Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery ground strap
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

No luck in my searches of the gallery and forum. In my 1964 bus, where should the main battery ground strap be mounted? Mine is on the inside of the wheel well with a through bolt...seems like it may not be the factory location, based on how it was done.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

Where you see the red wire connected above that round opening. It is usually a flat copper strap.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

A '64:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

Feb. ‘64 owner’s manual:

Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

Make sure you buff the paint off before bolting it down.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
Make sure you buff the paint off before bolting it down.

And use dielectric grease. Also run ground wires from each taillight to that body battery grounding point for TS and brake lights that work bright and properly.
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

Interesting. The battery ground in my bus only has one wire to it- the passenger side turn signal. And i couldn't figure out why it is brighter than the other side!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

junichi wrote:
Interesting. The battery ground in my bus only has one wire to it- the passenger side turn signal. And i couldn't figure out why it is brighter than the other side!

VW finally did the ground wires for the TLs as stock at the factory in 1970 model year. Better late than never....
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

It's overkill to put the taillight grounds on the battery ground strap, as long as the TL grounds are correctly installed the factory location is fine. I actually think the opposite- the more junk you pile up on the ground strap the more likely you'll have a connection problem due to corrosion there.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

Double check your transaxle ground strap while your at it.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
It's overkill to put the taillight grounds on the battery ground strap, as long as the TL grounds are correctly installed the factory location is fine. I actually think the opposite- the more junk you pile up on the ground strap the more likely you'll have a connection problem due to corrosion there.

Never have had a problem grounding both the TLs and battery there in over 250,000 miles of driving. Works nice when one does clean the battery ground point, one gets to clean the TL, & battery grounds at one go.

If the battery ground cable is right against the body it is going to work fine. If one puts the TL ground wire between the bolt/washer and the battery ground cable the TLs seem to get plenty of proper ground. Have picked up recently Nissan large loop grounding connectors to solder the end of the TL grounds to and tidy this all up better.

Have had noting but problems with the stock pre-1970 tiny point that is supposed to ground the TLs, and have helped a lot of other folks with TL problems by doing this.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
A '64:

I thought that was were people added them when I got my first bus.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:

I ground my taillights to the body in every bus i've had. The little tooth that's on the buckets is well known for not making a good ground.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Bruce Amacker wrote:

I ground my taillights to the body in every bus i've had. The little tooth that's on the buckets is well known for not making a good ground.

same. I ground the headlights too
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

Maybe you're not understanding what I'm saying- I agree that a taillight ground is needed, as VW did from the factory. You can see it here in this ground strap picture (I did not install that, it's the wrong type of screw). What I'm saying is I prefer to have it separate from the battery ground strap. The more stuff you stack up, the more likely you'll have a connection problem. I've seen and repaired it many times on trucks where they stack numerous eyelets on top of each other. Maybe it's an electrolytic reaction or something but it's common to have a bad connection when there's multiple things stacked up. I like to run the taillight ground separate like in the picture. I usually put them on the 45* angled piece about 1" behind where this one is screwed, but I don't have a good picture of one.

The picture above of the red bus is not the preferred location- the 14ga wire could hold the strap up away from the body, causing a slightly higher voltage drop. The TL ground should not be under the strap. If VW thought this was better it would have been this way from the factory.

PS Someone put a new strap on this bus and it had something like .3v drop at this spot because they didn't buff the paint off first. They did use a serrated washer, which didn't help. Buffing the paint fixed the V drop and made the starter spin audibly faster.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery ground strap Reply with quote

I understand what you mean and it makes sense.

I think the '64 above had a bare wire wrapped around the battery strap mounting bolt.
Not the cleanest thing to do.

On my '63 I used a large ring terminal under the bolt so it basically acts as an extra washer.
These sorts of things

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: