Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
You're probably the only person on the globe with some. I once heard that Mercedes also used the painted dot same material.

What's the story on the mesh gray salt and pepper?

So did Porsche, but the dot spacing is a bit different.

I was visiting a car trimmer in Hannover and he had this genuine grey mesh material in his storage. Unfortunately not enough to cover all the seats of a Samba. This material is superb. It has a really strong backing and you can actually look through it when holding against the light. So this must be somehow breathable.
yarrum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

I put a thread up requesting for original style headliner,which I was given a lead to Tizian, A fair few conversations where had working out what I wanted and I working out what I need in quantity and the process of it getting made ,to work out sizes of material required. Once all was worked out I was keeped up to date on a regular basis on how he was going in making the headlining and at different stages.
It took a while for the postal services to do there job over the Christmas period but my headlining has turned up in Australia from Germany. As the photos above show it really is a great product that I'm really happy with and will make a big difference to my project 1972 double cab ute to Australian specs.
The work, time and effort that has gone into this really is impressive.I really appreciate all that he has done to get my headlining made and sent to me in the best way possible. If you want headlining made to original specs give Tizian (oliver) a message and he will sorely sort your requirements out.Thanks
regards Yarrum (Wayne)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

yarrum wrote:
I put a thread up requesting for original style headliner,which I was given a lead to Tizian, A fair few conversations where had working out what I wanted and I working out what I need in quantity and the process of it getting made ,to work out sizes of material required. Once all was worked out I was keeped up to date on a regular basis on how he was going in making the headlining and at different stages.
It took a while for the postal services to do there job over the Christmas period but my headlining has turned up in Australia from Germany. As the photos above show it really is a great product that I'm really happy with and will make a big difference to my project 1972 double cab ute to Australian specs.
The work, time and effort that has gone into this really is impressive.I really appreciate all that he has done to get my headlining made and sent to me in the best way possible. If you want headlining made to original specs give Tizian (oliver) a message and he will sorely sort your requirements out.Thanks
regards Yarrum (Wayne)

Thanks mate!
I appreciate that feedback very much!

Looking forward to installing the headliner into my samba. I‘ll post some images when it‘s done.

Cheers and happy new year to all of you here!
ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

to help those who need to sew their own headliner- some pics and dimensions from my NOS sample (soon to be no longer NOS), sunroof piece only.
I will upload photos of the complete headliner later.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

ozinbc wrote:
to help those who need to sew their own headliner- some pics and dimensions from my NOS sample (soon to be no longer NOS), sunroof piece only.

Wow! Great help! Thank you!

Can't wait to see the rest of it!
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

ozinbc wrote:

Hi ozinbc,

any updates on this? Very curious to see the rest of it!
ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

some more pics - tricky to measure every piece- its obvious which pieces are for the cargo doors, and the B pillar so I have not measured them.

note: the two measurements , unfortunately not in sequence - 212 x 49 are for the length of the precut piece on the non cargo door window surrounds.

Last edited by ozinbc on Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

more, the first pic shows the window surround pieces- the last three show the rear perforated section, which has one bow as support.

Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

ozinbc wrote:
more, the first pic shows the window surround pieces- the last three show the rear perforated section, which has one bow as support.

ozinbc,

thanks again. This is invaluable! One thing confuses me though. The rearmost perforated part looks so much different to the used one a friend of mine borrowed me for comparison. Have a look:

On the rear edge there is a thin strip of cardboard where it’s attached to the ceiling above the rear hatch. To the front end, the liner is wrapped around a thicker cardboard which is riveted to the ceiling bow behind the sunroof. The sides must go into the slots between ceiling and sidewalls. I believe a new piece would have had some strips of cardboard there as well, which hold the liner in place. I can’t see those things on your NOS piece Confused

This is where it goes to:

So the installation sequence would be:

1. Wrap the liner around the cardboard
2. rivet it to the front ceiling bow
3. attach the liner bow to the hooks on the rear ceiling bow
4. attach an fasten the rear edge above the rear hatch
5. Insert the sides into the slots.
6. Cover the slot with the headliner beading
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

It’s progressing. Looks way better than...

I know the screws on the fan are not the correct ones. I’ll fix that later Wink

Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

Looking back it's been a whole year now since I started this headliner project and the installation in my bus is almost complete. I'll post some more images later as they come in.

In my opinion the result so far is really promising and it looks quite original.

I decided not to pre-manufacture the headliner from sewing patterns but to let the trimmer do it the trimmer's way by meassuring in the car doing templates and comparing this with all the images you guys out there sent me from their originals, etc. So here comes a huge THANK YOU to all who contributed to this project in whatever way. Without this communitiy this probably would have been near to impossible. The originals are getting rare out there...

Right now I am figuring out a way (together with a guy from the German split community, who asked me to help him out in this matter) to reproduce a standard/microbus headliner. I posted it earlier in this thread that we are limited in width of the material. So we decided to print the ceiling part 90 degrees rotated and to sew the parts together where the tension bows are. So it's a bit more sewing but the result will be worth it. I will keep you updated on this one as well...

Bis bald!
Olli

Last edited by Tizian on Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:30 am; edited 3 times in total
ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

Hey Tizian, what a great look you have achieved. Those pics of the front installation look tidy! Good luck with the rest of the assembly and with the sewing project.

Steve
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

Those pics look great!!
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Next thing will be some testing on the ice blue version. I guess this will be the trickiest one...

I have some bits of the original. The spot where the domelight was once sitting seems to be good to do some color matching.

I know this is not a perfect reference. A well stored NOS piece would be better in any respect for sure. If someone has a piece, let me know Wink

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

Tizian wrote:
Thanks guys!

Next thing will be some testing on the ice blue version. I guess this will be the trickiest one...

I have some bits of the original. The spot where the domelight was once sitting seems to be good to do some color matching.

I know this is not a perfect reference. A well stored NOS piece would be better in any respect for sure. If someone has a piece, let me know Wink

That blue looks correct to me. I've seen some original blue headliner fabric which was folded under and protected until it was removed from the bus. Looked just like this photo.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

So the installation sequence would be:

1. Wrap the liner around the cardboard
2. rivet it to the front ceiling bow
3. attach the liner bow to the hooks on the rear ceiling bow
4. attach an fasten the rear edge above the rear hatch
5. Insert the sides into the slots.
6. Cover the slot with the headliner beading

Just to follow up- on my bus the rear piece of headliner was not rivetted, the same chrome headed clips that hold the door cards were used.
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

Progress is stagnating a bit right now. Nevertheless I like to share the latest views...

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

Okay.... I've been following along on this 'cus I've got a '67, and like to see the extremes that people go to keep them as original as possible, but I don't know how I missed that this is a sliding door '67? Wow.

Love all the work being done, looks awesome.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
nate9871
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

So when can I order a big roll of the painted dot headliner?

I want to glue it to my kombi headliner panels, glue will squirt out of the perforated variety
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Headliner for 1967 Samba Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
Okay.... I've been following along on this 'cus I've got a '67, and like to see the extremes that people go to keep them as original as possible, but I don't know how I missed that this is a sliding door '67? Wow.

Love all the work being done, looks awesome.

Gordo.

Thanks Gordo!
Correct: ist’s a 67 deluxe slider, which were more common over here than in the Americas. Some people hate those doors, but I personally think it’s one of the best ever sliding doors made until now. The closing mechanism is just impressing and works very smoothly... It’s hard to find spares though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: