Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing ACR, what to do with wires coming from dash?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brakayla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Installing ACR, what to do with wires coming from dash? Reply with quote

Greetings. First post here. I recently bought a 85 Westy and I’m trying to clean up a mess of wires at the auxiliary battery. I’m gonna install an ACR and was curious as to what should be done with the 3 wires coming from the dash. Eliminate them? I’ve tried to search for an answer here but have come up empty.

Thanks!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Installing ACR, what to do with wires coming from dash? Reply with quote

Did you buy the Blue Seas SI ACR?

What color are the 3 wires you speak of? Is your 'mess of wires' at the aux battery from the GoWesty kit?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Installing ACR, what to do with wires coming from dash? Reply with quote

Are those the wires that supply power to the auxiliary devices? I think that's circuit/fuse 3 for my 87.

Pictures would help. What are you taking and what are you replacing it with?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brakayla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Installing ACR, what to do with wires coming from dash? Reply with quote

I bought Blue Sea ACR part number 7610.

The 3 wires are red, red/blk & blue. There is a “3” labeled on the wire loom. The red was running to a Sure Power battery separator. The other 2 wires have a plastic cover over spade terminals. One was connected to the separator and one wasn’t connected to anything. I’m sorry, but I can’t recall which one was connected. There were several orange wires coming off the separator as well. I don’t believe this is a GW kit. Maybe a similar setup.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Installing ACR, what to do with wires coming from dash? Reply with quote

brakayla wrote:
I bought Blue Sea ACR part number 7610.

The 3 wires are red, red/blk & blue. There is a “3” labeled on the wire loom. The red was running to a Sure Power battery separator. The other 2 wires have a plastic cover over spade terminals. One was connected to the separator and one wasn’t connected to anything. I’m sorry, but I can’t recall which one was connected. There were several orange wires coming off the separator as well. I don’t believe this is a GW kit. Maybe a similar setup.

Nah this isn't a GW kit. I question why you bought the ACR since the surepower does the same thing.

The red thicker wire should go to your ACR. The blue wire might be an 'ignition on' wire.

You should get your volt meter out and check the voltages on these wires when the engine is off. Then with the ignition on. And then with the motor running.
brakayla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing ACR, what to do with wires coming from dash? Reply with quote

From posts I have read, it is my understanding that it would be beneficial to run a larger gauge wire from the starter battery to the ACR vs using that red wire. Am I right?
I will be back with the van tomorrow night. I’ll check voltages & see what I got.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing ACR, what to do with wires coming from dash? Reply with quote

brakayla wrote:
From posts I have read, it is my understanding that it would be beneficial to run a larger gauge wire from the starter battery to the ACR vs using that red wire. Am I right?

That's what I did with my ACR. I also keep the small 40 amp relay for the fridge intact. I would have to look but I think that I taped up some wires ends in the battery box.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Blaque Jacques
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing ACR, what to do with wires coming from dash? Reply with quote

The red wire coming is is the main power from the dash to the stock relay for the fridge and all power to the camping equipment. The blue is the trigger for the relay. when the ignition is on it opens the relay and allows you to run the fridge on DC power. The other wire is probably a ground, though cant remember. When I wired up my aux battery I used the similar yandina combiner/separator, wired directly to the main starting battery, and then used the red wire coming from the dash in reverse to power the radio, cig lighter, interior lights and clock from the aux battery, with an inline fuse, that way I didn't have to run a new wire under the carpet. nice and clean. I kept the blue trigger wire and stock relay so that the fridge stiil only operates when the van is running.
brakayla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing ACR, what to do with wires coming from dash? Reply with quote

The fridge relay has been previously deleted. So I’ll power the ACR with a cable from the main battery. I’ll either delete the 3 wires, or repurpose the red wire as Blaque Jacques has done.

Thanks for your help/info everyone.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing ACR, what to do with wires coming from dash? Reply with quote

If you still have the 3 way Dometic you should put a relay back in for the fridge.

In any case no need to delete any of the 3 wires, even without a fridge relay installed.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: