shaft at 20.7 mm, and the outer diameter of the bushing at 27.0 mm. This turns out to be pretty much exactly the inner and outer dimensions of 3/4" PVC.

I cut the PVC using a chop saw so it could be inserted inside like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I then used a long flathead screwdriver and hammer to drive it out.

Now it's time to decide on new vs. welding. Primary reason I want to weld is to not have to wait on shipping.

-Rob
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. *Update 1/5 Reply with quote

Very smart Rob - This procedure needs to go to a transmission sticky Arrow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: