Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

That decklid edge is sitting so sweet! More pics please, congrats on your efforts to date with the resto.
nax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

any updates? Laughing
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Second that.

Don
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

You guys are so impatient! Lol.

My plan was to have it ready for the local car show in April... but I’ve got some competing priorities so I decided rather than rush it and not be happy, I’ll continue to build throughout summer and enjoy the process rather than rush.
I’m working full time now which means less time for everything!

But, here’s a small teaser Smile

Once again, huge thanks to my friend Dale as he’s been my rock when it comes to assembly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Wow, that paint looks amazing!! I'm jealous now, I never realized how stunning Ultramaroon could be.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Wow, the more things get assembled the better that Ultramaroon is looking!!! Nice bandaid.... Laughing Those headliner tabs can reach out and get ya quick!!!
Good call on taking it slow during the reassembly with fresh paint. That is the last place you want to be in a hurry. This car looks so nice...I can't wait to get my 55' Ultramaroon car to this stage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

The car looks great Charmaine! You’re at the fun part (except the door assembly), enjoy it and take your time. You’ve earned it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

It looks beautiful. Take your time, make sure it's as perfect as you can make it and don't settle for less. You've come too far to compromise now. Very impressive!
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Beautiful, well done. It will be a lovely example of an early oval, take your time and don't rush it.
Keep the photos coming.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
rather than rush it and not be happy, I’ll continue to build throughout summer and enjoy the process rather than rush.

this!

looks amazing!
getgeoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

It's nice to see you smiling again. When I meet you at the great Canadian in Vancouver and your tell me of your troubles it's good to know your making positive progress now.
getgeoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I wished I was at your stage with my ultra

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

It is looking extremely nice! Keep up the good work both with the refit and updates! Ultramaroon is such a great colour! Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Awesome!!! My old favorite color was Agave Green, but I've been converted.....!
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Converted so much, you had to say it twice!

Charmaine, I can't remember if you posted up the paint brand that your painter used? Do you think you can get the paint code too?
I have found 2 paint brands, Global and PPG. Neither one looks very close to the original chip. And I have nothing on my car to compare with. Your car seems to be one of the closest I've seen recently. Belairman's brothers 54' is another great example. But your car looks darker under the shop lighting that I prefer. I've seen several cars that have a "Rosy" look to it that I don't want.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Converted so much, you had to say it twice!

Charmaine, I can't remember if you posted up the paint brand that your painter used? Do you think you can get the paint code too?
I have found 2 paint brands, Global and PPG. Neither one looks very close to the original chip. And I have nothing on my car to compare with. Your car seems to be one of the closest I've seen recently. Belairman's brothers 54' is another great example. But your car looks darker under the shop lighting that I prefer. I've seen several cars that have a "Rosy" look to it that I don't want.

Thanks everyone for all the positive encouragement Cool

The paint was a challenge... I didn’t like much. Some Ultramaroon looks too fake skin-color like, you know, like someone’s nude coloured bra.

After a couple spray outs, I too decided that I preferred something a little more brownish gray and less pink. I think Type 1 Restorations just did a 55 ultramaroon car and I did not care for the color at all... which helped me because I then got to see the color on the car and steered me away from PPG’s version of ultramaroon, which is very pink.

This is actually a PPG paint. It’s Audi’s ‘toffee braun’ sprayed over a grey base, not black as was intended.
PPG
VAG.H8Z:09
LH8Z/4Q4Q
Toffeebraun/graciosa brown mts 2ct
Mf7-64688

Hope this helps! I am just in love with the color.

I have a video the inside of the speaker grill block off plate compared to the car if you want to see it, just pm me and I’ll email it to you.
2016 Golf R - my daily
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Thank you!

Don
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Second Air Force wrote:
Awesome!!! My old favorite color was Agave Green, but I've been converted.....!

Agave is a close second for me Wink
2016 Golf R - my daily
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Hey Charmaine,
Keep up the great work with your resto. Just something I've noticed, you did not include the wind lace on your B pillars.

This is the wind lace and what it should look like by edge of door opening.

Thought I would let you know given your doing your interior now. If you don't fix it there will be a significant gap between the B pillar and the door edge when the door is closed.
The wind lace is sewn into the headliner material and squeezed into the grippers and hammered down. Chris Vallone from Classic VW has an excellent 6 part video on instalment of the headliner with the third part video addressing the wind lace on the B pillar. Attached is the video. https://youtu.be/TWzq5MrIpeM
Cheers Sash
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Srecko wrote:
Hey Charmaine,
Keep up the great work with your resto. Just something I've noticed, you did not include the wind lace on your B pillars.

This is the wind lace and what it should look like by edge of the door opening.

Thought I would let you know given your doing your interior now. If you don't fix it there will be a significant gap between the B pillar and the door edge when the door is closed.
The wind lace is sewn into the headliner material and squeezed into the grippers and hammered down. Chris Vallone from Classic VW has an excellent 6 part video on instalment of the headliner with the third part video addressing the wind lace on the B pillar. Attached is the video. https://youtu.be/TWzq5MrIpeM
Cheers Sash

Sorry that pic was before the windlace got installed!
It’s the seat fabric now with the piping.

Thanks for the catch; I’m on it!
I had uploaded the photo but didn’t post it as I knew someone would notice! And I was too lazy to go back and add the correct ones Laughing
2016 Golf R - my daily
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 53

Jump to: