Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is there a RACK and PINION kit out there for type 1s?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1lostVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good question. I have made my bug RHD, has drop spindles and air ride. The steering hits the body at times, & I want to use the dampened steering, unless I can find a way with a rack. I've found this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was thinking of using a manual Honda rack from an older civic and making a similar set up, that or using a second gearbox as an idler arm. Making a center link set up.
jhoefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaison710 wrote:
This is a good question. I have made my bug RHD, has drop spindles and air ride. The steering hits the body at times, & I want to use the dampened steering, unless I can find a way with a rack. I've found this

I was thinking of using a manual Honda rack from an older civic and making a similar set up, that or using a second gearbox as an idler arm. Making a center link set up.

Since your car is RHD, you could actually take a LHD superbeetle rack and flip it over to work with a standard beetle's rear steer spindles. You can do the same with the rack shown as that is a front steer rack.
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rack and pinion steering is better by far, whether or not you like your steering box ,thats just what they had back then. most cars had them. now almost all cars have racks because there better. there is a lot of work to get it in there right and really the super beetle one isnt a good one because it is designed for a arms. they pivot different then a beam. really if you think about it the way the tie rods are mounted in a bug with one long arm and one short arm and the fact that the suspension moves up and down with a front to back arc, the bump steer is bad. specially on the driver wheel with the short arm. if you mount a rack you need the tie rods to attach in the middle so both tie rods will be as long as possable. this will work way better than a steering box and anybody who thinks it wont just hasnt drivin there bug with this set up. Very Happy
FlashTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a RACK and PINION kit out there for type 1s? Reply with quote

Been trying to get my facts correct about R&P setup on a linkpin beam. I seen vw polo rack and long tie rods being mentioned but then like everywhere I read it just ends up in the words ball joints.

Noticed that this thread was a bit old. But it's about the subject.

So does anyone have a final solution for making this work?
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a RACK and PINION kit out there for type 1s? Reply with quote

Pretty sure Mendeola has what you need.

FlashTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a RACK and PINION kit out there for type 1s? Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:

That is really really cool but it's also very very overkill for the application I want. I'm just looking for a simple R&P application. Most likely I will be fabricating most part of it myself by the looks of it
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a RACK and PINION kit out there for type 1s? Reply with quote

I'm sure someone mentioned the late SB with the factory R&P setup. But here is what you're looking for. They can build configurations too.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0013

Have fun
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FlashTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a RACK and PINION kit out there for type 1s? Reply with quote

This is what I'm looking at for the moment, an R&P from an older VW polo but I'm having a bit of problem to find the thing I circled on the picture. Does anyone know where to find this part, otherwise I'll have to make one myself Very Happy

flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a RACK and PINION kit out there for type 1s? Reply with quote

it would be easy to make
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HBRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a RACK and PINION kit out there for type 1s? Reply with quote

FlashTec wrote:
This is what I'm looking at for the moment, an R&P from an older VW polo but I'm having a bit of problem to find the thing I circled on the picture. Does anyone know where to find this part, otherwise I'll have to make one myself Very Happy

I looked at the setup a few years back, when the kit was still available. There is also a black metal frame that the rack is mounted to, which would ‘t Be to hard to fabricate. The fuel tank must also be channeled for the steering shaft.
DOBBY-SA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a RACK and PINION kit out there for type 1s? Reply with quote

Looks like you can get a kit from the UK / France with the same rack, also looks as if they made their own tie rod and damper mount, still quite pricey....

https://www.mecatechnic.com/en-GB/kerscher-steering-rack-for-beetle_VJ51452.htm[/url]

The problem I have is that I've got a right hand drive beetle Confused

For full overkill there's this thing...

https://www.red9design.co.uk/wishbones.htm[/url]

Related posts on The Samba

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...rt=0[/url]

And a post related to that...

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,16738.0.html[/url]
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a RACK and PINION kit out there for type 1s? Reply with quote

FlashTec wrote:

You can get them here.

https://www.mecatechnic.com/en-GB/_C120277.htm
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a RACK and PINION kit out there for type 1s? Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:

SPLOOSH.
that is all...
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a RACK and PINION kit out there for type 1s? Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
FlashTec wrote:

You can get them here.

https://www.mecatechnic.com/en-GB/_C120277.htm

Kerscher is the manufacturer of the kit:
https://www.kerscher-tuning.de/kaefer/index.php?gruppe1=Lenkung&gruppe2=Lenkung

Maybe you could contact them for a RHD version?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: