Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro filler neck unleaded restrictor removal Hans Solved
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Syncro filler neck unleaded restrictor removal Hans Solved Reply with quote

Hello, I did use the search, but may not have composed my search string well enough. I want to remove the unleaded fuel restrictor before I reinstall the syncro filler neck assembly. It is my intention to run the WBX engine for a while longer while I sort the driveline conversion out. I intend to convert to diesel power at a later date. I'd like to take the filler assembly apart only once.

Has any member dissected one of these syncro filler necks? I can see two spot welds that seem to secure the restrictor, but the fit is too good for me to believe all I need to do is to drill out the two spot welds and collapse the restrictor. Seems like a hole saw if I can secure the neck while I drill out the restrictor might be a better solution.

While I was searching, I did find a post that someone cautioned that you could not fill the tank with unleaded once the restrictor was removed. Something about the unleaded pump not being happy. Anything to that? Thank you.

Last edited by MarkWard on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro filler neck unleaded restrictor removal question Reply with quote

That is the only thing holding it in. I used an air hammer with chisel to get mine out. I might have photos in my gallery of it?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro filler neck unleaded restrictor removal question Reply with quote

Found it Hans.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That helps. Still wondering about not being able to fill it with unleaded for the time being. I have filled numerous jugs for my generator during hurricane season and not had a problem dispensing fuel into them.

Thanks for the info. Mark

Edit: Removed. I used a grinding burr on the inside of the restrictor to thin the metal around the two factory spot welds. With a combination of two air hammer bits I have for removing exhaust pipes, I was carefully able to remove the insert without damage to the outer piece. Thank you Hans. A picture is worth a thousand words.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro filler neck unleaded restrictor removal Hans Solved Reply with quote

Mark, it has been 8 years ago, but based on the comments I made in my TDI Club gallery, I used a Dremel to enlarge the filler neck opening. It has worked just fine using Auto Pump Diesel dispensing nozzles. I've never tried that big nozzles at the Truck Stops.

Here are a couple of pics (before and after)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: