Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust testing and flow > Tri Mil
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vandenabeele andries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Exhaust testing and flow > Tri Mil Reply with quote

Hi guys, im currently building a moderate 1641 with double 32 NDIX carbs, DP ported heads and a Schleicher 159 cam. I have a 4 tot 1 with a single glass pack in the garage. However my wife dont like the look of it. I know, bang for buck this is by far the best choice. Dont wanne put the oem exhaust on, cause i dont wanne kill bhp and cook the damn thing. So I was looking at a Tril Mil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone got experience with these exhausts? Are they worth it? Are they noisy, do they breathe or are they engine cookers?

Id love to see an actual dyno test with the Tri Mil, however I found nada.

Also Ive remodeled an old test I found on The Samba performed by Volksworld.

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust testing and flow > Tri Mil Reply with quote

for mild performance up to about 85 may even 90 hp the Hot dog muffler manages OK. Sort of like a bigger stock muffler.
It will do ok with your set up. The carbs will most likely set the limit anyway.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vandenabeele andries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust testing and flow > Tri Mil Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
for mild performance up to about 85 may even 90 hp the Hot dog muffler manages OK. Sort of like a bigger stock muffler.
It will do ok with your set up. The carbs will most likely set the limit anyway.

T

Top,
I dont plan on making big hp. A mild 75-80 with 120 Nm seems reasonable. Its supposed to be a nice dependable sunday afternoon driver with long trips every now and then.

You wouldnt know about anyone who ever dyno tested one of these? Ive been looking all over.
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust testing and flow > Tri Mil Reply with quote

I’ve got a mild performance 1915 with a trimil hot dog on it right now. Though I didn’t get dyno sheets from the 2 other exhausts I tried, I do know that my particular engine liked the hot dog the most. Requirements for the exhaust was that it had to work with stock heater boxes.

Hot dog exhaust made 102 hp and 125 tq

1 3/8 standard header with glass pack made 95 hp and 127 tq

Empi quad tip made 89 hp and 115 tq

Of course, results may vary, but I am a believer in the hot dog. Sounds fantastic, looks great, and makes good power.

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust testing and flow > Tri Mil Reply with quote

I had that Tri Mill on my 67 Bug for about a year and I was impressed. The ceramic coating was as nice when I removed it as it was when I installed it (I've since gone back to stock with pea shooters) and it fit very well during the install.

I think the hot dog muffler sounded very nice. It kind of has the tone of a European sports car. Maybe Porsche like in it's sound. It wasn't quiet by a long shot, but it wasn't unpleasant either.

I liked that it maintained the twin tailpipe look of stock, but with a larger diameter pipe that looked very cool.

I wasn't seeking any real performance gains from my bone stock motor to be honest. I just liked the look and sound.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust testing and flow > Tri Mil Reply with quote

We had the hot dog on my wifes 61 (mild 1600), but switched to the Bugpak Single quiet pack because listening to the radio is very important to her. we dynoed both about a year apart and the results were almost identical. Not sure if/what is different with the Empi and the Bugpak, but the choice was made based on the VW Trends testing.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vandenabeele andries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust testing and flow > Tri Mil Reply with quote

Ok great. Ill most certainly go for the hot dog style Tri Mil.
andk5591 do you have a copy of that test. Ive been looking all over.

Cheers
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust testing and flow > Tri Mil Reply with quote

The Vintage Speed hotdog is nicer, and much quieter than the Tri-Mil (which is not quiet at all).

Even an extra-quiet option.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-SS-Sport-Muffler-155-203-05200-p/155-203-05200.htm

It's also a better flowing system, good for 25-30hp more than the Tri-mil unit, AND they have a 150hp version.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust testing and flow > Tri Mil Reply with quote

vandenabeele andries wrote:
Are they noisy?

In a word, YES! If you intend on cruising any distance in the car, it can get annoying rather quickly. It's loudest when the engine's under load, like when accelerating thru the mid-RPM range with a heavy throttle foot.

I ran one on a mild 1776 and had to remove it...just way too loud. But if you like that sort of thing, it's a pretty decent muffler...and far less costly compared to that Vintage Speed offering.

Here's a couple of videos of VWs with Tri Mil hotdog mufflers. I think they're actually quite a bit louder in person and will get even more so once the fiberglass packing starts breaking down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=6NcX-GAREsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=W734I_w0JAs
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
vandenabeele andries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust testing and flow > Tri Mil Reply with quote

Biggest secondary problem over here in Belgium is starting in 2019. Rules are gonne get tighter on the technical inspection for classic cars. Those are the cars wich get the O plate or oldtimer plate. I know from a very reliable source within the inspection centers, everything non stock will not pass.

So as far as my wife not liking the glass pack, this is a very big factor. I do not plan on taking my engine apart every 2 years or less. Or even worse having to buy a stock one in 3 months. Thats why the hot dog tri mil is my only bet.

The sound. Its a summer cruizer. If this were a daily I wouldnt even have this post :p.

In other news andk5591 was very polite to send me the test I was after. This showing the Tri mil single tip is worth the hassle.

Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust testing and flow > Tri Mil Reply with quote

What does those numbers mean? Decreasing weight with increased rpm?
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust testing and flow > Tri Mil Reply with quote

I'd like to see what an offroad exhaust does with no muffler. I have an 1835 with too big of an exhaust 1 5/8 and run a 13in glass pack so no restriction but I notice an increase on the but dyno when I remove the muffler. The motor just seems happier and runs better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: