Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cooked Pertronix?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrKats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Cooked Pertronix? Reply with quote

Hey guys, need help again. Pertronix billet igniter 2 is where I believe my problem lies. It very clearly says “CAUTION-DO NOT USE SOLID CORE WIRES”. Ok, the wires that came with the set would not fit with the type 3 intakes I was using at the time so I contacted the place I bought the ignition system from and told them my case. They sold me a set of wires that,as I was told, will work with my system as long as I changed the ends to fit the HEI cap. So, I did that and fired it up and drove it around noticing a miss at low rpms. After a great deal of trouble shooting, I realized these wires may be what considered solid core wires, they were a stranded copper conductor. I’m ignorant to plug wire terminology. So swapped out the intakes for type1’s and put the original wires bake on. Everything was good. Then I noticed cold starts were very rough, it started running rich and finally it wouldn’t start due to being flooded. So my question is, could I have burned out the module by using these wires and could theyvalso have affected other instruments such as my fuel guage and oil pressure guage? Go easy on me!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooked Pertronix? Reply with quote

My experience with the Pertronix module is they either work or they don't. Maybe give Pertronix a call? See if they can give you some info on how to test the module?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooked Pertronix? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
My experience with the Pertronix module is they either work or they don't. Maybe give Pertronix a call? See if they can give you some info on how to test the module?

X2...you DID reset the timing, right?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooked Pertronix? Reply with quote

Between our 2 buggies, we have over 200,000 miles and we've ever only burned one Pertronix module. I'm pretty sure it burned because I forgot the ignition switch on (without engine running) and the unit burned out.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cooked Pertronix? Reply with quote

The biggest cause of pertronix failures is reversing the leads. They have troubleshooting tips on their site. And I have never had one partially fail. They either work or they don't.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: