Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pilot Bearing in Flywheel instead of Crankshaft?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miked914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Pilot Bearing in Flywheel instead of Crankshaft? Reply with quote

I've done a few searches and didn't come with an exact answer, so...
I've owned and worked on several T4 914's over the last 25 years but this is my only my second bus and the first one I've worked on.

1973 Bus with stock trans and stock input shaft.
I'm rebuilding my Stock engine (with 96mm p&c's, already from PO)
I have a good running T4 engine that I want to use to keep my bus on the road while doing my rebuild. This engine is from a 914 and came from a T1 to T4 conversion so the flywheel is a Kennedy conversion and not usable. The crank shaft hole is buggered up and clearanced for the T1 trans as the flywheel had the pilot bearing.
My question - Is there any reason I can't just cut the flywheel and put a pilot bearing in a stock bus flywheel and instal this with a stock clutch disc and pressure plate in my bus on the stock trans input shaft?
It looks as though the extra length of the shaft will just ride in the crank end. But will there be clearance problems with shaft and pilot?

TIA guys.
'73 TinTop Westy
'13 VW Sportwagon TDI
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pilot Bearing in Flywheel instead of Crankshaft? Reply with quote

Can't see a problem doing that. If you are concerned you could cut the end off the input shaft.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pilot Bearing in Flywheel instead of Crankshaft? Reply with quote

just be aware that stock 2L flywheels are cast iron. It would be rare for a crankshaft to not take a new pilot bearing. Are you sure the old one is removed.
Miked914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pilot Bearing in Flywheel instead of Crankshaft? Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
Can't see a problem doing that. If you are concerned you could cut the end off the input shaft.

Thanks, don't what to cut shaft as I'll be going back to original bus crank in the rebuilt engine when the time comes.

I'm going to take my flywheel over to European Motorworks today because I'm afraid of not getting the hole centered if I do it myself...
'73 TinTop Westy
'13 VW Sportwagon TDI
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pilot Bearing in Flywheel instead of Crankshaft? Reply with quote

Miked914 wrote:
Zed999 wrote:

Thanks, don't what to cut shaft as I'll be going back to original bus crank in the rebuilt engine when the time comes.

I'm going to take my flywheel over to European Motorworks today because I'm afraid of not getting the hole centered if I do it myself...

so confuse us. If you have a choice of choosing which crankshaft to use, why not choose one that isn't buggered? I repeat - the stock 2L bus flywheel is cast iron and not forged. Be sure that the machine shop knows that. Some smaller 914 flywheels are forged. Cast iron can shatter when stresses are introduced.
Miked914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pilot Bearing in Flywheel instead of Crankshaft? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Miked914 wrote:
Zed999 wrote:

so confuse us. If you have a choice of choosing which crankshaft to use, why not choose one that isn't buggered? I repeat - the stock 2L bus flywheel is cast iron and not forged. Be sure that the machine shop knows that. Some smaller 914 flywheels are forged. Cast iron can shatter when stresses are introduced.

Temp engine is built and running. Not really easy to swap a crankshaft. Original engine is being torn down for a rebuild. I just want to enjoy my bus while I rebuild the original engine.
This engine was going in a 914 where the pilot is in the flywheel. Now I want to use it temporarily in my bus wanted to know if it would cause any problems to put a pilot in a bus flywheel.

I'm pretty sure there is no pilot bearing in there.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'73 TinTop Westy
'13 VW Sportwagon TDI
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pilot Bearing in Flywheel instead of Crankshaft? Reply with quote

I would try putting a pilot bearing into it with green Loctite and see if it holds. It looks bad but may still hold a bearing. To be sure I would start looking for a new crank. Make sure you know what the displacement is before you do that. If that is a 914 engine it may only be a 1700 or 1800 instead of a 2L.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pilot Bearing in Flywheel instead of Crankshaft? Reply with quote

Looks like the outer shell of the pilot bearing is still in the crankshaft, just driven inward until it bottomed out in the hole...
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pilot Bearing in Flywheel instead of Crankshaft? Reply with quote

Nah, thats the spacer ring the stops the 914 flywheel bearing from sliding into the crank. Pretty sure all 914 flywheels are forged not cast. Just loctite the bearing in the crank ahter pulling the stop out.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pilot Bearing in Flywheel instead of Crankshaft? Reply with quote

Porsche and industrial engines had a pilot bushing used as a backup in for when the chintzy pilot bearing failed. Too bad VW didn't do the same, it would have saved a lot of grief over the years. The bushing is seen on the right in this picture:

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pilot Bearing in Flywheel instead of Crankshaft? Reply with quote

What are you saying???
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Miked914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pilot Bearing in Flywheel instead of Crankshaft? Reply with quote

The buggered up hole isn't exactly round. When I test fit the bearing in the crank it "high sided" on two points in the hole. I will try to get a proper bit in there but I'm afraid of it not being dead center.

HJ - Hey Bleyseng, WCR 50th weeklong event June 2020! Very Happy
'73 TinTop Westy
'13 VW Sportwagon TDI
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pilot Bearing in Flywheel instead of Crankshaft? Reply with quote

Buy or rent a pilot bearing puller and pop the bushing out of there. If a puller will not grab the bushing you may need to use a small diameter cutter on a Dremel and grind one side of the bushing all the way through and then collapse the remainder of the bushing with a small chisel.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-Tungsten-Carbide-C...nkQAvD_BwE
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pilot Bearing in Flywheel instead of Crankshaft? Reply with quote

I compared your photo to the photo of other pilot bearings and you've got something weird there. It is almost like the cavity is partially filled with JB weld or something then a smaller pilot bearing installed. It is already off center as well if the photo is correct.

Images from your thread and TheSamba Gallery.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: