Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Grounds. Check your grounds.

It was also suggested to clean the turn signal switch as everything goes through it... will do that as well.

If I read correctly, I should have a 6-wire turn signal switch. I will see if I can get home early to try to move this along...

Also, I am just going to start replacing the wires in the trunk with the new harness I got... and work my way back...

1961 VW Beetle - Ownership Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711372
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Use a test light and see if you’re getting power to the turn signals. If not, work your way in and see where it goes. Or test from the flasher and work your way out.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Use a test light and see if you’re getting power to the turn signals. If not, work your way in and see where it goes. Or test from the flasher and work your way out.

After replacing the front left bulb socket, the left side is working fine. I used an aftermarket socket... ordered a better one from WW that I can replace afterwards... just wanted that working as quickly as possible. Will work on the right side when I have time... the blinker on that side is completely dead...

Since I was ordering the bulb sockets, also ordered a few more things:

KEY BLANK, "SC" profile, genuine VW - I just want a cool looking key Smile This is the one with the perforated VW

The Assist straps with needed hardware as these were missing from my car:
2 - 113857631A - COAT HOOK MOUTING BRACKET
2 - 113857611BWW - ASSIST STRAP, silver beige (off-white)
2 - 113857635A COAT HOOK, WHITE, plastic
4 - N142601 ASSIST STRAP MOUNTING SCREWS

And these:
1 - 111805163 GLOVE BOX DOOR SPRING
2 - N128101 DOOR HANDLE DOWEL PIN - I have been lucky that I find them when they shoot out... but since I have to take the door apart again, not risking loosing one...
1 - 211201557E GAS CAP GASKET, fits 70mm gas cap - to have as spare
2 - 111953051A BULB HOLDER, front turn signal
1 - 111951113B HORN
2 - 111951195A HORN WIRE BOOT, seals horn wire to horn
1 - 113863509C TRUNK LINER
4 - 113863527A KNURLED NUT, secures wiring cover to dashboard - Not sure how many are required... ordered 4 just in case
1 - 113863515B WIRING COVER - this is the big cover behind the dash...in the trunk...

1961 VW Beetle - Ownership Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711372
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

Happy to report that you were correct. The right side is still not working, but I ran a ground wire directly to the front right turn signal and it started working. I thought this light got the ground via the base plate bolts to the fender. I will try to clean the area under that washer to see if I get good ground... worse case, I just run a ground wire directly to the housing.

The good news is that the turn signal switch is fine and I do not have to mess with it. I was not looking forward on taking that apart.

Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

wachuko wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Happy to report that you were correct. The right side is still not working, but I ran a ground wire directly to the front right turn signal and it started working. I thought this light got the ground via the base plate bolts to the fender. I will try to clean the area under that washer to see if I get good ground... worse case, I just run a ground wire directly to the housing.

The good news is that the turn signal switch is fine and I do not have to mess with it. I was not looking forward on taking that apart.

Glad to hear. So many times it’s the ground. Always the first thing to check.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

I have all working lights Idea Idea !! Was able to scrape the metal around the bolt on the turn signal base and now I have good ground contact and all the lights work as expected. Woohoo!!

Attached the relay to the bracket with some 3M double face tape for now...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wiper motor is next... let's hope that the issue is just as with the rest of the things that I have found, disconnected wires or missing relays...

After the wipers are working, and it should be here Saturday, will work on getting the new horn to work. Perfect opportunity to replace that wire harness section. Will continue to replace the harness as I go over the different areas in the car...

Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

I found a dremel with a little wire wheel works amazing for cleaning up brass connectors and such.

Looking good.

Did you get a drop down for the wipers?
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

Did you get a drop down for the wipers?

Have not started... reading on it first. Also it was mentioned that I have the wrong washer fluid bottle? I also need to confirm what type of switch I have in there and its condition. Just learned that 1961 is a one year only switch...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=450641&highlight=wiper+washer

Last edited by wachuko on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Ok. I got one of the drop down converters that has the potentiometer and honestly it sucks. Seems to work intermittently.

I’ll havd to look at the bottle. Yeah 62 has some one year only stuff. I’m not super familiar with a lot of it.
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Ok. I got one of the drop down converters that has the potentiometer and honestly it sucks. Seems to work intermittently.

I’ll havd to look at the bottle. Yeah 62 has some one year only stuff. I’m not super familiar with a lot of it.

I misread the comment on the washer fluid bottle... I have the correct one...

I could not get into it today... will work on it tomorrow morning. I did look at it and sure enough, all the wires are disconnected. I will place the inline voltage drop resistor/heatsink inline with the 12v source and reconnect it all to test. On the water side, I did noticed that the "T" with the dual check valves is broken... so I need to source one. Clear hose line needs to be replaced as well as the one there crumbles to the touch. More on this tomorrow.

I did replace the air cleaner housing and filter and modified the way the return spring was held in place... the way it was before it was not letting the cover seal correctly against the gasket. One of the POs sandwiched a flat piece between the air filter housing and the gasket to hold the spring in place...

Since all this will be replaced eventually by the correct setup, I just made a bracket out of some scrap pieces I had... Now the base of the air filter housing seals against the gasket as it should. It is also great to have a new air filter in place as well...

Before:

After:

And final product:

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Found a radio in the classifieds and it turned out to be local... picked it up and now installed... not connected... not sure if it works and not looking to deal with that now. I just wanted that space in the dash filled...

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

If your left heat riser actually works, you should consider moving your coil power and oil sender wires along with the metal fuel line from their current location. As they are now they are a break down waiting to happen, or worst case, a fire.
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
If your left heat riser actually works, you should consider moving your coil power and oil sender wires along with the metal fuel line from their current location. As they are now they are a break down waiting to happen, or worst case, a fire.

Thank you for catching that! Will correct the routing.

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

This car will never be a concourse car… I just want to make it a reliable driver.

Just making a list of pending items. Except for the first one, the rest are not in order of priority:

1. Fix fuel line and ignition wire routing
  2. Drivetrain hopping. Sometimes when I let out the clutch not right, the drivetrain would hop in a riding-a-wild-horse kind of way… need to check transmission mounts, clutch pressure plate… not sure if any of this can be checked without dropping engine…
  3. Run wires and install switch for fog lights
  4. Need to get under the car to validate what type of transmission I have. To determine if it has a reverse switch. If not, I will need to buy speedometer reverse switch and run wires for reverse/backup lights

5. Paint rims Silver Beige. Will paint them for now...got the paint from WW. Eventually, would like to get them powder coated.
  6. Install support brace for driver side arm rest
  7. Install inside door window squeegees
  8. Still waiting on seat covers. Want to strip the seats and powder coat (or at least paint for now) the frames.
  9. Install headliner. Once this is in place, I can then install the rear side panels
  10. Install new rear window seal and trim. After headliner is in place…
  11. Unclog heat riser (purchased in the classifieds) for stock setup
  12. Install stock carburetor with oil bath air cleaner
  13. Install stock distributor
  14. Correct title in the DMV from 1960 to 1961
  15. Fix/connect windshield wiper motor (also install the voltage drop resistor/heatsink)
  16. Fix windshield washer water system… this one will be fun…
  17. Fix rear lock. For some reason, I cannot turn the key to lock it. I got this new one as a set. If I take it out, I can turn the key without issues... installed, I can only turn the key if in the open position.
  18. Replace wire harness sections as I tackle the different issues.
  19. Remove radio to inspect operation and reinstall.
  20. Have local shop replace/repair any metal needing attention. Replace rear apron for correct one. Repair area in front of rear fenders due to bad patch job..and anything else critical that requires attention.
  21. Buy and install REAL running boards…

Done:

1. Raised
  2. Cheap #@%#@$ running boards installed
  3. Odometer cable
  4. Fuel gauge light socket
  5. Stainless steel moldings
  6. Door window trim replaced
  7. Tag light lens and bulb
  8. Front door panels replaced
  9. Sun visors replaced
  10. Rear-view mirror replaced
  11. New Pop-out windows installed
  12. New steering wheel installed
  13. Front windshield, seal, trim installed
  14. Missing radio. Only put in place for looks (for now)
  15. Headlights and turn signals operational
  16. Stainless steel roof rack installed
  17. New dash grab handle installed
  18. New knobs for switches and ashtray installed
  19. Emergency brake handle fixed
  20. Installed missing bumper brackets/spacers. This fixed the clearance issue between the rear engine lid and the bumper
  21. Broken wheel stud replaced
  22. OG Gas tank cap
  23. Missing gas tank hold-down brackets and bolts installed
  24. Matching keyed ignition switch, door handle, rear engine T-handle installed
  25. Oil change
  26. Billet crankcase cover
  27. Air filter on existing weber replaced
  28. Door rubber seals
  29. Engine lid rubber seal
  30. Replacement driver-side fender replaced and missing horn grill installed
  31. Replaced front turn signals
  32. Replaced rear turn signal lens
  33. Installed glove box basket (was missing the bolt and I had it upside down…)
  34. Replaced glove box door hinge spring
  35. Installed trunk liner
  36. Installed dash back (trunk side) cover
  37. Installed 3-point seat belts for driver and passenger. Went with gray.
  38. Installed assist straps – missing from my car. Got them from WW
  39. Replaced alternator pulley, shims, woodruff key and belt
  40. Installed and connected horn
  41. Replace rear passenger-side wheel bearing. This was something that the PO told me that it needed to be done. When I went in to replace it, it was in good condition, so only replaced seals
  42. Removed bumpers to install rubber grommets. Paint inside of blade in the front bumper. Installed rear-missing support. Install the bumpers back and tightened everything properly.
  43. Replaced rear brake shoes and hardware

Last edited by wachuko on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:09 am; edited 4 times in total
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Raised the fuel line... that riser gets very hot, and I mean fingers burning hot... thank you again mukluk for calling that out...

Installed glove box basket (was missing the bolt and I had it upside down…)
Replaced glove box door hinge spring
Installed trunk liner
Installed dash back (trunk side) cover

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Corrected the installation of the driver side 3-point seat belt. Replaced the Tan belt with the gray belt in the process. Also painted the hardware and made a cut in the carpet to install everything under it.... Carpet will eventually get replaced (still not sure if I will go with Charcoal or Black) but wanted to see how everything looked properly installed...

It is gray... light condition makes it look another color...

Now to do the passenger side.

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Passenger side done!

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Continuing to go over the car... I was chasing a weird sound... found a disaster waiting to happen with the alternator...

Keyway missing...

Pulley grinding the back even with that spacer in place...

Different size of spacers...and more than required...

A complete mess... I hope they sell the pulley and spacers and I do not have to buy the complete alternator...

EDIT: I see that all these parts can be purchased separately... cool. I will stop by the local store to see if they have them all in stock. I want it back on the road quickly.

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Got a new pulley, shims, woodruff key, and belt for replacing what was there...

Woodruff key in place. This fought me as it kept coming off as I tried to install the pulley... I was closed to securing it with JB Weld... used a piece of paper bag to make it fit snug and that kept it in place while the pulley went in.

EDIT: Looking again at this photo...I better put money away for a new alternator...that old pulley dug deep into the casing...crap.

Done!

wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1961 VW Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Assist straps installed

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: