Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever been to the Indy 500?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

It has been a dream of mine to get to the hallowed grounds of Indianapolis for the 500 for almost 50 years. I toured the track 2 years ago and this year I'm going to my first 500. YAHOO! Very Happy If you've ever been there or have knowledge of the area on race day, I'm yearning for any info on places to stay, see and avoid. Experiencing a crowd of 400,000 will certainly be a new adventure.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

Did you know that they have to weld the man hole covers shut because they lift off due to the vacuum the cars cause as they go over?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

I have not been to the 500 but have been to 3 NASCAR brickyard 400. Start early to the track, once you get off the bypass all the lanes are one direction to the track. The pace is slow 15 MPH at best may take as long as 2 hours to get to parking. The closer you are to the track parking goes up as much as 100.00 right next to the track. Plan to spend the whole day at the track and have a great time.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

allenw wrote:
I have not been to the 500 but have been to 3 NASCAR brickyard 400. Start early to the track, once you get off the bypass all the lanes are one direction to the track. The pace is slow 15 MPH at best may take as long as 2 hours to get to parking. The closer you are to the track parking goes up as much as 100.00 right next to the track. Plan to spend the whole day at the track and have a great time.

And bring a grill and an ice chest with food and drink for when you leave. It can take hours to get out and you might as well just chill for a while
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

allenw wrote:

I got a parking pass for $45 about 2 blocks from the track.

I'll be in section H which is between turn 4 and main grandstand. Is there anything to see outside the track? I know NASCAR has their souvenir trailers outside. Can you get to the infield to see the museum during race day?
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:

And bring a grill and an ice chest with food and drink for when you leave. It can take hours to get out and you might as well just chill for a while

I figure getting out will be a long drawn out affair. I've been to Pocono during NASCAR's heyday and leaving was a nightmare.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Did you know that they have to weld the man hole covers shut because they lift off due to the vacuum the cars cause as they go over?

Now why would they have manhole covers on a race track? Think Confused Shame on you
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Now why would they have manhole covers on a race track? Think Confused Shame on you

To cover the manholes so the racingcars don't fall in.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

Never been. Have a buddy who went every year before kids. His story was that they camped in the same guy's front yard every year.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

Never been during race day. My Wifes Sister lives in Indy and they have often talked about the mayhem on race day.

We abhor crowds....... will probably never go.

Have fun!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

We abhor crowds....... will probably never go.

Have fun!

I don't like crowds either but this has always been by far the #1 thing on my bucket list.

Little Al said it best at 2:20 of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj4fn8DTugA
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

Never been to Indy but I've been to a few NASCAR races. Plan on parking a mile from the track. If you don't have seats where you can watch the pit stops then don't bother going. The pits stops is by far the most exciting part of the track. There is nowhere at Indy where you can sit and see the whole track.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

I have been.
Nothing like the NASCAR Race I went to at Sear Point (leaving after the race was a Giant Cluster Fuck)
First less talk about the people, way too many people, by a factor of 100.
Then there is a the stands, set up to get the most number of people they can in there,
you can't move around!
The noise, is crushing, I had ear plugs, but you need better hearing protection than that.
I the morning there was enough dew on the painted lines, that the cars if they ran on them, spun out.
So 3 cautions in the first hour (I think).
Then the track dried, the noise is painful grind that lasted, never letting up, until the caution flag seemingly two hours later.
Never was I so happy for a caution flag!
Nearing the end of the race, there was more caution flags, so more relief from the noise.
Walking into and out of the track is a truly a trek though all the garbage Indiana or the end of the world has to give.
They sell these turkey legs for people to eat, you can't finish it, so they go in the trash, on the road, on the grass, on the sidewalks, fucking everywhere.
Then the traffic, yes there is a lot, it's a grind, but Indiana's Cops keep it moving, so it's not a big deal.
We drove from Columbus, Oh to the 500, and then back to Columbus in one day.
This was the day after I flew in from Ca, so it was a two long ass days in a row.
Things I'd do different now.
Fly in 2 or 3 days ahead, so I would be rested for the long race day.
Buy, Bring real good hearing protection, ear plugs, and earmuffs, I would have enjoyed the race much more!
It's a Lifetime Experience, but I don't need to do it again.
Other races I've been too, to give you a frame of reference
We went to the Champ Car races in the streets of San Jose, Ca:
They weld the manhole covers up, so the cars don't pull them off, but the Champ cars turned crossing the light rail tracks into jumps that were breaking the cars near the end of the race,
but you couldn't see it, unless you were in the stands right in front of that point.
So let's just say I'm not a fan of races with assigned seating, I'd rather drift all around the track.
NASCAR at Sonoma(Sears Point), or CART at Mazda(Laguna Seca) you can drift around the track for manny different views of racing,
I like that better.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
There is nowhere at Indy where you can sit and see the whole track.

They put up big screens all around the track so no matter where you sit you can see a big screen. I forget the number of screens but it's quite a few. There will be a big screen right in front of my section. I couldn't get a good seat on the homestretch. All sold out. There were some in the front few rows but I don't like sitting low. Pocono has a big screen right at pit road entrance. Works OK in my opinion. It's a long way over to the tunnel turn from the main grandstand. No matter where you sit at Indy you have to sacrifice something. It'll be a learning experience in many ways for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s06Yz8Le0o
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

I’ve been and it’s awesome, buy your beer the night before since Speedway is a dry county. Wink

I would also stay until Tuesday, if it rains on Sunday they will race the next day on Monday.

If you like sprint cars there is a race every night around town leading up to the big race, take ear plugs!

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
I’ve been and it’s awesome, buy your beer the night before since Speedway is a dry county. Wink

I would also stay until Tuesday, if it rains on Sunday they will race the next day on Monday.

If you like sprint cars there is a race every night around town leading up to the big race, take ear plugs!

I do plan on staying extra time if possible. One of my concerns is where to stay or how far away from Speedway do you have to be until you are able to find rooms.

Sprint cars? Asphalt or dirt? Where? I'm in PA so I know "a little" about 410 sprints on dirt. PA Posse ring a bell?
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

I was lucky and stayed at a family friends house and walked right to the track from there, the sprint cars raced on dirt.

German Folks
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
I was lucky and stayed at a family friends house and walked right to the track from there, the sprint cars raced on dirt.

Booked a room tonight. Man, they sell out fast! 75% of the hotels in the surrounding area are booked full already and the race is 5 months away.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

I went to the 04 Indy 500. It was rain delayed 2 hours at the start. And shortened at the finish due to tornado's in the area.

Even though you have close parking already paid for.
I opted to park the Indy Zoo and took a dedicated bus to the track.
Back then, the bus ride was $20.
When the "clear the stands" order came(remember the tornado warning). I was one of the first out of the gate and made it to the 2nd bus in line a few minutes later.
Back at the Zoo. Traffic was non-exsistant.
I made it to my hotel (La Quinta) in short time.

You can wander the track grounds on both sides of the speedway via tunnels under the track.
The Pagoda is pretty awesome to see in person.

They say "that while in the tunnels during the race. If a car is in the speed groove. The tires will cause a pop as it crosses over a track drain hole that empties into the tunnel".

The "Snake Pit" seems to be where the party is on the infield. If it still exists.

If there's a break in the action late in the race. Check the impressive beer can mountain under the turn one grandstand. The Fn thing is huge!

Have a nice time.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ever been to the Indy 500? Reply with quote

OK, so even though I'm sitting on the outside I can still get into the infield and walk around and see the museum and other things.

The Snake Pit is still there but it's an extra $30 I believe.

How close can you get to the garage area on race day?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: