Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing Lights
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Timing Lights Reply with quote

Needed a timing light in a pinch a few months ago so I got the one at Harbor Freight for $30. It worked for what I wanted that 1 time, but then when I go to use it a 2nd time earlier this week it didn't work. Researched and found they are very sensitive and break easily. Just got an Innova 3551 off eBay for the same price as the Harbor Freight timing light. Gets very good reviews so just a heads up that you can get a better timing light then the one at HF for the same price. Innova also has higher end lights but if you just want a simple timing light the 3551 is the one to get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRA4_7N7rSc
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Lights Reply with quote

I would recommend the version with the advance dial. Makes it really easy to dial in the correct total advance for our sensitive air cooled VW's.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Lights Reply with quote

Educate me, I am old school there a timing light is triggered by the impulse it picks up on your #1 plug wire and gives a flash on the pulley.
How do these "advance dial" lights work and how would it improve my life?

Thanks!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Lights Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Educate me, I am old school there a timing light is triggered by the impulse it picks up on your #1 plug wire and gives a flash on the pulley.

Thanks!

Depending on your distributor, you are looking to achieve 28-30 degrees total advance at high RPM. (say, above 2500) With a dial in style light, you can rev the engine while adjusting your distributor to "dial in" your exact desired total advance. Then, once you let things settle back into idle, you will see where exactly your advance, at idle, needs to be set. That way, each time you adjust point gap, change points, or fiddle with anything else, as long as it is the same distributor and the internal advance curve wasn't changed, you can set the static timing knowing your full advance will be perfect.

This is a good way to set up a backup distributor to carry in your spare parts kit. Label it with whatever the static timing is, and if you need it, you can drop it in place, static time it, and drive away. No need for that big timing light in your travel tool kit.

Also, it makes the total advance much easier to set without a degreed pulley.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Lights Reply with quote

I see, thanks. I have always used a degree wheel or measured and marked the stock pulley at the desired point.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Lights Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Thanks!

I have an old timing light that I purchased back in the 1970's.
It was advanced for the time with the inductive pickup coil! I WAS EXCITED!!
No more pulling off the #1 wire and inserting a little springy thingy on the plug and into the wire being careful it doesn't touch ground once installed, you then clipped your pickup wire alligator onto.

Anyway...... last year after much reading about timing lights that you can dial in the advance, I felt woefully antiquated and purchased one.

I've used it a time or two........ honestly? It hasn't enhanced my life at all!

I had already filed a new notch on my pulley at the proper advance timing mark.
Using my old light it was stupid simple.
I can still use my new light that way but you have to be careful that it isn't set to note the advance or retard, if it is and you use the filed notch...... you're screwed.

I imagine I'll use the new light at some point on a newer engine ...... for now with my old antiques? I'll continue to use my old antique timing light.

As I often say about newer stuff....... "Too Much Technology".

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Lights Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
oprn wrote:

Thanks!

No more pulling off the #1 wire and inserting a little springy thingy on the plug and into the wire being careful it doesn't touch ground once installed, you then clipped your pickup wire alligator onto.

Anyway...... last year after much reading about timing lights that you can dial in the advance, I felt woefully antiquated and purchased one.

I can still use my new light that way but you have to be careful that it isn't set to note the advance or retard, if it is and you use the filed notch...... you're screwed.

I imagine I'll use the new light at some point on a newer engine ...... for now with my old antiques? I'll continue to use my old antique timing light.

Dave

Funny stuff. A timing light with an advance dial is "new technology". Advance lights have been around at least 30 years that I know of, and I am sure much longer than that.

If you already have a regular timing light, and you have a degreed pulley or a marked pulley, and that is the ONLY engine you have or will work on, you will be fine.

If, on the other hand, you are just starting to buy tools for your VW (or other automobile) maintenance and repair setup, or you work on multiple cars, an advance light is worthwhile.

If you get easily confused by that dial on the back of the timing light and are worried you may make a mistake setting your total advance, you might need to reconsider working on your own car. Honestly, This stuff isn't difficult.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Lights Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
djkeev wrote:
oprn wrote:

Thanks!

Dave

Funny stuff. A timing light with an advance dial is "new technology". Advance lights have been around at least 30 years that I know of, and I am sure much longer than that.

If you already have a regular timing light, and you have a degreed pulley or a marked pulley, and that is the ONLY engine you have or will work on, you will be fine.

If, on the other hand, you are just starting to buy tools for your VW (or other automobile) maintenance and repair setup, or you work on multiple cars, an advance light is worthwhile.

If you get easily confused by that dial on the back of the timing light and are worried you may make a mistake setting your total advance, you might need to reconsider working on your own car. Honestly, This stuff isn't difficult.

Well........ I'm NOT just starting out.
Been working on cars since the 1960's
Professionally in the 1970's and 1980's

I am actually on the exit ramp of life.
I'm am almost at that point where I am reconsidering working on my own cars but my finances tell me not to consider that option!

I help out friends and family if I want to. (Some familynhas been nivpcely banned from my services........ ungrateful millennials!)

I'll hang onto the light, you never know. Maybe I'll let Dwayne borrow it and he can play with it as he decides what to do for his next light.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Lights Reply with quote

My point was not directed to you, but to those curious about timing lights. If you have one and know how to use it, great. If you are considering buying one, it would be best to get one with a couple extra features that will be handy down the road.

I am done here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: