Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 Fan Hub Spacer
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Fan Hub Spacer Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
I have one of those snout fans with the rubber tip. I was saving it for the 1700cc engine I will eventually build.

Anything about that fan I need to be concerned with?

Just check that it has the correct timing marks for your application.

The 411/412 and 914 used that fan casting.....but used two different timing marks....and had no notches in the pulley. I do not know how many bus specific fans with the snout were made but they should have been on the 1972. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Fan Hub Spacer Reply with quote

Thanks. I will keep that in mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Fan Hub Spacer Reply with quote

Steve - when you build that engine you can follow the procedure I wrote for finding TDC. With the flywheel on and the cylinders on you use a dial indicator to find a .020" drop either side of TDC and make a thin mark on the flywheel at the part line. Then divide in half and that is center. Later when the engine is assembled and the fan on and timing gauge in place you put the engine on that TDC mark and compare it to the timing gauge. I used an engraving pencil to make my mark so that it is always there. Anytime the engine is out I can compare the timing gauge accuracy.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Fan Hub Spacer Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Steve - when you build that engine you can follow the procedure I wrote for finding TDC. With the flywheel on and the cylinders on you use a dial indicator to find a .020" drop either side of TDC and make a thin mark on the flywheel at the part line. Then divide in half and that is center. Later when the engine is assembled and the fan on and timing gauge in place you put the engine on that TDC mark and compare it to the timing gauge. I used an engraving pencil to make my mark so that it is always there. Anytime the engine is out I can compare the timing gauge accuracy.

1) "...then divide in half and that is center."

You mean on either side of the .020" measurements, or in other words, the middle point between the range of that?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Fan Hub Spacer Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
SGKent wrote:

1) "...then divide in half and that is center."

You mean on either side of the .020" measurements, or in other words, the middle point between the range of that?

yes - TDC is fairly wide when you turn the flywheel but a piston drop of .020" can be scribed as a line. Then on the other side of the drop. Measure the difference between the 2 lines - say it is two inches - TDC would be 1/2 way or an inch from both lines. I use .020" but you could use .015" to .040" etc., as long as it is the same on both sides of the drop. Put the dial indicator on the top of the piston at the wrist pin area otherwise the piston can rock and throw your measurements off. Then check your fan mark against the gauge or make one if it is the style that doesn't have one. Remember - you are marking TDC, and not where the rotor is on the distributor. The distributor rotor and cam will pass your TDC mark twice in an engine cycle. You will still need to figure which TDC of the 4-cycle you are on the cam to drop in the distributor. This will simply allow you to accurately time the engine. My gauge was off about 3 or 4 degrees as I recall. If I set it to factory at idle that is about 32 BDTC on my timing. Add 3 or 4 and I would have been at 35 to 36 BTDC full in which burned a hole in a piston on a T1 I used to own. When my gauge is at zero, my flywheel mark is on the part line. I check it any time the engine has been out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Fan Hub Spacer Reply with quote

Steven I think you may have helped me with a little issue I discovered in this 2.0 engine, I was thinking that spacer was associated with the accessory pulley off of my 1.8....
Yeah, I'll inspect the crankshaft pulley seal for damage, and reinstalled the fan with the proper spacer.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Fan Hub Spacer Reply with quote

It's easy to overlook, but will cost you some time to rectify if the engine is installed. Fairly easy if the engine is still on the bench.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Fan Hub Spacer Reply with quote

Dangit. I don't remember seeing this spacer on my 72 1700 rebuild. I'm nearly certain. I used the same triple square bolts that came out and didn't see any wear on that seal during disassembly.

I have the earlier fan with the recessed holes for the 3 bolts.

But wait. I am still using the old a/c pulley on mine. Wonder if I should still check mine out.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Fan Hub Spacer Reply with quote

Hey Ralph, if you use the AC pulley, you don't need the spacer. They're almost the exact same thickness. Either way, make sure you really clean the fan hub flanges, pulley surfaces, and fan surfaces that contact each other. Gunk in their can cause runout/wobble issues in the fan that are easily and cheaply prevented. (This means INSIDE the fan inner hole too!)

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Fan Hub Spacer Reply with quote

The spacer is used on lieu of the pulley, run one or the other, it doesn't matter unless of course you need the pulley for some reason.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: