Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear shock absorbers need replacement ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I was checking my shocks to see if they need to be replaced.

Visual inspection: There is no sign of oil leak on all four.

Bounce test: front shocks are not bouncy at all but both rear shocks are little bouncy when I compare it with fronts.
Dose it mean rear shocks are bad? Or this is normal behavior for a Bug since there is more weight on rear?

Which shock you recommend ( if I need to change the rear shocks)?
1- autozone: Gabriel Guardian Shock
2- autozone: KYB Excel-G Shock
3- Wolfsburg West

Thank you,
Mojan
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

Need some info before we recommend shocks.
Is the car stock or lowered?
What year is your car?
What kind of driving are you going to be doing with your car?
Instagram: Raisedup58
VW's At The Springs
facebook.com/vwsatthesprings
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

If the vehicle is stock height you will want an oil filled shock and not a gas type. Autozone does offer lifetime warranty on shocks.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

If the rear end is sagging, consider air-adjustable shocks to raise it while you're at it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

Disconnect the bottom of the shock, push it up, pull it back. All your answers will be revealed.
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

Raisedup58 wrote:
Need some info before we recommend shocks.
Is the car stock or lowered?
What year is your car?
What kind of driving are you going to be doing with your car?

64 stock. Comfort driving.
I have to say the front shocks are KYB are they gas shocks? but the rears are stock type oil shock.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

don1357 wrote:
Disconnect the bottom of the shock, push it up, pull it back. All your answers will be revealed.

Agree here.
You can't really tell unless you unhook or remove one.
I recently replaced the front shocks on my Bus because they were some wacky old ones. They seemed fine but one was clearly bad when I took it off and and pulled it up and down.

The back might be bouncy/bouncier because of the torsion bars.
The front might be less bouncier than normal if it has gas shocks up front.

I agree on oil shocks too - nicer ride from personal experience

Gas shocks up front really suck in my opinion. Harsh ride.
In the rear can be ok as it will sometimes give you a little more control around corners.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

don1357 wrote:

Will do that today Smile
So since they are oil shocks when I push it up and pull it back I should feel resistance right? This resistance will tell me shocks are good?

Also oil fill shocks don’t expand on their own?
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

mojan_n wrote:
don1357 wrote:

Will do that today Smile
So since they are oil shocks when I push it up and pull it back I should feel resistance right? This resistance will tell me shocks are good?

All the shocks do is slow things down so you don't hit a pot hole and go bouncing into incoming traffic. When you push, you'll feel resistance but it should travel all the way in. When you pull you should feel resistance but it should travel all the way out. that resistance should be there throughout the entire movement; if the shock has play to it, a few inches of travel before there is resistance, they are bad.

If they are good you can still pull them out and paint them.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

The air shocks can ride harsh. If the car is really sagging do consider re indexing the torsion bars.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

don1357 wrote:
mojan_n wrote:
don1357 wrote:

Will do that today Smile

All the shocks do is slow things down so you don't hit a pot hole and go bouncing into incoming traffic. When you push, you'll feel resistance but it should travel all the way in. When you pull you should feel resistance but it should travel all the way out. that resistance should be there throughout the entire movement; if the shock has play to it, a few inches of travel before there is resistance, they are bad.

If they are good you can still pull them out and paint them.

Yes to what he said above and correct, they do not expand on their own like gas shocks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

Okay, I removed the rear oil filled shocks and tested them they are in a good shape Smile I’m done with rear shocks!

Front:
The only thing bothers me is the front KYB GR-2 shocks, they are in good shape but I want to switch to oil filled shock for a better ride. What is your recommendation on oil filled:
Wolfsburg West oil filled or Cofap Oil Filled?
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

Any suggestion:
Wolfsburg West oil filled or Cofap Oil Filled?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

I used WW on a couple Buses and they seem good to me.

I can't speak to the Bug ones or the other brand
cricketseed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

I replaced all four of mine (previous owner had installed gas-filled) with the WW models, and have been happy with them.
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shock absorbers need replacement ? Reply with quote

The reality is that type 1s are lightweight cars, the average compact car weighs at least half a ton more. As such they don't tax the shocks that much; anything from a recognizable brand will work just fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: