Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

i got free engine ! no numbers help !!
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redhotgto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

ok I got this engine given to me, its been rebuilt a few years back and still turns freely ,I looked all over the internet for a clue as to what it is.

I have looked where all sites say there are numbers, right under the generator, there is nothing no numbers whatsoever stamped there.

where do I go from here?
help !!!

thanks goatboy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

Anything near a case seam on the top?, got a camera?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
redhotgto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

no I cant see any numbers anywhere except on the intakes, heres those numbers
113 129 709 G
then on the heads?
29 vw 000.101.102
the other side is
17 vw 000.101.101 B
hope this helps some, i can take pics and i have trouble loading them but i can get it done if needed
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

You have dual port heads....That is the end casting on the intakes. If there are no numbers under the generator/alternator stand, take a look along the side of the case near the pushrod tubes and see if you see something like AS41
\
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

post a picture.

ultimately, much like a small block chevy, it could have been rebuilt several times, different (stroker) crank, bigger pistons and liners, upgrade to dualport heads, no telling without looking inside.

If it has a stock carb it is reasonably likely to have a stock crank.... anything else can be swapped in an hour to just about anything.

It is not uncommon to buy aftermarket case, unstamped, or to remove the old engine number during the rebuild, especially if the spec was changed, say from a 1500 singleport to a 1600 dualport.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
redhotgto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

well I cant find any more numbers yet, I will try and take some pics tomorrow and post them. I am used to pontiac engines, I know most of them by heart, as I ve built many gtos over the years so bare with me as I learn this new kind of vehicles.
thx for your help guys
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

Also check on the top edge of the seam, between the generator stand and the fuel pump (it could be obscured by grease, paint, etc). If it's there, then it was likely a Type-3 case.
redhotgto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

well heres a couple pics, ive looked every darn place I can think of and cant find any numbers, anyone recognize this thing?
redhotgto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

heres a couple more if ya can help !
thx guys

Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

I'd be happy if I got that, it looks like a replacement universal case, CC could be anything but probably a regular old 1600DP. Are you going to go through it first?
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redhotgto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

yes im gonna rebuild before installing, ive been told some engines are not useable in vans.
do you think this ones ok ?
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

I'm willing to bet it's a type3 motor judging by the type 3 irs trans mount
redhotgto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

ok help a guy whos stupid about this, whats a type 3 engine and can I use it in my van ?
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

Yes you can use it your van.

The Type III (squareback/fastback/notchback) engine uses a different cooling tin setup but it is based on the Type I (bug) engine. The Type I is essentially the same as a Type II (bus) so you can use it in your split window bus.

The engine you pictured has already been converted to a Type I/Type II configuration so you're good to go.

Easy as GTO engines which I'm also very familiar with. Cool
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

The block-off plate seen at the very lower right corner of the case is where Type 3 has oil fill connected.

faster-laster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

redhotgto wrote:

For future reference, this sequence of numbers is your firing order of the cylinders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

faster-laster wrote:
redhotgto wrote:

For future reference, this sequence of numbers is your firing order of the cylinders.

redhotgto: you see this piece here, with 1 - 4 - 3 - 2 on it? That's the generator stand. Look about 1 inch to the left of it, on the top of the case, under the grease and dirt...if it's a Type-3 case, there's a good chance the engine numbers are hiding right there.
redhotgto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

thanks for the knowledge buys, i will look tonite again for the numbers !
may have to take off some pcs but i will get there, dont want to spend money on something that wont work.
thx
goatboy
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

If you intend on running this motor I'd highly recommend ditching that oil cooler set up for an doghouse set up. For this you'll need a different shroud, dog house cooler and adapter m
redhotgto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: i got free engine ! no numbers help !! Reply with quote

yea I am gonna run a different kind of oil cooler, this setup actually came off a field sprayer so it was in the open air while running all the time.

but thx for the advice, I need it !!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: