Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Zincro Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Quick Update. Most of the suspension is on. We have a customer project this will take up the lift for the next 2 weeks so it will be a late night tonight getting this wrapped up so we can push it around the shop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by outwesty on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:
These things are a lot more fun when they are not loaded down.

SCM wrote:
I'm glad that you're trying to keep it light. That's a refreshing change from the overload - er, I mean overland look that's so prevalent.

Right on, I'm with you guys. Keep it light, and it's nimble offroad, and fast on. The "overloaders" (I love that) never get to experience a Syncro's offroad agility. The seasoned ones get it. That big fat bumper won't drag your rig up that rock step, and all your shit on the roof and hanging off the ass end means you'll probably go ass-over-teakettle on an otherwise-easy off-camber move.

So many people go out severely overloaded, then they complain that the vehicle isn't what they want it to be, too slow, poor braking, mucho body roll, things constantly breaking, cry me a river. I remember one guy actually insisting that the van weight was the GVWR, I said "if it is, that's your fault". They only weigh two tons and if you're going out weighing closer to three, you need to get you and the old lady on a diet, have fewer kids, take less shit, or get an F350 and a house trailer.

This looks to be an outstanding build.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:

This looks to be an outstanding build.

Thanks tencent ! You get it !

Timing belt and water pump went on today along with the Foreign auto supply mounts.. I was bummed to find that the FAS oil pan interferes with the factory A/C compresor on the ALH. I believe we can still make it work with a little mill work.

Stock brakes all around. I will want to be able to use the 14" spare in the stock location (will also have a swing out for the 225 70 16's that are going on the CLK's) I figure the CLK's are light enough that it will cancel out the swing out weight Wink We toyed with the idea of putting the 16" spare inside against a wall with a cabinet around it, but there just isn't room to pull it off cleanly. Fox shocks in the rear and Bilsteins in the front. Not sure if that set up will stay but its what we had laying around at the moment.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

The engine and trans were mated up today! Went with a stage Two kep clutch as this will put out around 280 ftlbs with the VNT 17/22. Engine bay will be sprayed body color so I wont toss this in until after paint. A bunch of silicone hose arrived and I'm starting to design the intercooler set up. This will be air to air this time. The last one I did had an air/water and it worked really well but I want to keep everything about this van simple and the air/water adds a bit of complexity with pump, hoses, reservoir, etc.

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:

Geez, that transaxle is beautiful. I'm not sure mine ever looked like that!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

I love this build, please keep the progress reports coming. It's particularly inspiring to me because I'm doing almost the same build.

After a couple of decades of Vanagon loving I'm ending up where the OP is: keep in light, use a proven motor, and otherwise keep it simple. Mine will be a syncro, ALH motor, a transaxle worth its weight in gold in upgrades, no lift, light CLK wheels with 28" tires, and a spare backpackers attitude towards the rest.

I'm preaching to the chior (Outwesty and Tencent), but it's just so easy to over load this vehicle format. Syncros in particular look great lifted with giant tires and zombie bumpers etc, but doing so can overstress the drivetrain and ruin performance. Ask me how I know. Smile
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Escorial Syncro wrote:
I love this build, please keep the progress reports coming. It's particularly inspiring to me because I'm doing almost the same build.

After a couple of decades of Vanagon loving I'm ending up where the OP is: keep in light, use a proven motor, and otherwise keep it simple. Mine will be a syncro, ALH motor, a transaxle worth its weight in gold in upgrades, no lift, light CLK wheels with 28" tires, and a spare backpackers attitude towards the rest.

I'm preaching to the chior (Outwesty and Tencent), but it's just so easy to over load this vehicle format. Syncros in particular look great lifted with giant tires and zombie bumpers etc, but doing so can overstress the drivetrain and ruin performance. Ask me how I know. Smile

Thanks Escorial. I'd love to see your build. I've never done an ALH in a van. My biggest problem with the earlier AHU was the tiny little turbo. It just couldn't keep up on the highway. I don't think the 17/22 will have an issue in that regard. It is lifted, but not to the moon.

The body work took a lot longer than expected but shes straight as an arrow now. I'm hoping it can be sprayed in the next two weeks. We still have to prep the engine bay and remove some of the POR 15 that was there when we found it.

Almost forgot.... We picked up a very beat but rust free 88 wolfsburg donor just a few miles away. Its amazing how many tiny things there are on these things when you bring them down this far that you never think of. Brake lines, body plugs, hardware, brackets, whatever (we removed all of the hardware from this van and had it zinc'd as well)

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:
I've never done an ALH in a van. My biggest problem with the earlier AHU was the tiny little turbo. It just couldn't keep up on the highway. I don't think the 17/22 will have an issue in that regard.

The VNT 17/22 will bolt up to an AHU the same as an ALH. Anyone decent who does tuning can adjust the AHU ECU to control the VNT turbos easily enough. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the ALH, it's an excellent engine. Just adding info to the conversation.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
outwesty wrote:
I've never done an ALH in a van. My biggest problem with the earlier AHU was the tiny little turbo. It just couldn't keep up on the highway. I don't think the 17/22 will have an issue in that regard.

The VNT 17/22 will bolt up to an AHU the same as an ALH. Anyone decent who does tuning can adjust the AHU ECU to control the VNT turbos easily enough. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the ALH, it's an excellent engine. Just adding info to the conversation.

You are totally right. I actually had malone make me the chips to do that on my last van but I was intrigued by the Foreign Auto Supply mounting set up and had to try it. They are both fine engines for sure.
fleet_maintenance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

The build looks great so far! Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Nice work! I think a tdi is a perfect compliment to a Syncro...I'd like to swap mine at some point with an ALH as well.

Are you using the entire FAS kit or are you using some KEP stuff too?

I just put in a Jeff Stevenson ecu reflash in my 03 golf tdi and it's great! More power, more efficiency, and more fun!

Keep up the good work!
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Tah Dah. The Florescents make it look a little gold. It is not at all in real life.

Last edited by outwesty on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
Nice work! I think a tdi is a perfect compliment to a Syncro...I'd like to swap mine at some point with an ALH as well.

Are you using the entire FAS kit or are you using some KEP stuff too?

I just put in a Jeff Stevenson ecu reflash in my 03 golf tdi and it's great! More power, more efficiency, and more fun!

Keep up the good work!

Thank You. Using the whole FAS kit so far. I think a syncro diesel tank and factory diesel bellhousing would be ideal as you can use the beefier TDI clutch that way. Hopefully the stage 2 KEP clutch is okay with this and its not too heavy on the foot. I'm guessing its around 175HP/280 ft lbs with the 17/22, nozzles, and stage 5 tune
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Which springs are those? The white label on the second coil caught my eye and made me curious.
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Any updates / pics on how the van turned out?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

it doesn't look like you are running a decoupler.
so the 14in spare isn't going to be much use with 225/70/16 tires on the other corners. unless you find a ~28in diam. 14in tire.

outwesty wrote:

Stock brakes all around. I will want to be able to use the 14" spare in the stock location (will also have a swing out for the 225 70 16's that are going on the CLK's) I figure the CLK's are light enough that it will cancel out the swing out weight Wink We toyed with the idea of putting the 16" spare inside against a wall with a cabinet around it, but there just isn't room to pull it off cleanly. Fox shocks in the rear and Bilsteins in the front. Not sure if that set up will stay but its what we had laying around at the moment.

Quote:
225/70R16 tires have a diameter of 28.4", a section width of 8.9", and a wheel diameter of 16". The circumference is 89.2" and they have 710 revolutions per mile.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

What happened to the gold rear trailing arms? And also did you put on new spring perches on the gold trailing arms?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

SO awesome, Dave !! Thanks for sharing your journey ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

[quote="outwesty"]
tencentlife wrote:

outwesty, beautiful build.

May I inquire about the grille on the side of that red Westy ? I'm assuming fridge ventilation ? If so, stock fridge or ?

I read a few times about the biggest prob with the stock Dometic is getting rid of that heat ....

Replace with Truckfridge ? Yeah I get it but can't justify it with only a few roadtrips a year and a like Yeti style rotoform cooler onboard ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: