Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Brake booster / servo
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
colvfrfg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Thing Brake booster / servo Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I'm going to fit a brake booster on my 1976 182. The booster doesn't have a dual circuit system, do i just connect the front an rear brakes lines as one?
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Brake booster / servo Reply with quote

I'm curious as to what you are using as a booster, and how you are going to power it?

Or are you talking about replacing the master cylinder with a single circuit one? The single circuit masters have 3 ports. One to each front wheel, and one to both rears. I would buy a dual circuit and upgrade if you are going to be replacing it.
colvfrfg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Brake booster / servo Reply with quote

It's TRW remote booster / servo.
The vacuum will come from the port on the inlet manifold.
The 'power' will come from one of the front braking ports and the other port will blanked off. The rear braking port will blanked off also.
The braking system at present is a dual circuit and it will be a single system after fitting the booster / servo.
The front and rear brake cicuits will be connected together
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Brake booster / servo Reply with quote

colvfrfg wrote:
It's TRW remote booster / servo.
The vacuum will come from the port on the inlet manifold.
The 'power' will come from one of the front braking ports and the other port will blanked off. The rear braking port will blanked off also.
The braking system at present is a dual circuit and it will be a single system after fitting the booster / servo.
The front and rear brake cicuits will be connected together
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've never seen anyone do that setup before, that is going to be a long way to pull vacuum off the engine.

Why not run the brakes they way they are now on the dual circuit master? I'd feel better knowing the brakes were hooked up in two places in case of a failure.
CarlSpackler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Brake booster / servo Reply with quote

Starting in '71 the type II had a vacuum line all the way to the front beam.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Brake booster / servo Reply with quote

The length of the vacuum line is insignificant; provided there are no leaks, and it is made of a material that will not collapse.
Several British cars built in the 60's and 70's had remote brake boosters. Additionally, remote boosters are a "thing" in the street rod world.

The stock Thing drum brakes are pretty weak (even in perfect condition and perfectly adjusted) when compared to the brakes on a modern car. Most people address this by installing disc brakes on the front axle (or on all four wheels).

I will be curious to see how this works out; whether a simple increase in hydraulic pressure from the brake booster will improve braking performance without causing other complications. One I can imagine right off is the loss of the safety factor provided by two brake circuits. In any event, I hope it works out.

Good luck with this, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Brake booster / servo Reply with quote

You might be able to come up with shoes that offer additional friction if you can't afford to go to front disc brakes.
colvfrfg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Brake booster / servo Reply with quote

The booster / servo is being sited underneath the back seat so it's very close to the vacuum port on the manifold.
Many Things (Safaris here) and Bugs (Kodok here) have thie same setup in Indonesia. I'll finish mine in the next couple of days and post the results.
Colin
colvfrfg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Brake booster / servo Reply with quote

The booster / servo is now fitted and working but only on the front brakes, the rear brakes are as original.

The capacity / volume of each section of the dual circuit master cylinder, is only enough for two slave / wheel cylinders. If required, another booster / servo could be fitted for the rear brakes but i'm not going to that because i'm happy with the results achieved.

The booster / servo input is operated from one of the front brake ports and the other has been blanked off. The output from the booster / servo is connected to the two front brake lines using a 'T' connector.

Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: