Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

street buggy without bumpers / engine cage?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

I'm not really a fan of the weight or looks of bumpers on a buggy and am considering not running any on my manx clone.
Just wondering how many of you are running with no bumpers?
Have you had any issues with the law for no bumpers?
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

I normally run with no bumpers. Have never been pulled over. I had a cop look at the car one time and he asked me if I was using the exhaust for the back bumper! Sure, why not! Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

I am with you on that! Mine had none when I bought it and I really like the clean look. I have added an engine cage since simply because I could not figure out a way to tow a trailer without it. The front remains bumperless.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

I've bought and/or fabricated a bumper on the 4 buggies and rails I have built. Just makes sense to me to protect the delicate parts from those who follower too close or inattentive parking lot backer-uppers. I use 1-1/2" thick wall tubing and an inexpensive 16 ton manual pipe bender. I bolted on the first one at the transmission mount, but the last 3, I made them removable by pulling some clevis pins at the 4 points of attachment.

Just my 2 cents in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

Bumper, never needed them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

Just spent a bit of time researching Washington state law.
I just assumed that bumpers would be mandatory, but what do you know....
bumpers and hoods are considered optional equipment on street rod, custom and kit cars! Nice!
I never looked before because i was sure there was no way i was going to get away with no bumpers.
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

No bumpers here..

Made a removable tag bracket

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

I have a Manx type tube bumper for the rear, just never got around to mounting it.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

No bumpers on my street buggy... Never been stopped or questioned about 'anything' by law enforcement on my street buggy...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

I to like the clean look. But my fears of my hard work getting wasted overcome my likes.

I think it is a personal choice. I have run both big bumpers and almost no bumpers, (small nudge bar on rear and no bumper on front). Depends on what I am either going for in the looks department, or what I expect to put the buggy through. But never have I, or other buggies traveled with been stopped over bumpers all across US in my travels in the last 5 years.

This is an extreme situation, but Don Prudhomme pounded us in Baja, the bumper caved to within a 1/32 inch of the exhaust, and allowed us to complete the race with nothing more than superficial damage. Otherwise, we would have been totally done, and a high possibility of body damage would have happened in addition to a complete loss of engine and transaxle. Note the hitch. I built it straight out the back. No welds broke, just bent/twisted.

And as the old saying goes, "You should have seen the other guy!".

At the finish line having a Beer with Don.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

rodjr wrote:
I'm not really a fan of the weight or looks of bumpers on a buggy and am considering not running any on my manx clone.
Just wondering how many of you are running with no bumpers?
Have you had any issues with the law for no bumpers?

Since you are in Washington you are in luck.
Quote:
Notwithstanding the requirements of this chapter, hoods and bumpers are optional equipment on street rod vehicles, custom vehicles, and kit vehicles. Street rod vehicles, custom vehicles, and kit vehicles must comply with fender requirements under RCW 46.37.500(2) and the windshield requirement of RCW 46.37.410(1).

Washington state is pretty lax, IMHO, on busting for equipment. I've been running around for years without bumpers, seat belts (pre-'65 frame), or any outside mirror. I have yet to be pulled over in the buggy. Most of the beach buggies in WA where originally built under the old "Special Motor Vehicle" rules that existed until the early '90's and so they are registered as Beetles (registered as the vehicle they are built from.) My Mini-T says right on the title it's a purple 1964 Beetle sedan.
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

I decided i am going to cut up some cheap baja bumpers i have here, and build a couple of small "push bar" style bumpers. I will get them powder coated with a bunch of other stuff that needs coated and put them in the garage attic.

If for some reason i decide i want to add them later, i'll just bolt them on.
scooterperth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

Nice clean looking Buggy!
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

No rear bumper here, god I hope I never get rear ended.....

Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

I'm running a chrome buggy bumper on the back, but it doesn't provide any real protection. I've never been pulled over (knock on fiberglass).

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: street buggy without bumpers / engine cage? Reply with quote

I run them front and back but I also shortened them to pull them closer to the car. I think I took 5" out of the rear and 3" off the front

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: