Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 a/c system
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Type 4 a/c system Reply with quote

I noticed under the option codes there are two a/c systems listed: M573 and M705.

I assume the second code refers to an updated version. Although a picture of the dashboard a/c controls appears in the Type 4 owner's handbook, I assume that like the Beetle all Type 4s with a/c had their system port fitted, not at the Wolfsburg factory.

I wonder who designed the a/c systems? The 1971 Super Beetle had front valence slots for cooling air to the condenser, if a/c was fitted, and the owner's handbook of post 1972 Beetles, also showed the a/c controls. So the factory must have done some provision for a/c, even if they never actually installed a system until the early water cooled cars.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 a/c system Reply with quote

As far as I have seen.....the extent of factory prep for AC....is the single purple and black wire built into the harness for the compressor clutch. It starts under the dash and ends in the enyine compartment on the left side by the relays in a sedan and by the heater fsn in the wagons.

And.....there is a pre-stamped indentation in the left rear piece of sheet metal where you would punch or cut out a slot for the outlet elbow and service port from the AC compressor....actually only one of the two designs will fit that port.

And.....the spacer that fits between the cooling fsn and hub on the crank....on Non AC models......that is removed when you insert the pulley that sandwiches between fsn and crank hub for the AC compressor.

And.....the four holes in the end of the cooling shroud on the left end....that seem tailor made for the compressor mount.

And.....this last one I am not sure of....but the stamped indentation on the right forward side or the trunk wall just forward of the right,wheel well....may be to help strengthen or align the mounting for the dryer that is usually mounted under the fender.

Outside of that I do not see any other allowances the factory made. But....those alone seem to state that at least they sere thinking about AC andchad a system configuration in mind when they built the cars. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tlake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 a/c system Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
As far as I have seen.....the extent of factory prep for AC....is the single purple and black wire built into the harness for the compressor clutch. It starts under the dash and ends in the enyine compartment on the left side by the relays in a sedan and by the heater fsn in the wagons.

And.....there is a pre-stamped indentation in the left rear piece of sheet metal where you would punch or cut out a slot for the outlet elbow and service port from the AC compressor....actually only one of the two designs will fit that port.

And.....the spacer that fits between the cooling fsn and hub on the crank....on Non AC models......that is removed when you insert the pulley that sandwiches between fsn and crank hub for the AC compressor.

And.....the four holes in the end of the cooling shroud on the left end....that seem tailor made for the compressor mount.

And.....this last one I am not sure of....but the stamped indentation on the right forward side or the trunk wall just forward of the right,wheel well....may be to help strengthen or align the mounting for the dryer that is usually mounted under the fender.

Outside of that I do not see any other allowances the factory made. But....those alone seem to state that at least they sere thinking about AC andchad a system configuration in mind when they built the cars. Ray

Thanks Ray, that all seemed like good starting points for the hardware.

The Type 4 should have come to America sooner, given its size, real automatic and fuel inj to deal with emissions. So you would think a/c must have been on their minds. The way it's shown in the handbook makes it seem like factory air.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 a/c system Reply with quote

If you're thinking about adding AC you might want to contact

https://www.gilmore-enterprises.net

He supplied me with all of the engine related partsfor my type 4 powered squareback. I fabbed up my own condenser setup, and he might have an under dash evaporater that would work for you.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 a/c system Reply with quote

I have the Gilmore set-up for my 1973 412. I haven't installed it as of yet, but used the kits on 3 other VW's. If you are considering purchasing the system, I can speak from experience - it is an excellent investment.

I'll be documenting the install of the 412 kit in the coming months. Feel free to reach if you have any questions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: