Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

Dumb question: when did the "fence" in front of the left-side tray disappear?

Longboardluv wrote:
i got it installed, thanks for the input everyone!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:

Looks great!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

thom wrote:

Longboardluv wrote:

Sometime in the early bays - probably with the T4 engine on or near 1972. Thats actually when with the deletion of the back skirt removal.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

thom wrote:

not sure what that is.. mine is a 65
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:
thom wrote:

not sure what that is.. mine is a 65

The piece that spans between the triangular support on the engine lid opening frame and the wheel well

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

Its on a 71 and not a 72 - because of the rear apron removal and T1 engine.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

A soft style tool bag would fit and not scratch the metal up. Secure it place with a piece of cord so it doesn’t walk into the fan belt or the like

That’s a perfect place for a gas can that is empty. A piece of rubber to stop it from sliding and cord to secure. Fill if needed to add reserve to cross the desert, empty on next fuel stop. Metal only , unless you put in massive chafe protection
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

Is this a reproduction safety fuel can? I see it has plastic spout. Where did you but it?

Regards

TJ

[quote="notchboy"]
DadaCheese wrote:

I have a BP gas tank thats got a tool caddy under it - 2 in one deal. That the ticket, but I think its a bit to big?

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

[quote="amishman"]Is this a reproduction safety fuel can? I see it has plastic spout. Where did you but it?

Regards

TJ

[quote="notchboy"]
DadaCheese wrote:

I have a BP gas tank thats got a tool caddy under it - 2 in one deal. That the ticket, but I think its a bit to big?

No its a real deal item from the late 80's I believe. NOS. Never used it. I think I got it here or on ePay? Like 7-8 years ago?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8042343#8042343

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

thom wrote:

thom wrote:

The piece that spans between the triangular support on the engine lid opening frame and the wheel well

I wondered, so I had a look at some of the restoration threads in the FAQs. Looks like it was deleted between 62 and 63.

My '56 single cab has it and it makes that corner a useful storage area in itself. Stops stuff rolling about.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
thom wrote:

thom wrote:

I wondered, so I had a look at some of the restoration threads in the FAQs. Looks like it was deleted between 62 and 63.

My '56 single cab has it and it makes that corner a useful storage area in itself. Stops stuff rolling about.

ah that's the answer! cool deal good to know. I learned two things today. I also learned that Australians call hurst bumpers "roo bars"
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

Not sure if it was mentioned, but there is a low "fence" (about 1/2" tall) after the taller (maybe 2" tall) fence was changed. Here are photos of the low fence on both right and left sides of my Jan '67 Bus.

left side:

right side:

There were photos earlier in this thread of a red engine compartment with no "fence" at all.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

Our 79 Westy has the low lip on the drivers side. I keep a small metal box there with a distributer, and all of my tune up tools and parts inside. It works well. Whenever I need to clean up my points, everything i there. There is enough room behind it for 2-3 quarts of oil. I did this when we started using the bus alot. It was much easier to access than digging through the packed bus. I have another box the same size that will go into the next bus we get on the road. It is a great space!!!
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

longboardluv Matt got me inspired to try something made of wood.

Painted 3/4" and 1/4" plywood. No holes drilled, held secure with C clamp in my '59 bus.
My tool bag may end up here also, it's now behind the passenger seat.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

Here's my "toolbox" in in the Daddybus Westphoneya camper. It's made by Optima. Comes in handy when camping.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: idea on installing toolbox on opposite side of battery. Reply with quote

Finally got bus and tank together again...

Dadacheese- your solution should work great and be even more proactical.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: