Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery not charging
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclegreen2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Battery not charging Reply with quote

Hello folks, I have a 71 super beetle. I had a new battery installed about three months ago. I've noticed the red light coming on even at high idle. I drove the car a few miles and parked in my drive. When I went back to restart my car the battery was dead. I jumped it with a portable jumper and it started right up. As I said I have seen the red light coming on even at high idle Thanks for your input
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forums

Sounds like its definitely something with your gen/alt. What do you have in the car right now? A generator or an alternator?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unclegreen2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

I don't know how to tell Thanks for your reply
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

unclegreen2 wrote:

Post good pictures, or compare to these (top of drive belt)

Generator
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Alternator

and see www.speedyjim.net/htm/gen.htm
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
unclegreen2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

unclegreen2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

unclegreen2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

judging by the photos looks like an alternator
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

Is the red light on all of the time and is it an internally regulated alternator like in the photo?

If so there are three wires to the alternator: 1. Red one goes to the battery; 2. There is a ground wire that screws to the body of the alternator; 3. There is the warning light wire that is a spaded connector and runs to your dash light.

All wires need to be hooked up so that the battery charges properly. Get your voltmeter out and start checking to see if it is charging property at the alternator (eg red probe to the battery wire terminal and black probe to the alternator body for the ground). While the engine is running it should be 13+ volts and may go up a bit when you rev.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

Post a pic of your engine specifically around the generator/alternator wiring and we can confirm which you have.

Here's a pic of the different charging units that VW has used over the years.

Generators are "cylinders" with an even diameter over the entire length.
Alternators have a narrow body near the fan shroud which then transitions to a larger diameter body at the fan belt end.

All generators have an external regulator (usually located under the rear seat) with three wires (D+, D-, DF) running between the regulator and the generator (one thick and two thin). The regulator has an additional two wire terminals (B+ and #61).

If you have an alternator, there are two types:
    externally regulated
    internally regulated

The internally regulated models have a single thick wire (B+) and a single thin wire (D+).
The externally regulated models have a single thick wire (B+) and three thin wires (D+, D-, DF) that run to the external voltage regulator (VR).
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
unclegreen2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos that definitely helped. Its a bosch AL829n alternator.
The red light is not always on. Just when idling and even then its only on some of the time . But the engine seems to be idling fast enough that the light should be out.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

Sounds like a loose belt. Have you checked it?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
unclegreen2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

How much play should there be in the belt because there is a bit. Sounds like a good place to start. How is the belt tightened?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

Man, I do it by feel. I would guess about 5/8 inch of play, measured at the midpoint of the belt, between the pulleys. Push it in with your finger, towards the interior area of the circle of the belt. Hope that makes sense.

Do you have a manual of any kind? I know it would be in there, with pictures and better writing than I can produce!

Belt gets adjusted by adding or removing shims from between generator pully halves. The extra shims are placed onto the shaft between the nut and the pulley.

Edit - here is a link to Rob and Dave's page on adjusting the belt. Great write up.
http://www.vw-resource.com/fanbelt.html

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
unclegreen2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

I just checked the tension on the belt. It seems to be just right at 5/8 of an inch play when belt is pushed inward at center.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

If the belt play is good....then you need to check voltage at different points in the cycle. Do you have a volt meter? Do you know how to use one?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
unclegreen2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

Yes I have a volt meter and I do know how to use it.
I will check voltage between battery terminals before engine is started and compare the reading after I start the engine.
Where else should I check?
unclegreen2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

I checked the voltage between terminals before starting it was 11.88 volts.
I tried to start the car but it wouldn't start.
I jumped the car with a portable jumper. I then took a reading between the battery terminals while the car was idling high it read about 12.25 volts.

I shut the car down and tried to start it again. It barely started. I had my wife rev the engine and hold it there. When I took the reading this time it read below 12 volts.

So the battery isnt getting charged. Does this mean the alternetor is bad or could it be something else?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

unclegreen2 wrote:
So the battery isnt getting charged. Does this mean the alternetor is bad or could it be something else?

Uncle - get the battery charged up or replaced. Then start the VW and read voltage across the battery terminals at about 2500 rpm; should be about 13.5 to 14.5 volts. If not, not charging correctly.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
JuggButt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

Try replacing the voltage regulator. I had a remanufactured one from NAPA that had lasted for several years and then it failed. I ordered a couple remanufaactured ones on the Internet and they were both bad. I finally spent the extra money and bought a solid state Bosch and never had the problem again. But I should have done that before replacing the generator.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Battery not charging Reply with quote

unclegreen2 wrote:
Thanks for the photos that definitely helped. Its a bosch AL829n alternator.

That should be an internally regulated alternator. They are limited in what tests you can perform. Basically, with a fully charged battery (12.6v at the posts) the voltage reading taken at the battery terminals @2100 rpm should be a min of 13.8v.
This test only works with a fully charged battery. Your battery with an 11.88v reading is nearly zero% state of charge. No wonder it cannot start your engine. Charge your battery.

unclegreen2 wrote:
The red light is not always on. Just when idling and even then its only on some of the time . But the engine seems to be idling fast enough that the light should be out.

While alternators are better at providing output at idle it will not be the full output. You need to raise the rpms to at least 2100rpm to get a good reading of the alternator output. This only works when the battery is fully charged. So your 12.25v reading with a weak battery is meaningless. You cannot judge the quality of your charging system using voltage reading if the battery is not putting out enough voltage. The low battery voltage will draw down the voltage reading.

Once you have a fully charged battery, take readings at these spots:
    Battery terminals
    Fuse box (fuses that have constant 12v even with the ignition OFF)
    Ignition switch (look at the bottom of the steering column and find the thick red wire in the ignition switch plug)
    Fuse box (fuses that are powered by the ignition switch when ON)
    Lowest terminal of the speedo where the three (3) indicator lamps sit.
    Alternator end of the blue #61 wire that runs to the alternator and ends at terminal D+.

This is the path of the current that powers the alternator's field coil. This circuit controls the charge output of the alternator. In a new wiring harness you would expect very little voltage change at all of these spots. There might be a 0.2v drop between the different points along this circuit. With our 40yr old cars with original wiring you can expect as much as 1.0v drop. More than this and it can start to impact the charging system. The current flowing thru the field circuit can drop and result in lower alternator output. It can't hurt to clean up the wiring contacts.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: