Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

Yes, a 1965 SO44 Dormobile.

Quite rare so it narrows your search down quite a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

grampsvw wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for the help everyone! I found one picture of the interior, but I don't know much about them so I'm not sure if it's the westfalia interior. I believe the bus was sold in or near Florida.

I believe this one was turned in to the Salvation Army in Tampa and subsequently purchased by a guy that worked there, who would have owned it in this photo. This was mid-late 90's. I am fairly certain it was blue/white and was missing the interior. I don't know anything beyond that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

Updated with a couple jalousies and a front tire. But it has a Euro front plate and what might appear to be a center mount antenna. The haystack's getting smaller.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Updated with a couple jalousies and a front tire. But it has a Euro front plate and what might appear to be a center mount antenna. The haystack's getting smaller.

different style mirrors appear to match as well?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

Does anyone know what year Michael Steinkes so-44 dormobile is? That’s the only blue and white one I can think of. Wouldn’t expect it’s the same bus but I don’t know the history of that one.

Neat to see the ~ ‘65 only curtain fabric in that old picture.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

pretty sure Michael Steinke's old Dormobile is now owned by samba user karmann1952 and is a 1966

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

Nice. Hope to see it again one day.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
pretty sure Michael Steinke's old Dormobile is now owned by samba user karmann1952 and is a 1966

Damn, that's a monster bus!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Looks like an SO44.

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/VW/SO44_1.html

grampsvw wrote:

Thanks for the help everyone! I found one picture of the interior, but I don't know much about them so I'm not sure if it's the westfalia interior. I believe the bus was sold in or near Florida.

FWIW, that's the same exact westfalia interior set up that the phatchick '69 had which my Dormobile top came from. It was a one owner original westfalia with a Dormobile top. Cool
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

There is a facebook group dedicated to the SO44 (S044 Registry) where you might inquire about this bus as well.
grampsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

doveblue3 wrote:
grampsvw wrote:

I believe this one was turned in to the Salvation Army in Tampa and subsequently purchased by a guy that worked there, who would have owned it in this photo. This was mid-late 90's. I am fairly certain it was blue/white and was missing the interior. I don't know anything beyond that.

Does anyone know anything about this bus or its whereabouts? This one looks to be pretty promising. At least the mirrors and the plate seem to be similar.
Nick12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

Looks like Gramps' bus and the Salvation Army bus have the same mismatched bumper setup. Slash up front,,, pointed in the rear.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

Nick12 wrote:
Looks like Gramps' bus and the Salvation Army bus have the same mismatched bumper setup. Slash up front,,, pointed in the rear.

That's typical for '65.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
grampsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

I keep looking at the front plate and it looks like it could be matching.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

doveblue3 wrote:

...so is there anyone who can follow up on that?
Sure, that may have been as much as almost three decades ago, but is there anyone who can talk to the Salvation Army in Tampa and see if there's anyone around who remembers the employee...?

And/or are there any Tampa-based air-cooled VW folks (shops even) who can chime in, or be dragged into this thread to help track where/what may have happened with the Salvation Army Employee's Dormobile topped bus since the 1990's?

Love a good mystery; it'd be great if the community could help this guy discover what happened with his grandfather's bus over time.

I'm still driving my Grandfather's Westfalia, but I wish I could discover who the FIRST owner was. In other words, I get where this guy is coming from.
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

Heres the icing on the cake!
Same bus that Doveblue3 posted, photos that I had taken years ago.
Doveblue may know better but I hadnt seen the bus around for several years before I moved out of St Pete in which this bus/owner worked at the SA just down the street from me at the time.
Pretty cool to see the connection, hopefully someone will have better current info to add.

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Nick12 wrote:

That's typical for '65.

Odd that it has the pointed rear AND the early curtains. My bus has kit #967 whih has the pointed read (4/65 build date) but missed the early curtains by 300 odd kits.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Yes, a 1965 SO44 Dormobile.

Quite rare so it narrows your search down quite a bit.

With early curtains no less so has to have an early Fabrik-Nr. number as well (x out of 500).
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

BeaterBarndoor wrote:
Heres the icing on the cake!
Same bus that Doveblue3 posted, photos that I had taken years ago.
Doveblue may know better but I hadnt seen the bus around for several years before I moved out of St Pete in which this bus/owner worked at the SA just down the street from me at the time.
Pretty cool to see the connection, hopefully someone will have better current info to add.

This is 100% the same bus. The plate is the same.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for Grandpa's Split Window Bus Reply with quote

yup the paint even has the same fade just behind the drivers dogleg and in to the rocker
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: