Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I've used barbed/clamped oil cooler lines without issue.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Do you know if most oil coolers are bi directional? The thing is I had 4 clamps on each line. 8 fail points really. I had tightened everything up in warmer weather but today after the failure I noticed that I could do several more turns on each clamp. If I can go to threaded lines, AN, I would feel better.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I have a Seatrab oil cooler and cannot find info on if one port is "in" or if it doesn't matter.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

The way i reduced the lines was the problem. I added 4 additional hose barb reducers instead of replacing the original fittings.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

May I ask what ID hose you prefer for oil coolers?
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I decided on 1/2" ID hose for the oil cooler. I started the van today and drove around the block. Anti climactic. I can hear the turbo whistling louder when I give it fuel but I dont think I'm going any faster than I was before. I can't get the boost gauge to register any pressure though. I have it hooked into the waste gate. Nipple on intake elbow is capped. I would think that if I can hear the turbo I should see something on the gauge. Next step will be increasing max fuel.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Will try going faster and maybe teeing off the intake elbow for the gauge first.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

So with no fuel increase I am seeing 5 psi max on the gauge. I am now going to start increasing fuel.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

So with a 1/4 turn clockwise on max fuel screw I have a whole new situation. Van feels "normal" in a great way. That little bit of added fuel was really nice.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

What boost pressure are you seeing now?
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

On last run the gauge didnt seem to respond. It is dark now and Ive lost interior dash lighting (again) so I am calling it quits for today. Psyched for tommorow though...
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Gauges are still lit, its a foil thing.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Typically there's a fitting tapped directly into the snail shell of the turbo. This would provide boost pressure (when your boosting). Typically, there's a "T" in the hose coming off this fitting. From the "T", one hose goes to the waste gate actuator-can, and the other goes to the LDA (if you have an LDA). Tapping into this hose with another T would give you a boost signal. Also, tapping into the intake anywhere post turbo would do as well.

Are you using an analog (direct pressure reading) gauge, or is it electronic/digital? An electronic gauge needs a transducer to provide a relative signal to an electric gauge. I had a digital with a bad transducer. I've switched to analog because I had the transducer fail - which drove me nuts for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

The gauge is mechanical in that it has a hose attached. I have the NA IP so no LDA. Thanks for reply.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I ended up plugging the waste gate and running hose from the intake elbow. Didn't have any extra hose to do a tee. One thing I need to do before driving it again is to secure the exhaust. It is temporary but with to connection to the van beside a thin metal hanger it is vibrating like mad and I don't want to damage the turbo itself. I am thinking about making a clamp by using a 1 1/2 in. clamp on the carrier bar bolted to a 2 1/2 in. clamp back to back and that would hold the pipe. I have a generic diesel cat. that I plan to install but still deciding on if I want to go straight or copy the original design and mount it cross ways, just using a cat in place of where muffler was.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

It is best to only make/use brackets off the engine to hold the exhaust. Going to the body will rattle your brains out and eventually crack the exhaust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I had read about that issue and for now I am taking it down to basically the down pipe while I get my design sorted, One problem I will have is that one of the thread castings is broken on my oil pan so using the passenger side mount is not an option without a workaround for that bolt.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Bummer about the bad thread if you mean the two on the aluminum pan tip, That is where my bracket is and holds a glass-pack muffler perfectly. I'd seriously consider tig-welding it up and tapping a new hole. I'll bet if you drained the oil someone could do it in place.

BTW, in one of your pics, I see a blue hose coming from the manifold elbow. Is that going to your boost gauge?
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Yes that is the hose going to gauge. You are thinking what I'm thinking on welding the oil pan.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Having it welded I should say. I wish I could..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 23

Jump to: