Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamrhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

Searched and found many topics regarding importing and driving vehicles across Canada/US border but am curious about any experiences with transporting a non-running vehicle. Considering purchasing and shipping from BC to PA via professional transport. Just curious if any additional requirements are necessary, aside from the 2 standard forms, and how that gets handled with a shipper. Vehicle is not currently registered but can provide a bill of sale. Thanks in advance for any insights/experiences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

yikes....

I can tell you PA is a title state and it was a huge pain in the ass for a friend to get title issues worked out when he bought an out of state car to PA.

it better be free, cheap, or a low mile barn find to go through the hassle for a Canadian bus

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

Call US Customs and your local DMV. I would actually want to get something in writing from them before I actually started spending money.
Hamrhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not overly concerned with getting titled in PA, potential parts bus, but DMV did tell me that a notarized bill of sale would suffice. I'll follow up with CBP before deciding but was just hoping to see if anyone else brought a non-running vehicle across the border via a shipper and what was involved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

You'll want to check with US customs if a BoS only is adequate for export from Canada (it's not for export from the US), the non running part is not an issue if you use a pro shipper and a broker.

What's so special about a non runner "parts bus" that you have to ship it across a continent and borders?, where in BC is it?, my PPI's are reasonably priced priced and very concise, a second "hands on" opinion could save you thousands if the seller is only showing you the shiny bits Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vstylist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

I haven't had a shipper ship anything for me but I have brought a couple of cars across the border, Canada going into the USA. My best advice is phone a customs broker like Deringer, and get some advice from them. Their services were around $750 Canadian last time I went through. Not sure how it works with a bill of sale and not a registration to get across the border. In Alberta, we don't have titles on our cars just registration, and the pain in the butt is, you need an out of province inspection to get a registration even if it is an old car. In Saskatchewan, the province next to us, says if you have a car registered there you can register a classic (25 years or older) without an inspection. What I've done in the past has been to sell my car to my nephew in Saskatchewan so I can have registration on it for the border. Hope you get your bus.
vstylist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

Also, check if you can get it across the border as a parts bus. I brought a type 34 from the States into Canada that was cut almost in half. They counted as parts and didn't charge me anything.Not sure of the USA's position on parts cars.
Hamrhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
You'll want to check with US customs if a BoS only is adequate for export from Canada (it's not for export from the US), the non running part is not an issue if you use a pro shipper and a broker.

What's so special about a non runner "parts bus" that you have to ship it across a continent and borders?, where in BC is it?, my PPI's are reasonably priced priced and very concise, a second "hands on" opinion could save you thousands if the seller is only showing you the shiny bits Wink

My '78 has a solid body and motor but the interior is a real hatchet job from PO. Interior on bus in ad https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2181417, appears to have needed pieces. Looking at prices to piecemeal it together, it may be about as much and take longer. But your right, and as I kind of assumed, the transport/import fees may make this cost prohibitive.

Waiting for some shipping quotes, but if this is still a consideration, I will definitely consider a second opinion. Thanks.
Hamrhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

vstylist wrote:
Also, check if you can get it across the border as a parts bus. I brought a type 34 from the States into Canada that was cut almost in half. They counted as parts and didn't charge me anything.Not sure of the USA's position on parts cars.

Added to my list of questions for customs. Thanks!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

Life is reasonably easy for 25 year and older cars in terms of getting it over the border. Remember that getting it into the country (a Federal process) has nothing to do with getting it titled and registered (a State process) and mere ownership does not imply ability to get it on the road legally in your State.
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

Should not be a huge issue. I have lived most of my life in BC and I just imported a bus from Texas to Canada.

BC has the registration and insurance as one document, through ICBC. If you have the last insurance papers for it, you also have the registration and title. There should be no issue with that and if you don't have those, ICBC will provide it for $18.00 Canadian. Make sure the seller gives you those!!

That is it. There are no other registration/ownership papers for a BC registered vehicle.

I would suggest that you have a broker arrange the import. I did that and it cost me about $150 CDN. In the current deregulation craze for some reason they have gone the opposite with cars and it is more complicated than it ever was! That $150 will be the best money you likely spend.

It is true that vehicles over 25 are easier and if it is before 1971 that seems to help also.

Good luck!

Chris

PS: You might want to check on that "parts car" thing. You might not be able to register it for the road if you do so! You can't pay taxes etc as a parts car and then change in mid stream and declare it a vehicle again.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

Let’s review

OP is shipping from Canada to US
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

A friend of mine is importing a bay window bus from Canada to California. All the paperwork is actually ready, except he just got a letter from Sacramento asking to provide an official letter from VW stating that the emission standards for the Canadian market bus satisfy the US Federal ones as well. Ridiculous if you ask me, and nobody from VW will sign something like that. What to do???

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

If it is 25 years old or older you should be fine. The letter from VW is for any car newer than 25 years old.

Someone must have filled in the wrong check box.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/278/~...rsonal-use
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

nope. The law in California to get a title requires the first US state it is licensed in to be the state smog that applies. read https://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_faqs/vehicle_faqs/greymarket_cars_faq.htm

Last edited by SGKent on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

Yep, and Canadian smog specs were the same as 49 state Federal specs, so fat chance California will be OK with that. If they are good with the 49 state model the sticker in the decklid should show compliance (depending what year it is).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Yep, and Canadian smog specs were the same as 49 state Federal specs, so fat chance California will be OK with that. If they are good with the 49 state model the sticker in the decklid should show compliance (depending what year it is).

read this - there are time requirements of ownership as well. https://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_faqs/vehicle_faqs/greymarket_cars_faq.htm
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Import Non-Running Bus from Canada to US Reply with quote

Go spend a week taking it apart. Put the parts in a Uhaul and drive home. What could happen?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: