Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

75 Tub Bus Timemachine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Shut down day..... who knows?

Made some more progress with installing the interior.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I should install the two screws behind the rear seat?

For Ref. Photo Cred.: EZ Gruv

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

I don't know what Westfalialia used, but a Rivnut would work good.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=riv...mg3dwjud_e
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Congrats on your progress! Say hello next time you cruise the Hudson valley.

That's horrible AC wiring. Don't use that until it's been torn out and put in right.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions how I should install the two screws behind the rear seat?

I used a RivNut when I installed mine in my old bus. Worked great for years!
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

With the help of a neighbor I was able to get the sink/stove cabinet into the bus today.

Before I put in the rear cabinet, I need to swap out the drivers side rear glass and vent wing and replace it with a full piece glass and new rubber.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:

Yeah, use one of Deez...........

https://www.travers.com/poly-nut-set/p/72-450-602/

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
60vwnewengland wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. Since I’m not sure when the next pay check is coming around that $121 tool is a no go. It’s looking like I’ll have to drill and get under there with a bolt do it the old fashion way.

Unless someone can mail me their Rivnut tool?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
notchboy wrote:
60vwnewengland wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. Since I’m not sure when the next pay check is coming around that $121 tool is a no go. It’s looking like I’ll have to drill and get under there with a bolt do it the old fashion way.

Unless someone can mail me their Rivnut tool?

Gas tank is in the way, oh and the firewall and that pesky motor. Unless you have all that out?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

There are cheaper versions on amazon. I just used one last week and it did the job for the arm-slicer fuel neck hole the PO left us. The cheaper ones are shorter and need more hand squeeze pressure. Best eat ‘yer Wheaties....

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

It snowed a couple of weeks ago, so here's a photo of Tub Bus in some DC snow.

We got 8-10 inches, which is a lot of snow for DC. The shut down is over for now, glad I had extra time to put the interior in the bus.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Latest update is updating the westy stove gas line. Went to Home Depot and got a generic gas grill hose and regulator and a 1lb propane tank adapter. Total cost was about $35 for the two parts. Tested and it work. Easy set up and should work well for the 2-3 times a year it will be used.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

The reason your rear seat doesn’t fit (or any of that other stuff likely either),
Is because there is supposed to be a wood floor in there.
Westfalia used some 3/4” (or thereabouts) plywood and some 1/4” (approximately) Masonite for a floor, then carpet.
All of that is going to have to go into place before any of that camper stuff has any chance of fitting correctly.

Might get a good look at a Westy floor if you get the chance..

What’s That Noise?!?
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
The reason your rear seat doesn’t fit (or any of that other stuff likely either),
Is because there is supposed to be a wood floor in there.
Westfalia used some 3/4” (or thereabouts) plywood and some 1/4” (approximately) Masonite for a floor, then carpet.
All of that is going to have to go into place before any of that camper stuff has any chance of fitting correctly.

Might get a good look at a Westy floor if you get the chance..

The interior fits… no issues there. Was only having a hard time with the two rear bolts that hold the rear seat down. Harbor freight riv nuts solved that problem.
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

NICE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Was tired of the glass in the instrument panel rattling around. So I took out the cluster and hot glued the glass and metal ring. Put it back together and all is great!

60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Running good! Drove from DC to Asheville and then CTS was about 1000 miles and no trouble.

Adjusted the valves recently and timing. Lance taught me how to check the static timing. We adjusted the timing because at 2500rpm the strobe light was showing 34 degrees. Adjusted the timing, and at idle w/hoses on to about 13 degress ATDC which brought down the 2500 rpm advance to 32 degrees. I feel like it could use a little more find adjustment to bring it below 32 degrees. Might need to make idle to 14 or 15 degrees ATDC to bring down the max advance?

Otherwise, it’s running great. Here are a couple of photo from a cruise around the Capitol building.

60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Found time to install last cabinet in tub bus! Once I get the Cape Cod Sage motor out of the belly of this thing, I can go camping!

60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Been a pretty solid summer driving tub bus around. We went camping at NPS Prince William Forest in Virginia which was fun.

Went to cars and coffee in Annapolis a couple of time with my neighbor and his 1936 DeSoto

I did have one running issue. What felt like running on two cylinders, it was just running like garbage. I worked my way through the ignition system and confirmed I had spark all the way to the spark plugs. Replaced the point and condenser. Did a valve adjustment. Still ran like poop on two cylinders. I was able to narrow it down to the 1/2 side of the motor. The 3/4 side was running good.

Popped the top off the 1/2 carb and found this in there.

I cleaned it out, blew out the jets, blew out the entire carb, new gasket on top (that I had to resize so the float would contact the needle valve) adjusted the idle and all is good now. Runs great once again.

Might consider installing another fuel filter before the fuel pump.... not sure yet.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

is that yellow paint the in the bowl? LOL!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Yikes! Looks like you were panning for gold with your carb!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: