Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

steering opinion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently noticed that VW Tech Bob is selling rebuilt steering boxes. Looks like you better know who did the actual rebuilding. Otherwise you are better off going with a new box.
vwmaniaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an old 59 splitty with a lot of play and it had a metal gasket under the 4 bolt cover that was layered. Couldn't notice it was that way till I took it off and cleaned it up. Had layers of copper approximately .005 thick. Mine had play too in the wheel and I could feel the worm moving up and down. Pulled one layer off the metal gasket and TaDah, play gone. Drove great after that. Maybe just dumb luck. Don't know or care, but thats what fixed mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I saw where Wolfgang has rebuilt boxes for about that price. I would be interested in results from anyone who has tried one of these rebuilt boxes. Busboys has on their site only the new Brazilian ones for the late bays.

I have had a Wolfgang box for about 3-4 years now. No problems.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mywifesghia wrote:
SGKent wrote:
I saw where Wolfgang has rebuilt boxes for about that price. I would be interested in results from anyone who has tried one of these rebuilt boxes. Busboys has on their site only the new Brazilian ones for the late bays.

For the '72? (Is that the same as the early box or the late box?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
mywifesghia wrote:
SGKent wrote:

For the '72? (Is that the same as the early box or the late box?)

It is 68-72 specific.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's where earlies wear. And only with a couple thousandths wear on the shaft or in the housing bore it results in a hefty sounding clank whenever sttering force shifts from one direction to the other.

It's not the end of the world or time to scrap the parts. Once we run out of good condition boxes that's all we will be left with. Solution is to precision grind the shaft and bore the housing and fit a sleeve. At the same time the sleeve can be setup for improved lubrication.

Some rebuilt boxes are a joke. We once got one from CIP and it was nothing more than a repainted junkyard trashed box with new paint. First turn and it locked up tight. Fortunately is was still in the driveway
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ i was trying to find that thread. that rebuilt box was friggen scary.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a LOT more NOS boxes for sale over the years for early Bays but virtually none for the late bays.When I see a "New" box for sale for 150-200 dollars that should be a HUGE red flag to the buyer. And if there is a core charge and they are calling it "New" common sense should dictate what their definition of new is. My understanding is EIS parts and Wolfgang have good reputations based on friend's experiences with both of them. There are "New" boxes being made in Spain.....supposedly. The bottom line is to form a relationship with purveyors who have treated you well and know what they are talking about. And stick to those purveyors. Those that surf the Internet searching for the cheapest price for a part are not doing this hobby any favors...in fact they are destroying it!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mispost

Last edited by Wasted youth on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: steering opinion Reply with quote

I am aware of the age of this thread, and equally aware that Steve is still around. I have a few questions:

What are the SKF part numbers on those boxes?

How did you select the correct new ball bearings?

http://kentcomputer.com/77VW/zgear.jpg

SGKent wrote:
Someone asked me tonight, in a round about way how do you rebuild a late box. What about parts?

Let me be really clear on this. You need a good unworn box to begin with, preferably something off a low mileage bus that has been sitting on a shelf for 20 years and needs new seals because they have hardened. When I was looking for a good box for this restoration, I threw away quite a few boxes because they were too worn when they were opened up - mostly due to being run bone dry.

Once you find that low mileage box and you want to rebuild it, bearings and seals are available. Even a middle mileage box can often be rebuilt if it has not been run dry. If you see hollowing out on the gears or roller they are too far gone to be a good core to rebuild. Look for another. If you aren't up to it remember that a steering component failure can cause accidents and even death so don't take on a task you aren't qualified for.

So....

The luxury of finding a low mileage box isn't generally possible. Anything we need to think about before taking one of these apart as far as order of alignment, parts positioning getting confused, reassembly traps, etc?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: steering opinion Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
The luxury of finding a low mileage box isn't generally possible. Anything we need to think about before taking one of these apart as far as order of alignment, parts positioning getting confused, reassembly traps, etc?

I'm assuming you haven't seen this?

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=11096
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: steering opinion Reply with quote

I saw just the title, but my 1973 steering box is not the same, it is like Steve's... so I did not read it. I will take a second look.

Edit: It appears that article focuses on the early steering box.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Thanks Bob - This really is the Holy Grail for Bays. Don't know how you do it but we need to send you to Washington to teach them how to procure things.

This one was made in 1982 West Germany by ZF so it post dates the last German Bay ever made made. They don't fit Vanagons as they are rack and pinion. No question that it is NOS. Bet these are the last two in the world or close to it.

Cant't thank you enough for sharing.

I'll take reading on the torque to spin and thru center for a NOS unit, then post here as soon as I can.

SK

Did you ever post a turning torque for this box?

Thank you
Tcash
type36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread but, Here is an interesting write up by a local who rebuilt a late RHD Bay box and documented, he also has continued to rebuild, I just bought one as mine was corroded internally, absolutely top notch rebuild.... Process would be the same for the LHD box.

https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/79-bay-worm-and-roller-steering-box-repair.50327/

I also made the output shaft dust seal last night so I could keep the road grime off the oil seal as I couldn't find anyone who sold them, not exact but fits nicely and will work..

[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: