Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fresh air intake
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: fresh air intake Reply with quote

hi. does anyone have any diagrams or good pictures of the complete fresh air intake system for a 70 fastback?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: fresh air intake Reply with quote

This covers multiple years, but you can figure out which applies:
https://www.vwispwest.com/pg92
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: fresh air intake Reply with quote

thanks KTPHil. i have seen that and it is a good parts description. im still trying to figure out why there is a fresh air intake going thru the rear firewall, bolting to the heater boxes and attaching to a tube out back of the car on both sides. the previous owner had removed all tubing and i want to hook it all back up. the bentley manual and the haynes manual both only show a heater box on the left side and a fresh air intake on the right. i have heater boxes and fresh air intakes on both sides?
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: fresh air intake Reply with quote

or am i overthinking this. do i just need to attach a new hose to the 1" top pipe in pic 1 to the 1" pipe in pic 2 and just leave the pipe in pic 3 open to draw in fresh air on both sides? will the thermostat inside picture 1 automatically open and close or can anybody tell me how it works?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: fresh air intake Reply with quote

Are you running stock heaters and muffler? If so the little elbows that go to the heater boxes from the fan shroud have little pipes coming off that connect to those small pipes. (Thus blowing fresh outside air)

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: fresh air intake Reply with quote

i am not running a stock muffler or headers. so the factory elbows with the little pipes coming off them join to the pipe in my picture 3? what do you suggest i do if im running aftemarket headers and muffler? should i fabricate a custom elbow to join from the fan shroud to both the heater box and the fresh air intake? i am getting new heater boxes as i want heat in the car. this is the muffler and header i have purchased...

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-D-1013
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: fresh air intake Reply with quote

You can cap off those 1" (approx.) pipes at the body, and remove the foot-long metal 1" pipes above the valve covers... you can't use them with your non-stock muffler.

But you should then attach large flexible hoses from the cast aluminum shroud to the heater boxes, and then from the heater boxes to the car body intakes.

giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: fresh air intake Reply with quote

perfect. will order ducting and cap off and remove the piping. thanks very much
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: fresh air intake Reply with quote

giddy up wrote:

I've found that plastic film canisters make a good cap for the 1 inch tube at the body. Another is a test strip container for diabetics (fits inside the body side tube.
Don't forget to plumb in the large pipes for heat, from the heat exchangers to the body. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: fresh air intake Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
giddy up wrote:

I've found that plastic film canisters make a good cap for the 1 inch tube at the body. Another is a test strip container for diabetics (fits inside the body side tube.
Don't forget to plumb in the large pipes for heat, from the heat exchangers to the body. Wink

great suggestions. i was racking my brain trying to think of the best part to cap off the 1" pipe.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: fresh air intake Reply with quote

You would be amazed what some of the local smaller hardware stores have, like ACE hardware Tractor supply and Cal ranch have some interesting hardware items. Caps springs and other odd stuff.
Plastic film canister caps are few and rare as well considering a roll of 35mm film is something not many have laying around. Good idea though.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: