Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heater timer switch
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: heater timer switch Reply with quote

A while back I saw post on how to wire in a toggle switch to bypass the timer switch. I have looked and can't find it. I remember it said you couldn't run the heater to preheat the car. That is OK for me.
Anyone know where to find that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
I remember it said you couldn't run the heater to preheat the car.

You can still "run the heater to preheat the car", problem is the heater won't shut off on its own. You have to physically turn it off with the toggle switch that you wire in.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

77kafer wrote:
ldj1002 wrote:
I remember it said you couldn't run the heater to preheat the car.

You can still "run the heater to preheat the car", problem is the heater won't shut off on its own. You have to physically turn it off with the toggle switch that you wire in.

That will be ok. How do you wire the toggle switch. There is I think 6 wires on timer switch. On toggle switch there would be 2 wires or maybe even just 1 wire with the switch breaking it like a light switch. Either way what do I do with the wires on the timer switch I don't use, leave them on the switch, disconnect and tape up or other?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

in case you're interested, TTS has them in stock. new @ $70 bucks

http://www.thethingshop.com/TIMER-SWITCH-NEW/productinfo/181963107/

I bought one a few years back when they were at a show.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:

T

That photo only shows back side. Does front have the knob, bulb, etc. My switch is good but the knob is broke off. I can stick a small screwdriver in it and turn and it works. Guess I could just keep screwdriver in glove box.
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

Quote:
That photo only shows back side. Does front have the knob, bulb, etc. My switch is good but the knob is broke off. I can stick a small screwdriver in it and turn and it works. Guess I could just keep screwdriver in glove box.

I would try to fix what you have.
You can find just the knobs for sale if that's all you need.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Or if the shaft is broke, find a used switch, even if not working and replace the shaft.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=575105

They aren't difficult to take apart, just take pictures so you know how it goes together.
One of the things I love about ACVWs is just about all the parts are easy to take apart and repair.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

kenj06 wrote:
Quote:

I would try to fix what you have.
You can find just the knobs for sale if that's all you need.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Or if the shaft is broke, find a used switch, even if not working and replace the shaft.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=575105

They aren't difficult to take apart, just take pictures so you know how it goes together.
One of the things I love about ACVWs is just about all the parts are easy to take apart and repair.

The shaft is broke and was when I got the Thing. I had a wing nut with screw on it. I screwed it down into the switch and it works to turn it on but when trying to turn off it just unscrews. I have put several different epoxies and glues and it works for a short while and comes loose. Toggle switch sounds good to me if I knew how to wire it. $70 is too much unless there is no other way to fix it. Even then the screw driver in glove box is better.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
doublecanister wrote:

T

Unsure but I think it's just the switch. The knob is prob separate. But it's been a few years and i'm not 100%
if you call the THING shop they will chat with ya.
T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

I have my heater wired using a toggle switch, and just use the heater control knob to set the temp as normal. You just have to remember to turn off the switch, but it will still do the cool down cycle and function as-normal other than no timer.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
I have my heater wired using a toggle switch, and just use the heater control knob to set the temp as normal. You just have to remember to turn off the switch, but it will still do the cool down cycle and function as-normal other than no timer.

Thanks.
When I cut the black and the grey wire I now have 2 ends of each. Which ones do I connect to the toggle switch?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

All you should need to do is apply power to the gray wire. If your black is hot then the toggle will be the switch between them.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
When I cut the black and the grey wire I now have 2 ends of each. Which ones do I connect to the toggle switch?

The black wire runs between terminal 15 on the light switch to the heater timer switch. The gray wire runs from the heater timer switch through a connector and to terminal A on the safety switch. Assuming you are cutting the wires near where they attach to the timer switch, you would attach the new toggle switch to the ends of the black and gray wires that run away from the switch.

BTW, the red wire is always hot, and you should insulate the cut end. The gray-red wires are part of the instrument lighting and are hot when the lights are on. You should insulate those too, unless you get a lighted toggle switch, in which case, use them.

If you power the heater with the black wire, it will shut off when you turn off the key switch. If you use the red wire then you must turn off the heater. For safety's sake use the black wire.

2¢ — Let me echo what others have said and say that you should just break down and get a bona-fide timer switch.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

Thank all of y'all. I got it now.
JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

What's the black wire on the "x" terminal supposed to be for? Mine had electrical tape over the end of it when I looked in the dash.

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

JoelH wrote:
What's the black wire on the "x" terminal supposed to be for? Mine had electrical tape over the end of it when I looked in the dash.

With everything working correctly, the heater has two modes of operation. Imagine that on a cold day you might wan't to pre-heat the passenger compartment of the car before beginning a journey. In this case you would go out to the car, pull out the temperature knob on the door jamb and then give the timer switch a twist all the way clockwise. Then, with the key out, the heater would fire up and preheat the cabin, while you go back in the house and finish your morning coffee. In this case the heater is running on the unswitched power as provided by the red wire going to the timer switch. The heater when run in this unattended mode will turn off after the clockwork in the timer switch runs out - or about 20 minutes, so as not to run down the battery or drain the fuel tank dry or fill your whole house with poisonous exhaust gasses. If you get in the car and turn on the key switch, now you can turn on the heater by turning the timer switch knob just a little bit, to the detent. Now the heater will continue to run until you turn it off or until the key is switched off. At least, I think that is how the theory goes. My timer switch has never worked in this second mode. In any case, the black wire from terminal X on the light switch to terminal X on the heater timer switch provides switched power to the heater for operation in the second mode I described.
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

Cap't……..

That's how the heater switch worked on my '73 when it was new. Set the timer to warm up, first notch to run it once the engine was running. Worked every time....though that was 45 years ago Very Happy

BNMike
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

BNMike wrote:
That's how the heater switch worked on my '73 when it was new.

Thanks for the confirmation. Very Happy
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: heater timer switch Reply with quote

I have a good shaft piece from inside a heater switch pm me
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: