Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beware of Thermex brand front heater core
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

thanks, Dave. looks way better!

on another observation on that core... there was very little flow restriction that i could detect via backpressure on the inlet. it'll be interesting to see how it heats.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Dan, It would be great if someone had a Thermex brand one that they could send you to IR test.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

i'd love to do that! anyone have a new bad core they removed due to no heat they want to send me? it'd be very interesting to see if there are anomalies in the water flow.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Anyone have an idea of how much water is passing through the heater core while driving?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

on an '85 i had, i wanted to increase the front heater output so i added a 12v hot water circulating pump in the line to the front heater. made a dramatic difference in heat. so my short answer would be, "Not Enough".

mind you, this was for a van being driven year round with -30F winter temps.

-dan
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
i'd love to do that! anyone have a new bad core they removed due to no heat they want to send me? it'd be very interesting to see if there are anomalies in the water flow.

-dan

If I don't have to send mine back for a refund, I'll send it over. I'm still not sure the test is apples to apples though. Was the flow rate the same? Pressure?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Slimvest wrote:

If I don't have to send mine back for a refund, I'll send it over. I'm still not sure the test is apples to apples though. Was the flow rate the same? Pressure?

Right now Dan's test is an apple. He has not tried a Thermex for comparison.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Slimvest wrote:

Right now Dan's test is an apple. He has not tried a Thermex for comparison.

Maybe I wasn't following all the details, but wouldn't the flow rate/pressure from a garden hose be different from the vanagon cooling system? Or does it matter?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

as Dobryan says, all i have is just one Apple. no other Apple or Orange to compare with.

that said, the test proved what i wanted it to... namely that there wasn't short circuiting in the core. it distributed incoming hot water nicely over the entire surface, and that is flow rate independent. what we DON'T know is:

- does a proven bad Thermex have the same heat distribution?

- does the reduced fining of this core compared to the stock one reduce heat transfer? (there's more flattened tubes however which increase the Delta T onto the fins)

- does it bleed air as easily as the stock?

i think i have time to start the R&R this weekend. as always, the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. my current heat output sucks... bad foam, old heater core, frickin' mouse nest present observed (and pulled out) thru Mullendore port, locked up fan.

aaaand just to throw another variable in this equation, i'm pulling out my perforated restrictor plate and going to figure out some sort of fresh air flap. or maybe duct tape.

-dan
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Lots of good info here. Thinking of dropping my dash to reseal the heater box to the front cross member and will be replacing the heater core "while I'm at it".

Craig
boat_builder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

I'm having the exact same problem over here in Ireland with a new thermex heater matrix.
Blowing cold air and I can't get any more air out or coolant into the system. I've revved it pretty hard and driven about 40 miles and its still stone cold.
Looks like the dash has to come out for a third time!!
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

This is all very interesting. So does anyone know why GoWesty stopped selling their "new" model???
79 bay window OLIVER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

VeeDubDaySpa wrote:
This is all very interesting. So does anyone know why GoWesty stopped selling their "new" motdel???

I don't know........ maybe this?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711138

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

VeeDubDaySpa wrote:
This is all very interesting. So does anyone know why GoWesty stopped selling their "new" model???

I see it on their website, just not in stock. Is it no longer available?
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

I think there is some confusion here. About two years ago GW started selling an in-house designed core made from brass and aluminum. I have this unit and it seems to work fine. I don't get as much heat as I used to but I also failed to get the heater valve hooked up to the wires correctly and cant open it all the way.
GW stopped selling this particular unit and now sells an off-the-shelf core that is supposed to be better than OEM.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Quote:
I think there is some confusion here. About two years ago GW started selling an in-house designed core made from brass and aluminum. I have this unit and it seems to work fine. I don't get as much heat as I used to but I also failed to get the heater valve hooked up to the wires correctly and cant open it all the way.
GW stopped selling this particular unit and now sells an off-the-shelf core that is supposed to be better than OEM.

Yes this. I called them and the guy I spoke to said that they made one batch of them, then this other version came available. He made it seem like it was more economical for them to sell the one from ?Denmark?

I said, ok Ive heard people are having trouble with heater cores and I wanted to make sure it wasn't a design flaw that stopped the production on the "improved" version - and he said, yeah - we had a handful come back saying that they weren't heating, and he mentioned the flow issue mentioned in this thread...

... I have one I was going to install but now not sure how confidant I am in it...
79 bay window OLIVER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

The 2 heater hoses that go from engine to the dash are easily access under the middle of the van. You could simply cut them there and splice in your replacement heater core for a stationary test.

Or hook it up in place of the rear heater if that is easier in your vehicle.

Mark

VeeDubDaySpa wrote:
I said, ok Ive heard people are having trouble with heater cores and I wanted to make sure it wasn't a design flaw that stopped the production on the "improved" version - and he said, yeah - we had a handful come back saying that they weren't heating, and he mentioned the flow issue mentioned in this thread...

... I have one I was going to install but now not sure how confidant I am in it...
boat_builder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

I cut my Thermex one open to see why it wouldn't heat up.
I reckon the gap under the scalloped edge of the divider lets all of the coolant flow in one pipe and directly out the other without being forced through the small passageways at all.
Hence why the pipes feel hot but the core doesn't produce heat.
Foursome vehicle heaters in the UK make a really good heater core. It works great.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

that's so crazy bad. thanks for cutting one open.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware of Thermex brand front heater core Reply with quote

Ridiculous. You could do better than that with a piece of window screen & a pack of drinking straws... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: