Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58 patina ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Paging Australia and New Zealand!! :D

http://vizual.casadecalexico.com/u/Calexico/L8Vb4r5KsUf0dA6cS/Tour.htm

I missed them once - John even offered me tickets - but it ain't gonna happen again!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Paging Australia and New Zealand!! Very Happy

http://vizual.casadecalexico.com/u/Calexico/L8Vb4r5KsUf0dA6cS/Tour.htm

I'm trying Laughing .. but the venue isn't taking bookings yet... or.. there's something up with their website. Rolling Eyes At least the tickets are quite reasonable.. Steven Wilson playing on this Friday at a slightly bigger venue nearby at three times the cost.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
I'm trying Laughing .. but the venue isn't taking bookings yet... or.. there's something up with their website.

Tickets On sale FRI 09 NOV @ The Factory Theatre
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Just got back from a two week cruise in The Caribbean to celebrate yet another birthday...they seem to be coming every six months at my age. Laughing

As usual the post was piled high on the door-mat but one was a delightful surprise...a double CD of one of my all time favourite albums.

I can't believe it was recorded 20 years ago John...even in 1998 you couldn't have called me a young fan.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Light-20th-Anniversar...ry+edition

It would be another 10 years or so before I exchanged Samba PMs with a fellow '58 KG owner who had the username "calexican"...perhaps he lived in that border town or was even a "Calexico" fan like myself. I couldn't believe it when "calexican" revealed his identity...how wouldn't I know that name I already had 7 of his band's albums and another by "Giant Sand" when John and Joey were band members.

If you're looking for an entry level to John's band's music the remastered and expanded "The Black Light" released last week is a great classic and well worth your attention.

Thank you John. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

I have tickets for the Sydney show. The venue is within walking distance from home. Perfect outcome so I’m wanting to skip Xmas and the new year so the date in January comes quicker. Cool.
Nicholas
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Hey thanks Sputnik and Kiwi for your support! I will be shooting out a pm and make sure you guys have backstage passes, maybe we can find time before the show, would love to see your Ghias. See you soon!

....and John as always, a huge thanks for all you do here on the forum. Someday if you ever come to El Paso, we can have lunch here!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Yep that's a date then John...Jacqui and I love authentic Mexican food, although I didn't take to the Rattlesnake Cakes. Wink
morts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Was in town (Adelaide) on Friday night for a French Festival when we saw a Calexico bill in the window of a shop when we were passing. I am planning on going so hope to meet you on Thursday night at The Guv.
morts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Well that was a blast. John saw my post and made contact by pm and I went along to see him and his band Calexico play a tight set at one of Adelaide's great live venues 'The Guv.'
There was pretty much a full crowd in both band and crowd were into it from the start. And the highlight for me was I got meet John and a few band members afterwards for a great chat. Thanks again John!

Volkswagen and The Samba - connecting low light ghia owners globally...
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Well after almost a decade of driving my Ghia with its original split case transmission, I made the decision to upgrade, rather than rebuild, when the old crash box crashed a few months ago. I’m really glad I did, so much quieter and user friendly Smile Here she is at the mechanics, I wanted to drive by and let him know what a great job he did, he had used my old tubes and drums and attached them to a later rebuilt fully synchronized tranny, I did all the removal and install. I noticed half of my old split case was sitting on that Ghia in the background...

I had a great time meeting up with Nicholas and Morts in Australia, even got to see the beautiful blue cabriolet, thanks Sputnik!!

This shop here in El Paso has some history... fortunately the owners son has taken over the business so I think it will be here for a long time... places like these are disappearing more and more these days.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

I'm digging how dry that place is! Perfect for preservation.

I enjoyed seeing the band ( and listening to them too!) It was a pleasure to show you the "Blue Cabriolet" I only regret your schedule was so tight that going for a scenic drive wasn't possible..

We can make better plans next time Dancing

Nicholas
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Took the time to read all your topic, really nice patina car!! Keep enjoying it Smile
Greetings from Stuttgart
Antoine
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Thanks Antoine, much respect for what you are doing as well with your Ghia.
While I was in Australia I had our promoter hang onto a dome light I had ordered from a vendor there as to not have to pay for shipping. Nice to have that working again.

calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Just another beautiful peaceful day here at the border.

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:

Just another beautiful peaceful day here at the border.

I love high Cirrus clouds...real sucker for them. I've tripped up carrying my camera so many times becaue of them. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by John Moxon on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
Just another beautiful peaceful day here at the border

Meanwhile, in Washington...
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Some more serious cirrus for John.... and we can only wish for more serious in Washington.

calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

A little more Dolphin Blue coming through! It really is a lovely color. I was taking my time with a little wet sanding, and keep finding more patches of og paint. Nice.

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
A little more Dolphin Blue coming through! It really is a lovely color. I was taking my time with a little wet sanding, and keep finding more patches of og paint. Nice.

Wow that is really showing nicely on that picture John. There was a lovely Montage Suisse one at the 2017 Hessich Oldendorf Show.

A surprisingly deep colour...

calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

So nice. I wonder if that is original, not sure if I’ve seen any og dolphin blues on the Samba...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 21

Jump to: